So I Married a Sorcerer (2017)

by Kerrelyn Sparks

Series: The Embraced (2)

"Mixed with paranormal romance and humor...Sparks clearly has a style [that] readers love."--USA Today's Happily Ever After blog From theNew York Timesbestselling author of the Love at Stake series comes a novel of the Embraced--an epic tale of two star-crossed lovers destined for doom--or desire... Growing up on the Isle of Moon, Brigitta knew that she was born with the magical powers of the Embraced--even if she did not know how to wield them. But she has finally learned the truth: Brigitta is the lost princess of the kingdom of Tourin. She was sent into hiding as an infant to escape the wrath of her half-brother, the king. And now he knows just where to find her. . . Rupert is a notorious pirate and sorcerer. He's spent most of his life plotting revenge on the evil king--and Rupert believes that Brigitta could be the key to finally destroying his enemy. But what begins as a kidnapping of the innocent beauty escalates into something deeper, and more passionate, than either captor or captive could have imagined. Rupert soon vows to protect Brigitta against the king--but will they survive long enough to find their happily-ever-after. . .or does fate havesomething else in store?… (more)

So I Married a Sorcerer is the second book in The Embrace series by Kerrelyn Sparks.

We are treated to a love story that takes place on the high seas and a bit on dry land. Theirs secrets, drama, past wrongs that need writing, action, and romance.

Rupert, my heart broke for him and everything he has been through. Brigitta, is scared of her fate and knows it’s coming for her. These two where perfect for each other.

The romance starts out as a pirate romance, but turns into our heroine battling for the man she loves, but also for what is right. It’s sweet and passionate. I enjoyed Rupert and Brigitta together and how well they complemented each other. We see how a past changes a person, but also how beautiful life can be when you find something worth keeping and fighting for. We are also treated to a little side romance better Stefan and Sister Fallyn. I loved this romance as well.

I will say I figured out who Rupert was at the very beginning, but it didn’t upset me that I knew.

Expect plenty of adventure, passion, and danger plus we get to go into dragon territory and get a sneak peak at who fate will match next.

Rated: 4 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by St. Martin’s Press via NetGalley with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
ARC received for review. This is the 2nd book in the embraced series. This one follows Brigitta and the infamous pirate Rupert. I loved this one as much as the 1st. This one has dashing heroes not found in usual places. Competitions and dragons, which always makes me happy. Can't wait for book three in this exciting and thrilling series. ( )
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
This book is just fun--there's no other way to put it. If you enjoy paranormal romance with a dash of humor, it's just a fun read.

Sparks' characters are fantastic, and this combines the wonder of the first book in the series with swashbuckling pirates, a cruel king right out of an adult fairy tale, and all of the magic and action and romance you could ask for in a paranormal romance. I do think that the magic system and characters might be unclear for anyone who didn't read the first book, so I'd absolutely recommend starting there even though I think this one is a different flavor and more entertaining in a lot of ways, but these books are just sort of lovely escapes, and I can't wait for the next one.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Apr 7, 2020 |
Rupert is a pirate, who can control the wind a lot secrets and a vendetta against Brigitta's brother the current king of Tourin. Her abilities help find things and uncover secrets so she quickly learns there's more to Rupert than she was told. So he kidnaps her as part of his revenge but quickly realizes she is nothing like her brother and he can't fight his attraction to her. A light reading romance, mostly predictable.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

So I Married a Sorcerer is book 2 in the Embraced series and gives us the story of Brigitta and Rupert, both Embraced and both having hidden away for fear of what would happen to them should their true identity be known. Brigitta can sense peoples secrets by simply touching them. Rupert controls the wind. Both come from a prestigious background but the feuding amongst their families drove them both into hiding. Now Rupert is the Pirate Rupert (at one point he even says 'As you wish'!) and Brigitta is leaving the Isle of the Moon to visit Luciana and Leofric (from book 1) when their paths cross again, and this time, Rupert is determined to get revenge.

Brigitta finds out about her past rather abruptly when it comes sailing up to them! Turns out she is a princess and her brother wants her back (most likely to sell her off in marriage because he is obviously not a good dude). Rupert kidnaps her first because he wants revenge on Brigitta's brother. Brigitta is brave and intelligent which I always love in heroines. But, she is vulnerable and a bit naive too, which I enjoyed.

Rupert is (much like Wesley) a pirate with a bit of honor. He only steals from those who deserve to have their gold taken. His plan to use Brigitta to get back at her family is pretty dastardly; he waffles between his memories of the horrific childhood he had because of Brigitta's family and the feelings he has towards Brigitta.

Once the mystery of their identities is exposed to each other, the plot had me experiencing real worry over fictional characters. I was legit scared for Brigitta and Rupert to go back to Turin and try to take on her brother. Let me say it again: I was frightened for FICTIONAL characters. If that isn't good writing, I don't know what is.

Sister Fallyn provides a bit of comic relief at times because she is SO over dramatic! The Embraced series has so many interconnected characters that the plot moves along quickly and you are sucked in right away! Sparks' words really flow beautifully and I am thrilled to have discovered this delightful series!

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: Ok, so I totally teared up when Granny was telling the story about her husband....

• Trope: supernatural, secret identities

• Triggers: none

• Series/Standalone: Could you read it as a stand alone? Sure, but book 1 is great and it helps you understand the world Sparks has created so my advice is read it in order!

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes

The Princess Bride by William Goldman, Dark Lover by JR Ward, My Commander by Alanea Alder...then you will probably like So I Married a Sorcerer!

So I Married a Sorcerer

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For any of my readers
who have ever felt they were a member of
The Losers Club.
In my book,
you are all winners!
Prologue: In another time on another world called Aerthlan, there are five kingdoms.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,334,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible