Freres Karamazov (Folio (Gallimard)) (French…

Freres Karamazov (Folio (Gallimard)) (French Edition) (original 1880; edition 1994)

by F Dostoievski (Author)

Driven by intense, uncontrollable emotions of rage and revenge, the four Karamazov brothers all become involved in the brutal murder of their despicable father.
Member:georgesphilgs
Title:Freres Karamazov (Folio (Gallimard)) (French Edition)
Authors:F Dostoievski (Author)
Info:Gallimard Education (1994), 989 pages
Collections:Sherbrooke, To read

The Brothers Karamazov (1/2) by Fedor Mikhaïlovitch Dostoïevski (1880)

English (4)  French (1)  All languages (5)
Brothers Karamazov was my favorite book for many, many years. I'd read it so many times, that I could open the book at random and just start reading and become completely immersed in it. Last year I realized I hadn't read it in about 15 years! I pulled out my penguin paperback and my Russian hardback and decided to read them side by side. Well, life happens, and so it took me a bit longer than I thought to finish the first few books. I'm reading it slowly, a chapter in English, then a reread in Russian and I'm enjoying even the parts that I used to find a bit slow (Father Zosima's biography). I love Ivan's arguments against God, and the many threads of conversations and plots and how they all converge in the second half of the novel. I have the David Magarshack translation which is perfectly fine, though Dostoevsky's prose is rather more prickly than any translation of it I have read. ( )
  Marse | Jan 4, 2016 |
It's a very slow start but worth persevering. ( )
  mumfie | Jan 19, 2014 |
Heavy, heavy, heavy! ( )
  dimajazz | Aug 14, 2009 |
Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel, The Karamazov Brothers (1880), is both a brilliantly told crime story and a passionate philosophical debate. The dissolute landowner Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov is murdered; his sons - the atheist intellectual Ivan, the hot-blooded Dmitry, and the saintly novice Alyosha - are all at some level involved. Bound up with this intense family drama is Dostoevsky's exploration of many deeply felt ideas about the existence of God, the question of human freedom, the collective nature of guilt, the disastrous consequences of rationalism. The novel is also richly comic: the Russian Orthodox Church, the legal system, and even the author's most cherished causes and beliefs are presented with a note of irreverence, so that orthodoxy and radicalism, sanity and madness, love and hatred, right and wrong are no longer mutually exclusive. Rebecca West considered it 'the allegory for the world's maturity', but with children to the fore. This new translation does full justice to Dostoevsky's genius, particularly in the use of the spoken word, which ranges over every mode of human expression.
1 vote antimuzak | Oct 30, 2005 |

Dostoïevski, Fedor Mikhaïlovitchprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geir KjetsaaTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamm, MartinEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mongault, HenriTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rydelius, EllenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alexey Fyodorovich Karamazov was the third son of Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov, a landowner of our district, who became notorious in his own day (and is still remembered among us) because of his tragic and mysterious death, which occurred exactly thirteen years ago and which I shall relate in its proper place.
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set or different volumes of the same set.

'The Brothers Karamazov', final novel by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky, in Malayalam. He had been preparing all his life for this literary effort. Malayalam translation is by Mini Menon. Throughout the story, Dostoevsky searhes for the truth--about man, about life, about the existence of God. A terrifying answer to man's eternal questions, this monumental work remains the crowning achievement of perhaps the finest novelist of all time.

Compelling, profound, complex, it is the story of a patricide and of the four sons who each had a motive for murder: Dmitry, the sensualist, Ivan, the intellectual; Alyosha, the mystic; and twisted, cunning Smerdyakov, the bastard child. Frequently lurid, nightmarish, always brilliant, the novel plunges the reader into a sordid love triangle, a pathological obsession, and a gripping courtroom drama.

Legacy Library: Fyodor Dostoevsky

Fyodor Dostoevsky has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's legacy profile.

See Fyodor Dostoevsky's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,629,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible