Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic

Sympathy

by Olivia Sudjic

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I listen to books while I travel for work. Sometimes flying and sometimes driving. I drive long hours by myself and love to listen to books rather than the radio. I had to listed to this one on the plane. It was so slow paced I thought I would fall asleep behind the wheel. I actually did enjoy it on the plane as I could just relax, close my eyes and listen. ( )
  charlottem | Jun 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An original debut novel that examines social media, obsession, & stalking while forcing the reader to examine their own attitudes about their own social media accounts. At times the novel feels overwritten & confusing due to jumps in the narrative. ( )
  PiperUp | May 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I listened to this book as an audio book. The story is complex and it was a little difficult to follow on audio sometimes. I really enjoyed the book. I had to re-listen occasionally to certain parts of the book because there is so much language in the passages that I would get lost. I recommend this book for people who love deep stories with lots of twists and turns and descriptive language! ( )
  oolalu | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not going to rate this book because I didn't finish it. I will just say that it wasn't at all what I expected and wasn't a good fit for me. Please don't let that discourage you from giving it a try if you're interested. I rarely ever start a book that I don't finish but when I do, there are always plenty of other people who really enjoy it.
  cwhisenant11 | May 19, 2017 |
Sympathy by Olivia Sudjic is a so-so overwritten novel focusing on obsession, stalking, and social media.
Alice Hare, 23, travels from England to NYC to stay with her ill grandmother. Even before she met her, Alice is obsessed with Mizuko Himura, a Japanese writer living in NYC who teaches creative writing at Columbia. Alice's fantasies and thoughts are fueled by her desire to meet and establish the relationship she knows she is supposed to have with Mizuko. Alice stalkes her and manages to meet her in person via a social media clue mentioning a coffee shop, and proceeds to tests boundaries with her relationship with Mizuko.

I could go on with the description, but honestly, I don't like the novel enough to spend more time on this. The narrative jumps around in time, without building a sense of continuity or some identifying theme that allows the readers knowledge to grow with each chapter. The novel is over-long and slow paced, but still feels so disjointed that it wasn't a pleasure as much as it was a chore to keep reading. Additionally I didn't care for any of the characters. If you are going to throw a long, muddled, over-written plot at me with all sorts of obsessive narcissistic social media obsessed characters, at least give me one person to care about. By the end of this novel I was just celebrating the fact that it was over. It is given the so-so rating simply for the final third of the novel.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2017/05/sympathy.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | May 7, 2017 |

One of Entertainment Weekly's "16 Debut Novels to Read in 2017"
One of the Observer's "New Faces of Fiction for 2017"
One of Elle UK’s “Six Top Debut Authors of 2017”​
One of i-D/Vice's "10 Brilliant Emerging Female Authors to Read in 2017"

An electrifying debut novel of obsessive love, family secrets, and the dangers of living our lives online

At twenty-three, Alice Hare leaves England for New York. She becomes fixated on Mizuko Himura, a Japanese writer living in New York, whose life story has strange parallels to her own and who she believes is her “Internet twin.” What seems to Mizuko like a chance encounter with Alice is anything but—after all, in the age of connectivity, nothing is coincidence. Their subsequent relationship is doomed from the outset, exposing a tangle of lies and sexual encounters as three families across the globe collide, and the most ancient of questions—where do we come from?—is answered just by searching online.

In its heady evocation of everything from Haruki Murakami to Patricia Highsmith to Edith Wharton, Sympathy is utterly original—a thrilling tale of obsession, doubling, blood ties, and our tormented efforts to connect in the digital age.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 03 Apr 2017 20:42:26 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Olivia Sudjic's book Sympathy is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible