End Game (Will Robie Series) by David…

End Game (Will Robie Series) (edition 2017)

by David Baldacci (Author)

Member:lcjohnson1988
Title:End Game (Will Robie Series)
Authors:David Baldacci (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2017), Edition: 1st Edition, 416 pages
Rating:*

End Game by David Baldacci

Synopsis: Reel and Robie are trying to find the Blue Man who has disappeared in a tiny Colorado mountain town. They become involved with white supremacists, neo-Nazis, isolationists, and at least one undercover G-man. There is so much conflicting information that they don't know who to trust or what to believe. However, it's their job to risk life and limb to keep the US safe.
Review: Lots of guns, ammo, and violence. However, the story holds up and it is interesting enough to maintain interest. ( )
  DrLed | Jul 26, 2018 |
I have really enjoyed this series. "The Innocent" and the "The Guilty" being my two favorites. This one was just okay. Too much technical aspects of guns and ammunition. I thought that too many of the good people were killed off.... I'd recommend the book because it is part of a series, and currently the last book in series, but the ending left the door wide open for more of Will Robie and Jessica Reel. I hope so. ( )
  RobertaLea | May 22, 2018 |
The cover blurb is misleading and it has to be said! That blurb about a threat to a great city is dealt with in the first two chapters! The rest of the book is devoted to a hunt for Blue Man (Robie and Reel's director) who has mysteriously disappeared. Most of the rest of the book is centres on Colorado and the hunt to find their chief, whose disappearance is a great threat to National Security. Robie and Reel meet a variety of groups of people, a cult, a man with grand designs for saving the lives of the richest in the world come the apocalypse of nuclear war, and understanding the relationships involved is a complex problem in itself. A great deal of information has to be acquired, utilising the local police and the FBI as well as their own talents and contacts.
It is quite a puzzling problem for them to solve, but when they doe, and come to the "End Game" of the title, it is very taut and becomes unputdownable.
Will there be more Robie and Reel? I don't know, but the ending left me wondering. ( )
  Alan1946 | Apr 10, 2018 |
David Balacci is one of my preferred authors. Luckily for me, END GAME is not the first thriller of his I've read. If it were, it would be the last. It certainly is the last of the Will Robie series.

Target killers Will Robie and Jessica Reed were paid by the US government to kill people who plotted actions against United States. END GAME opens with Robie being sent to London to destroy a group plotting to use a cobalt bomb against the US. The thermonuclear device would leave a large area contaminated for 100 or more years. In the first three chapters, he accomplishes his mission in a day, killing 16 people in the process.

Reed was on a similar mission in Iraq. She killed 35 terrorists but her entire crew was also killed which makes her feel like a loser..

They were not back in Washington DC very long before they were sent on an assignment to locate their handler, Blue Man, who had disappeared. He was last seen in Colorado where he had returned for a vacation in his hometown, Grand. The town was very isolated, had only two members in its police department, was not doing well economically, and had become a gathering place for crimes, drugs, and militant fringe groups.

Robie and Reed tried valiantly to get some clues about what might have happened to Blue Man but faced the usual obstacles: witnesses who wouldn’t talk, people who lied, becoming targets themselves, and a boss demanding instant results.

In addition, the close relationship they had seemed to have fallen apart and Robie can’t understand why. Reed would not explain it. There are frequent references to previous activities covered in other books, primarily in Mississippi with Robie's family. If you haven't read his earlier books, you will not get much information here. Their inclusion does not seem necessary.

Some interesting commentary that relates to current time:

"Democracies are clearly the weakest form of government there is.… [People] are free. To live in chaos. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Too many people with a place at the table. Too many voices in the room. People are idiots. They don't know what they want a to get as much as they can at the expense of their neighbor.… The most efficient the longest lasting form of government is without debates, autocratic. One commands and others obey. People deride that is evil. I would say then that the world dearly needs more evil.

"People don't want freedom. People want to be safe, democracies cannot provide that. But one person with the requisite power can.

"I don't have to overthrow the United States… I just had to change the perspective of some in a few key places.… By making it simple my focus is complete and my odds of success are far greater.”

“I found the guys who inherit [from a rich parent] often have a chip on their shoulder. The man breaks too much about how successful the is. Somebody who earned it probably wouldn't feel the need.”

One character was described as someone with the classic narcissistic personality.

The characters are exaggerated stereotypes. There are lots of killings and a few somewhat graphic sex scenes. Most of the chapters are about three pages long with the story continuing the new chapter. Tremendous waste of paper and an insult to readers who do have an attention span. ( )
  Judiex | Mar 25, 2018 |
David Baldacci's 'End Game' is probably the 'end game' for me with Baldacci novels. Totally pedestrian writing, wooden dialogue, unrealistic action, and a bunch of situations that should cause readers to say 'huh?', combine with a fairly silly plot to create a book I couldn't wait to finish. I thought about bailing several times, but thought it might improve.....not.

In this installment of the Will Robie series, Robie and Reel, two kick-ass CIA types, are called in to locate their 'boss', a.k.a. 'Blue Man', who's disappeared somewhere in eastern Colorado while on a solo vacation. He has tons of government secrets that must be protected at all costs (which would lead to my first major question: why send only 2 agents?). In short order, the agents arrive at the small town that was Blue Man's vacation base as well as his original home town, seemingly without possessing any real advance intelligence about the area and its inhabitants (again, they work for one of the most sophisticated and capable areas of US law enforcement and they venture to a remote area blind?) and manage to piss off virtually the entire population. Since that population seems to be largely comprised of skinheads, 'sovereign citizens', and various other nutcases, fully armed, that might be problematic for most people, but not Robie and Reel. They're apparently never outnumbered and they never miss when they shoot!

Is 'Blue Man' found? Does he survive? Is the sexual tension between Robie and Reel ever resolved? How about between Robie and the local female sheriff? Unfortunately, if you really care you need to slog through about 400 pages of mediocre writing to find out. Don't say you weren't warned. ( )
  gmmartz | Mar 6, 2018 |

Will Robie returns home from a mission overseas to discover that his boss--codenamed Blue Man--has vanished. His last known location was in remote Colorado, and there have been no other sightings or communications since. But there is violence brewing in this small town, and Robie and his sometime-partner Jessica Reel will be lucky if they make it out alive, with or without Blue Man.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,835,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible