Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

From Duke Till Dawn

by Eva Leigh

"Years ago, the Duke of Greyland gave his heart--and a princely sum of money--to a charming, destitute widow with unparalleled beauty. But after one passionate night, she slipped from his bed and vanished without a trace. And just when he's given up hope of ever seeing her again, Greyland finds her managing a gaming hell. He's desperate to have her... until he discovers everything about his long-lost lover was a lie. In truth, Cassandra Blake grew up on the streets, picking pockets to survive. Greyland was a mark--to be fleeced and forgotten--but her feelings for the duke became all too real. Once he learns of her deception, however, the heat in his eyes turns to ice. When her business partner absconds with the gaming hell proceeds--leaving unsavory investors out for blood--Cassandra must beg the man she betrayed for help. Greyland wants compensation, too, and he'll assist her under one condition: she doesn't leave his sight until her debts are paid. But it's not long before the real Cassandra--the smart, streetwise criminal--is stealing his heart all over again" -- provided by publisher.… (more)

Soft hero. Gutsy heroine. Steamy. YES. ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |

This story for me was just Ok: I do love me a good historical that gets the juices pumping.
Sadly for me, this wasn't juice pumping stuff sigh.
There was nothing I could actually put my finger on that made me so disconnected here I just was.
From Duke Till Dawn is essentially a second chance love affair featuring a duke and a con artist at its centre.
So the Duke of Grayland and Miss Cassandra Blake have a moment: at least on his part.
Stepping back into there lives neither quite forgot the other: both still carrying a lit torch.
but with lies and deceit standing in there path blocking the way to true happiness it really does seem hopeless.
So when a chance encounters at a later date brings these two together again Cassandras lies topple over like a pack of cards revealing the utter deception beneath.
Not exactly impressed at being her patsy the Duke is determined to enact his pound of flesh.
But when Cassandras business partner does a runner leaving her in the lurch there's only one man she can turn to for help.
So yeh this was very instalove and a trifle monotonous in places.
This story had its moments but I essentially found it hard initially to warm to either character.
The Duke seemed to have a bit of a superiority problem and also seemed trifle clueless and unforgiving of what Cassandra had done ultimately for survival.
Did find this a bit harsh myself.
Cassandra well I just wasn't feeling her and I'm not really sure why that was.
Look: if you like a sweet love story that is equal parts suspense and romance then this will more than likely appeal to you.
Myself I prefer something a tad grittier.
So this was well written despite my slight disconnect and I can definitely recommend this on that particular front.
Just a shame this ultimately wasn't my particular brand of Bovril.
I voluntary reviewed an Arc of From Duke Till Dawn (The London Underground, #1)
All opinions expressed here are entirely my own.

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |

Sadly for me, this wasn't juice pumping stuff sigh.
So yeh this was very instalove and a trifle monotonous in places.
Did find this a bit harsh myself.
Cassandra well I just wasn't feeling her and I'm not really sure why that was.
Myself I prefer something a tad grittier.
Just a shame this ultimately wasn't my particular brand of Bovril.
I voluntary reviewed an Arc of From Duke Till Dawn (The London Underground, #1)
All opinions expressed here are entirely my own.

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |
London, England

This is the first book I’ve read by Eva Leigh. Give me a book with a Duke or a Highlander and I’m all over it. It’s the first in a new series called The London Underground so that was a plus.

And... I’ve just found out all Dukes are not created equal. Alexander Lewis, Duke of Greyland is not your average Duke. He’s stuffy. He’s proud. He’s noble. He’s set on keeping up his “required” appearances then quietly going back to his “cavernous chambers at his Mayfair mansion,” But his buds are having none of that. They pretty much kidnap the poor Duke and take him to a gaming hell. Oh boy!! Enter Cassandra Blair. His “Lost Queen.” I was so happy for him. Then we find out the truth. My heart broke for poor Alex.

I was bound and determined NOT to like Cassandra. Epic fail. I loved her. She pulled herself up from the streets. Okay maybe not the honest way, but she did it nonetheless.

I loved this book. Their journey into the underground together was dangerous, witty, exciting and sexy. Oh so sexy. I’m already anticipating book 2.

I received a copy for review on Celtic Dragon Book Reviews. All opinions are my own. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |
Absolutely loved!

From Duke Till Dawn had a slow start, but once Alex and Cassandra finally revealed themselves to each other--and the reader--I just couldn't put the book down! Those two were just magic together, and the fact that neither one of them believed that they were lovable...and that they couldn't be together...ack, it just slayed me. I was fairly certain they had to work it out somehow (isn't being able to do whatever the heck you want supposed to be one of the perks of dukedom???) but geesh, Ms. Leigh took us right up to the very end wondering about their HEA.

Totally worth it, though. And if Alex's friends Langdon and Ellingsworth are going to have their own books too?

I. Am. So. There.

Rating: 4 1/2 stars / A

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  beckymmoe | May 31, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Zoë Archer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,746,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible