dismiss

A Perfect Gentleman: A Novel

by Candace Camp

"Forced to marry an American heiress to save his family, Graeme Parr, Earl of Montclair, vowed their marriage would be in name only. Abigail Price thought handsome, aristocratic Graeme was her knight in shining armor, rescuing her from her overbearing father. But when she was spurned by her husband on their wedding night, Abigail fled home to New York. Now, years later, Abigail has returned. But this sophisticated, alluring woman is not the drab girl Graeme remembers. Appalled by her bold American ways but drawn to her beauty, Graeme follows her on a merry chase through London's elegant ballrooms to its dockside taverns--why is his wife back? What could she want of him now? Torn between desire and suspicion, Graeme fears that Abby, like her unprincipled father, has a devious plan to ruin him. But is Abigail's true desire Graeme's destruction...or winning his love at last?"-- Page [4] of cover.… (more)

The mystery irritated me, the characters were good, and the dialogue was ok. I will read this author again. (Because overall sweet, likeable characters)

This has been a snapshot review by Sam. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Summary
Graema Parr, the Earl of Montclair, was forced to marry an American Heiress. Graeme believed at the time that his new bride was working with her father to force him into the marriage. What he didn't realize that Abigail was in her own sort of prison with her father, and marrying him was her escape and freedom. But Abigail learned in a very painful way that Graeme loved another woman but had little choice to marry her if he wanted to save the title, his family's name and any hope of survival for the future because of the loss of his fathers investments. But after a horridly painful truth that Graeme informed her of, she fled to America, all of her hopes dashes on that night. Now Abigail has returned to England. Wanting to move on with her life and have the family she has always dreamed. As Graeme and Abigail muddle through and discover the truths of the past together they also discovered a endearing love for each other...
The Hero
Graeme has had to make some tough decisions in his life. Graeme was once pretty close to his father, and respected him highly even if there were certain things he didn't approve of. But Graeme's relationship with his father really struggled when he learned about the loss of money and then Graeme was blackmailed by Abigail's father into marriage and to let the woman he truly cared for to let go. Graeme was a hero I wanted to like but there were times I really want to slap him. Especially in the beginning, with how hateful he is toward Abigail who was an innocent bystander of all the manipulation. But I began to soften toward him, especially with the way he is when Abigail returns and they begin anew with each other. What I did like about him was how realistic his character is in many ways, he makes mistakes but he also tries his hardest to improve and be a better human being.
The Heroine
Abigail I just loved from the very beginning of the story. We see her at a young age, much in love and admiration of her new husband until he breaks her heart. Then we see her years later, more self assured and confident. I love her personality, and how more carefree she is in this one. She doesn't let other influences keep her from being happy and going after her dream of being a mother. I really respected her attitude and she is such a likable heroine. From the beginning, you know you are going to like her. She does have some faults though. She tends to jump to conclusions and is a bit stubborn toward the end, but I do like seeing a character that you like but you can also see their vulnerabilities as well.
Plot and Story Line
A Perfect Gentleman is a beautiful and tender romance that will keep you fascinated from page one. I honestly didn't want to put this one down. The writing was typicl Candace Camp....compelling and sweeps you off your feet. I honestly didn't want to put this one down. Now Camp's books have always been able to do this for me. I always know that I can be in for a quick and stunning ride. And this book was no disappointment. I will warn you that it does in some way involve a love triangle but not in the way you expect. Graeme fell in love when he was a young man, but because of what happened with his father he had little choice but to marry for funds to save the title and the family name and had to give up the girl he once loved. Now its years later, and he and his wife reconcile. As they do and go on a mystery hunt to discover the truth about what really happened with his father. I really loved seeing Graeme and Abigail learn each other and explore, and solve this mystery together. There is such a flirtation dialogue that exists between them that is enchanting
"I've a bit of experience with feminine items."
"So you have," Abby stepped closer, settling her hands on either side of his waist.
"Yes," He brushed his lips across her cheek "And they're a damned nuisance."
"Hmm." Abby slid her hand up the front of his waistcoat. "One can only wonder why you continue to deal with them, then."
"Because..." He nipped playfully at the lobe of her ear "The prize is well worth the trouble."
It really brings a certain intimacy between them that is stunning. And one of my favorite side characters is Laura. Laura happens to be the woman that Graeme once loved years previous. And she does get involved in the story toward the end here. But we also discover that everything is not as it seems. I really liked her character so much (and I believe she is the heroine in book 2!) She is kind and likable and the type of woman you want to be your friend. She looks out for Abigail and I don't think she has one mean bone in her body.
The truth is, I want it all---marriage, children...and most of all you."
The Cover
This is such a pretty cover...I just love her pink dress and I love the whole "dancing" set up they have going on. There is such a joyful and romantic feel to it.
Overall View
A Perfect Gentleman is a romantic tale that leads us on a merry chase of a mystery...delving into past emotions and discovering new depths and layers....brilliant and charming! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 26, 2019 |
For my favorite Abby, who keeps the books on tack and has an answer for every question

Abby tucked her hand into Graeme's arms, and they started up the stairs.

Now, years later, Abigail has returned. But this sophisticated, alluring woman is not the drab girl Graeme remembers. Appalled by her bold American ways but drawn to her beauty, Graeme follows her on a merry chase through London’s elegant ballrooms to its dockside taverns—why is his wife back? What could she want of him now?

Torn between desire and suspicion, Graeme fears that Abby, like her unprincipled father, has a devious plan to ruin him. But is Abigail’s true desire Graeme’s destruction...or winning his love at last?
From New York Times bestselling author Candace Camp comes a delicious and steamy marriage-of-convenience historical romance in A Perfect Gentleman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,194,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible