Reaching for the Light by TL Katt

Reaching for the Light

by TL Katt

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reaching for the Light contains 2 short stories dealing with issues of mental illness; depression and PTSD.
This book helps increase awareness and openness of mental health issues and their complicated processes. The stories are on the lighter side leaving you wanting to know more about the characters as they continue on in life. A very enjoyable read and recommend book. ( )
  Debbiesbooks | Jun 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed both of the short stories in this ebook - both of them were uplifting and entertaining. An easy read - finished in an hour - so great for a train or bus journey. Due to their brief nature, the issues involved were not explored in that much death, but I still found them worthwhile. ( )
  Cfraser | Jun 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an early reviewers copy of this book. I did enjoy the stories. I found myself wanting to know more about the characters though. Almost as if the "short stories" were a bit too short. I felt areas were a bit rushed and felt like I didn't have enough lead up to certain areas. Overall I was entertained by the stories. ( )
  chelsbaccs | Jun 5, 2017 |
Having received the ebook edition, I had high hopes for the two short stories within given the focus on mental health. There were times I empathised with the main character in the first story in terms of her social anxiety and the growing feelings for her roommate she was trying to quash were sensitively handled. The second story pulled my rating down unfortunately as I don't think enough emphasis was given to developing the character or exploring her mental health. A quick diagnosis at the end seemed rather hastily mentioned to tie the novella a bit more firmly into the mental health theme.

I applaud the authors for collaborating and working towards increasing openness about mental illness and wonder if they could revisit the characters to see where their paths took them. ( )
  Jo_Williams | Jun 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was quite surprised that this was a novella-styled ebook with only two stories in it. I had mixed feelings about the two stories in this ebook.

The first one, "High Heels and Ice Cream" was a decent story. I thought the narrator was somewhat sympathetic as she is trying to stem her growing affection towards her female roommate.

I wasn't keen on the second story, "Bloom". The overall story felt a tad bit rushed despite it doing a fine job showing how the main character of this story is dealing with the aftereffects of domestic violence. ( )
  saint_kat | May 12, 2017 |
I thought these two stories, in the anthology "Reaching for the Light," were interesting in that their focus was on mental illness. Too often this subject is not discussed, or there is a stigma to it. I felt the authors were able to deal with this important subject in an easy way and I also think that metaphorically speaking, the topic of gay characters were a good comparison. Mental illness remains stigmatized, as does homosexuality, but at least there is more of a dialogue about homosexuality these days. I liked the characters and flow of both of the stories, and the differences in each author's work. I would definitely recommend these stories.
added by Tree1882 | editmember review, tree1882 (May 3, 2017)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

TL Katt's book Reaching for the Light is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible