How to stop time by Matt Haig

How to stop time (edition 2018)

by Matt Haig

Collections:Audio books, Read in 2018, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:read-in-2018, audio-books-2018

How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

English (45)  German (1)  All languages (46)
there are some gems in here: moments of humor, succinct observation on the human condition, quotable quotes but it feels like there’s a lot to “wade through” too - the structure is a repetitive and tidy back and forth - maybe too interruptive ? too repetitive ? ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Ehhhhh wasn’t really great but wasn’t bad. Just kinda there and it passed the time on my commute. I combined the physical book and audio version. Interesting concept but just didn’t wow me. 3-3.5 🌟 ( )
  karenvg3 | Nov 8, 2018 |
This was the second novel chosen by my book club, following The Immortalists. Having read The Humans, The Radleys and Reasons to Stay Alive (I haven’t reviewed the last), I’d had more experience of Haig than the others and so knew vaguely what to expect: the use of speculative fiction to explore what it means to be human. But I was interested to hear the opinions of my friends, who don’t know Haig so well, and so this post combines my own thoughts with some of the discussion points that came up during our meeting. Our hero is Tom Hazard, mild-mannered London history teacher, who has one major advantage over others in his field: he’s actually seen most of what he teaches. For Tom was born in 1581 and has spent almost five centuries coming to terms with the dark and light in human nature, trying to understand what makes a good life. It’s a promising concept, but there are a couple of problems with the way it’s used: first, it’s not an original concept; and secondly, we found ourselves wondering whether Tom is really interesting enough as a character to warrant five centuries of our attention...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2018/09/01/how-to-stop-time-matt-haig/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Nov 7, 2018 |
I've read other books about people who can live forever, or to an incredibly old age, but they have usually been vampire stories. Frankly, I've liked those books better than this one. Tom Hazard was born in 1581 with a condition of unknown origin that made him age very, very slowly. He and the other people with this condition have been forced to uproot their lives frequently so that they are not discovered and burned as witches, subjected to scientific experiments or faced with other imagined horrors. Tom fell in love and married once and they had a daughter Marion who inherited Tom's condition. Tom became separated from his family and he spent the rest of his life searching for Marion.

You would think that in 500 years Tom would have done something interesting or exciting or useful, but that is not the case. He moped. He also met some famous people like Shakespeare and Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, who are name dropped for no reason. I know that it wasn't the intent of the author to write an adventure story or speculative fiction. He wanted to tell a story about the meaning and purpose of life and how to use the time we have. However I found the philosophy trite and the ending of the book really sappy. I didn't hate this book, but I was unmoved by it.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. ( )
  fhudnell | Oct 14, 2018 |
I would like to think that someone who is 500 years old would be less self-absorbed and whiny than the narrator of this book. Tom has lived since Elizabethan times, and because he never ages he has to move and create a new life every 8 years or so or people become suspicious. He has a daughter who he hasn't seen since she was a child, but he suspects she shares his longevity and wants to find her. So this story is full of him complaining about how lonely he is, obsessing over the loss of his first love and his daughter, and reminiscing about Elizabethan England. The end seems very abrupt, which is mostly because there isn't really any plot to the book, so there's nothing for it to build up to. I won't go so far as to say I regret reading it, but I felt like Haig could have done something more interesting with his premise, or at least given his main character more depth. ( )
  Gwendydd | Sep 26, 2018 |

Matt Haigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meadows, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riddell, ChrisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Andrea
I often think of what Hendrich said to me, over a century ago, in his New York apartment.

Eternally young, longing for true connections. I can trust no one. (PeggyDean)

Tom Hazard has a dangerous secret. He may look like an ordinary 41-year-old, but owing to a rare condition, he's been alive for centuries. Tom has lived history--performing with Shakespeare, exploring the high seas with Captain Cook, and sharing cocktails with Fitzgerald. Now, he just wants an ordinary life. So Tom moves back to London, his old home, to become a high school history teacher--the perfect job for someone who has witnessed the city's history first hand. Better yet, a captivating French teacher at his school seems fascinated by him. But the Albatross Society, the secretive group which protects people like Tom, has one rule: Never fall in love. As painful memories of his past and the erratic behavior of the Society's watchful leader threaten to derail his new life and romance, the one thing he can't have just happens to be the one thing that might save him. Tom will have to decide once and for all whether to remain stuck in the past, or finally begin living in the present. How to Stop Time is a bighearted, wildly original novel about losing and finding yourself, the inevitability of change, and how with enough time to learn, we just might find happiness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,260,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible