Death in the Stacks by Jenn McKinley

Death in the Stacks

by Jenn McKinley

Death In The Stacks is the eighth book in the A Library Lovers Mystery series.

Lindsey Norris is looking forward to having a successful Death in the Stacks fundraiser for the library. As she is putting the final touches on the event planning she is also being bullied by Olive Boyle, the library board president. She has threatened to have Lindsey replaced for various unfounded reasons, one of which was the recent hiring of Paula Turner. Boyle claimed she had a violent nature that should have prevented from working at the library.

After a record amount of money raised and the event is winding down, three of Boyle’s friends come looking for her. No one has seen her for a while and a search of the library is begun. Lindsey soon finds Boyle’s body between some bookshelf units and Paula is standing there holding the knife that killed her.

Lindsey believes Paula’s story that she was hiding from Boyle, hoping to avoid any interaction with her and happened to come upon her body.

Lindsey has sworn off doing any sleuthing, but soon Robbie Vine, who has helped her in the past with her sleuthing convinces her that they need to get involved. They soon learn that Lindsey isn’t the only one who has incurred bulling at the hands of Boyle so that there are several suspects to consider.

Most all of the regular characters are back with this well-plotted and told story. Once again Robby provides the reader with chuckles throughout the book. What I particularly enjoyed was that Ms. McKinlay brought the characters from the Mad Hatter shop in London and the Fairy Tale Cupcake Bakery crew from Arizona. Of course, the folks from the Mad Hatter had to one-up each other with their puns.

I’m looking forward to reading the next book in this enjoyable series. ( )
  FredYoder | Jul 31, 2018 |
There are some series I have a tendency to hold back and read when I need a pick-me-up because they're special. Jenn McKinlay's Library Lovers is one such series. I know the author and her publisher would rather I gobbled them up as soon as each new book came off the press, but sometimes a girl just has to have a go-to book when she needs a little extra sunshine in her life.

Death in the Stacks provided me with just what I needed. I was back in the midst of a cast that has become old and dear friends-- especially with cameo appearances from McKinlay's Cupcake Bakery and Hat Shop series characters. Another thing that makes me smile is the continuing evolution of the lemon, Ms. Cole. Ms. Cole proves that there's hope for us all.

Not only did the entire cast keep me smiling (well, not Olive Boyle-- she is a very worthy body in the library), the mystery kept me guessing. There's lots of good misdirection, and I loved how the cupcake and hat shop folks kept appearing and disappearing from Lindsey's suspect list.

All in all, it was another marvelous visit with the gang in Briar Creek, and if there's one quote that I'll take away with me from this book, it's this: "There was nothing she loved better than laughter in the library." Libraries are, indeed, repositories of knowledge, adventure, dreams, and laughter. They are one of the cornerstones of civilization. Thanks, Jenn, for reminding us of this in such an enjoyable way. ( )
  cathyskye | Mar 13, 2018 |
Briar Creek is a great little place to visit. And the library's fundraising event, a Dinner in the Stacks, brings together people from all over, including cameos by some of McKinlay's other characters. No one is really sure why the unpleasant Olive Boyle would want to be the library board president, but she is, and as such, is raising quite a ruckus over the event. With her sites set on taking over Briar Creek and the mayor's job, it's no surprise that she is the body discovered in the stacks. Lindsey has worked hard to make this event a success, and she, along with the other regular characters of the series, make quick work of discovering the villain in this case. ( )
  ethel55 | Mar 2, 2018 |
Thank you, FirsttoRead, for my complimentary review copy.

In this eighth installment of McKinlay's Library Lover's cozy mystery series, Briar Creek librarian and amateur sleuth, Lindsey Norris and her staff are busy preparing for the annual Death in the Stacks fundraiser. Despite the fact that the evening is greatly beneficial to the library, the new board president is more of a hindrance than help. Olive Boyle targets Lindsey and her staff, especially Paula, the newest employee, because she feels that her background makes her a bad fit. And because Lindsey hired her, she is not qualified for her position and Olive wants her out.

On the big night, all is going smoothly until Olive takes the stage. Her performance is cut short and so his her life when Lindsey finds her with none other than Paula crouching over her. Although the evening wasn't planned as a murder mystery, that's what it becomes. And, everyone is a suspect.

This was the first book in the series I read and I liked it. Even though it works as a stand-alone because references are made to returning characters and past events, I, personally, would have enjoyed it more if I had read the series in order. Still, it was a fun read with a good story, quirky characters, and lots of humor, play-on-words, and puns.

The cozy mystery genre is one I recently got into, thanks to Kate Carlisle, mentioned in this book, and author of the Fixer-Upper and Bibliophile mystery series(I am fortunate to be a member of her review crew, Kate's Raters). I especially enjoy books about books and this one was a good intro to the series. I look forward to reading more by this author. ( )
  kulmona | Feb 3, 2018 |
Death in the Stacks (Library Lover's Mystery, #8)

This is the first installment I read/listened in the series...an across the board mild cozy suitable for everyone....
could function well as a stand alone.....reviewed as possible cozy for F2F reading group. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 18, 2018 |

In the latest Library Lover’s Mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Better Late Than Never, the library’s big fund-raiser leaves director Lindsey Norris booked for trouble . . .

Lindsey Norris and her staff are gearing up for the Briar Creek Library’s annual Dinner in the Stacks fund-raiser. The night of dinner and dancing is not only a booklover’s dream—it’s the library’s biggest moneymaker of the year. But instead of raising funds, the new library board president is busy raising a stink and making the staff miserable.

Although Olive Boyle acts like a storybook villain, Lindsey is determined to work with her and make the event a success. But when Olive publicly threatens the library’s newest hire, Paula, Lindsey cracks like an old book spine and throws Olive out of the library.

The night of the fund-raiser, Lindsey dreads another altercation with Olive—but instead finds Paula crouched over Olive’s dead body. Paula may have secrets, but Lindsey and the rest of the crafternooners know she’s not the one who took Olive out of circulation. As the plot thickens, Lindsey must catch the real killer before the book closes on Paula’s future . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 27 Mar 2017 09:48:49 -0400)

"Lindsey Norris and her staff are gearing up for the Briar Creek Library's annual Dinner in the Stacks fund-raiser ... but instead of raising funds, the new library board president is busy raising a stink and making the staff miserable. When Olive publicly threatens the library's newest hire, Paula, Lindsey cracks like an old book spine and throws Olive out of the library. The night of the fund-raiser, Lindsey ... finds Paula crouched over Olive's dead body. Paula may have secrets, but Lindsey and the rest of the crafternooners know she's not the one who took Olive out of circulation"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,840,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible