The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde by Eve Chase

The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde

by Eve Chase

The Wilding Sisters by Eve Chase is a 2017 G.P. Putnam’s Sons publication.

The Wilde Sisters arrive at the Applecote manor in 1959 to spend the summer with their aunt. The girls, Dot, Flora, Pam, and Margot are close and protective of each other. But, their visit to the lovely country estate is dampened by their aunt’s struggle to overcome her daughter, Audrey’s disappearance, five years earlier. The mystery consumes the girls, but the closer they get to the truth, the closer they come to possible danger, and tensions begin to arise between them over two handsome boys.

Fifty years later, with the memory of her widower husband’s wife constantly surrounding her, Jesse is ready to escape the city. Not only that, her stepdaughter was involved in an ugly incident, which figured into her desire to move. Applecote Manor felt like the perfect place in the perfect setting at the perfect time.
However, trouble starts almost immediately. Her stepdaughter becomes increasingly difficult to handle, her husband is always away at work, and disturbing rumors about the house finally reach her ears. As her stepdaughter becomes nearly obsessed with the strange disappearance of a former resident, Jesse feels her life is slowly unraveling.

This is one of those books I was dying to read, but it just kept slipping down the TBR pile until I gradually lost track of it. Thankfully, while searching for another book in my voluminous Kindle folder, I happened across it and made a point to get started on it. I do recall hearing a lot of buzz about his book when it was first released. I have read other books by Eve Chase and was very impressed with her work. But, what drew me to this one was the constant effusive gushing about the novel’s strong Gothic tones. As a huge fan of Gothic novels, I’m going to have to cry foul on that one, just a little. Yes, there are a few Gothic elements, but I didn’t feel they were as strong or pure as many others have. I was slightly let down on that front, however, the story was very compelling, with dual timelines, and a very atmospheric and absorbing mystery to uncover.

As is usually the case for me, I was drawn more towards the historical elements of the story, but the present -day scenario, while not really adding a lot to the mystery, suggests a possible air of pending doom, which was quite effective, and may have been a slightly underrated element in the story.

The author wound the story around until the two timelines merged in a poignant way, slowly releasing the pent -up tensions, and bringing closure to all in a satisfying way.
I am glad this one didn’t drop completely off my radar. The story has a lot of familial touches, bringing the characters to life in a vivid and emotional way, drawing the reader into their world with lush writing, dialogue, and descriptions. Eve Chase once again impresses. ( )
  gpangel | Oct 21, 2018 |
I liked this story even more than I thought I would. I don't normally read a lot of mystery/suspense type novels, but honestly the Kate Morton review is what really pulled me in here. I LOVE her books, so I figured anything she recommends must be good. This assumption definitely proved right. The characters in this story were so believable, and for me that was one of the real strengths here. The pacing, also, was fantastic and the mystery pulled me in and kept me reading to find out the whole story. I also tend to really love dual timeframe novels, so that really worked for me with this book as well. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I think it would be a great summer read to take to the beach. Definitely recommended! Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
I discovered Eve Chase earlier this year when I read her book “Black Rabbit Hall” which I truly enjoyed. So when I heard she had another book coming out I knew I had to read it. And I was not disappointed. The “Wildling Sisters” is told in dual time lines, summer of 1959 and the other 50 years later. I enjoyed the historical time line much better than the present.

From the first chapter, which completely grabs your attention, there is a fascinating atmosphere of mystery. I could not put this book down; I was in a race to get to the end, although I didn’t want it to end. The story is slow-moving, a very moody Gothic tale. The mystery is maintained throughout the whole book. The only issue I had, I didn’t feel the “past” met the “present” very smoothly, but I would highly recommend this book and author.

4.5* rounded up. ( )
  TraceyTurnsThePage2 | Jul 23, 2018 |
The Wildling Sisters has the components necessary for an interesting novel; however, for me it was only average. The setting, Applecote Manor, is a large home in the Cotswolds. In 1959, four sisters from London arrive to stay with their paternal uncle and his wife for the summer. Their cousin, Audrey, the couple's only child, vanished five years earlier at the age of 12. Fifty years later, a London couple with two children, buy it despite its need for a massive renovation. The earlier story far outweighs the later one in terms of interest. Audrey's disappearance is the mystery and the setting is gothic. The mystery is solved, the sisters' lives revealed and the current owners resolve their difficulties. ( )
1 vote pdebolt | Jul 22, 2018 |
Then in the Summer of 1959 and the Wilde sisters, Flora, Pam, Margot and Dot go to stay with there aunt and uncle at Applecote Manor in the Cotswolds. Five years earlier there cousin Audrey disappeared. Now, Jessie, Will and their two daughters buy Applecote Manor to start a new life.

This book is a dual story about the two families in different times but both connected by the vanishing of Audrey. I really enjoy theses type of stories, which are very much like books by Kate Morton.

This story drew me straight in with the opening chapters with the sister's and what is happening, the dragging of a body. I very much enjoyed the sections of the story devoted to the sisters which is narrated by Margot. The part of the story devoted to Jessie and family is told in the third person. Both timelines do come together and all is resolved.

For me these type of stories are like putting on a pair of comfy slippers. I enjoy the mystery and like to get involved with the characters. I am sorry to leave the sisters lives.

I really enjoyed this book very much but felt the ending did come together a little bit too nicely with everything wrapped up. This is not always a bad thing but sometimes it's nice to have a little twist. However the book was still a good enjoyable read. ( )
  tina1969 | Jun 29, 2018 |
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine.

-- William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
For Ben
None of us can bear to touch his belt, so horrifyingly intimate.

"An evocative novel in the vein of Kate Morton and Daphne Du Maurier, in which the thrill of first love clashes with the bonds of sisterhood, and all will be tested by the dark secret at the heart of Applecote Manor"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible