The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway Mysteries) by…

The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway Mysteries) (original 2018; edition 2019)

by Elly Griffiths (Author)

Series: Ruth Galloway (10)

"In this highly atmospheric mystery, Ruth Galloway--described by Louise Penny as "a captivating amateur sleuth"--and DI Nelson have their summer vacations horribly disrupted by a murder in a medieval Italian town where dark secrets are buried as deep as bones"--
Member:losethecovid
Title:The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway Mysteries)
Authors:Elly Griffiths (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

Work Information

The Dark Angel by Elly Griffiths (2018)

Another installment of Ruth Galloway's adventures in old bones, young children and mixed emotions. This time, just as she is feeling the need for a holiday while processing the fact that her erstwhile lover's wife has turned up pregnant, an old colleague (and one-night stand) calls on her to come to Italy and "help him with some bones". So off she goes, with her best friend and both of their little children (ages 6 and 4), on a business-and-pleasure trip to sunny Italia. Which turns out to be much hotter than she remembers, yet filled with ominous shadows. Historic ancient rivalries, remnants of WWII partisanship, and a murdered priest make for few care-free days. Meanwhile, back home, Nelson has his own worries and the other women in his life (wife Michelle and daughter Laura) face some troubling issues as well. Even his dog, Bruno, isn't spared a few bad moments. Lots of entertainment value in this series. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Dec 4, 2021 |
Good, one of the better ones. I’d thought it might finish the series but no there are at least three more!
  MiriamL | Nov 7, 2021 |
Dr Galloway is a great character: fiercely independent, intelligent and resourceful but, lest that makes her sounds dismayingly serious and pious, she also has a strong sense of humour, and a strong atheist side. She is head of Forensic Archaeology at the (fictional) University of North Norfolk, based at King’s Lynn, and lives with her daughter Kate in a cottage by the sea.

Over the years, her academic role has brought her into contact with the police, helping their enquiries whenever bodies are discovered underground. The contact has gone beyond the purely professional, however, and Kate’s father is DCI Harry Nelson, head of the local CID, although he remains married to his beautiful wife, Michelle. There are other awkwardly tangled relationships within Ruth’s world. One of her closest friends is Michael Malone, more commonly known as Cathbad, who is a leading figure among the local druid community. I realise as I type that how bizarre it must seem to anyone reading this who is not familiar with the books. It does, however, make perfect sense within the world of the books. For all his oddness, and almost universal failure to observe prevailing convention, Cathbad is a wonderfully drawn character, and utterly plausible. He lives with Judy Johnson, a Detective Sergeant on Nelson’s team, and they now have two children. Shona, Ruth’s closest female friend, is in a relationship with Phil, head of the Archaeology department and consequently Ruth’s boss.

While the basic premise of each of the novels is fairly similar – a body is found at either an archaeological dig or a construction site, prompting consideration of whether the remains are safely to be considered historical or, if more recent, a police investigation is required – each book stands out on its own merits, and there is never any suggestion of Griffiths employing a formulaic approach.

In this instance, Ruth is invited to Italy to help a former colleague who has encountered some interesting features about a body found in a site that he has been excavating, This particular case is slightly out of the normal round of archaeological digs because it has been followed by a television crew. It transpires that Ruth’s archaeologist friend has become rather a star, having appeared in several previous programmes. It is in this capacity that he has invited Ruth to attend so that she can offer her expert opinion. What she doesn’t know at first is that foremost among the irregularities is a mobile phone found with the body.

Welcoming a chance to visit Italy again after many years, Ruth accepts the invitation and makes arrangements to go, taking Kate and her friend Shona (along with Shona’s young son) with her. Right from their arrival Ruth , although struck by the beauty of her surroundings, is aware of a sense of undefined menace,

I won’t say anything further about the story beyond this basic scene setting. As always, Griffiths develops the story with great care. One of the great joys of this series is how plausible everything is. She depicts the setting, both physically and emotionally, with great detail, lending a comforting robustness. I know nothing about archaeology, but am entirely happy to accept everything that Griffiths, or at least Dr Galloway, tell me about it.

For various reasons (perfectly rationally within the purview of the story), DCI Nelson and Cathbad also find themselves in Italy, immersed in the unfolding story, unaware that another story, equally dramatic, is unfolding back in Norfolk.

I have found in the past that some detective series peter out after a few instalments, generally because the principal protagonists are simply too flimsily or incompletely drawn to sustain frequent exposure to the reader’s scrutiny. This series is one of the few that is not just managing to keep going, but seems to become stronger with each new instalment. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Oct 13, 2021 |
This is one of the cleverest constructs that I have come across in a crime story. What appears to be the main act of villainy turns out to be a throw away and a side crime becomes the main event.

I am in such admiration of this because I, as the author intended, was feeling smug. I had worked out the perpetrator soon after the half way stage: I was smug. My self congratulation reached an impossible pinnacle as I was proved to be correct and then... I was amazed as the story came to its end. Once more, I had totally failed to follow the very real, if well hidden clues as to the denouement.

BRILLIANT. I wish I could award six stars! ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Oct 6, 2021 |
I'm beginning to find this series somewhat of a soap opera instead of a mystery. By the time the murderer was revealed, I'd forgotten that a murder had happened. And there wasn't as much in the way of archaeological information as usual. However, it was riveting and I love the cast of characters, especially Flint and Bruno. ( )
  VivienneR | Sep 20, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

'The grave has lain undisturbed for over two thousand years.' (Prologue)

Scheduled to be released May 15, 2018

In this highly atmospheric mystery, Ruth Galloway—described by Louise Penny as "a captivating amateur sleuth"—and DI Nelson have their summer vacations horribly disrupted by a murder in a medieval Italian town where dark secrets are buried as deep as bones. [retrieved 8/24/2017 from Amazon.com]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,188,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible