90 Days of Different by Eric Walters

90 Days of Different

by Eric Walters

On the last day of high school, Sophie's boyfriend breaks up with her. It turns out he thinks she is too predictable, too responsible, too mature...too boring. When Sophie turns to her best friend, Ella, for comfort and reassurance, Ella just confirms what her boyfriend has said. And that hurts even more. Then Ella comes up with a plan to help Sophie find her wilder side. In the ninety days between the end of high school and the start of university, she is going to arrange for Sophie to do amazing, new, different and sometimes scary things. The deal is Sophie has to agree to everything, no matter what. And she has to share her adventures through social media. Can ninety days of different create a different life? Can stepping outside your comfort zone help you find yourself?… (more)

I enjoyed reading this book, and liked the "different"s that Sophie did. I enjoyed most of them, but some I never would (not putting spoilers here). I felt that best friend Ella was helping Sophie come out of her shell and live again and not by routine. I would have liked it if it were longer, but it was a good summer.
  StarlieLC | Jan 26, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At page 93 I decided to stop reading this book... I wanted to give it a fair chance so I pushed myself to read to this point.

Maybe I would have liked it if I was closer to the age of the main character, so maybe teenagers should give this book a chance but I have issues with some of the main concept of this book. I originally liked the idea that a recent high school graduate had a fun summer where she was pushed to experience things she hadn't experienced in the past before starting college. I wanted a fun, lighthearted summer read, but I was pretty disappointed.

The main character, Sophie, is told that she is boring and predictable because she is mature and responsible. I don't think these are bad qualities for anyone, especially teenagers. They aren't something that should need changing. Why would we want to present the message to young people that being responsible is something negative? Isn't the message supposed to be that everyone should accept themselves for who they are (especially when their personality is not problematic or harmful). I liked the idea of trying new things that push someone beyond their comfort zone, but most of the "different" things (in the first 90 pages) that Sophie's best friend made her do were unreasonable (and unrealistic). Here are some (potential spoilery) examples: Ella gets herself and Sophie hired at a fast food restaurant for the purpose of getting fired the first day by being awful to the customers. Ella also tells Sophie, who doesn't drink, that she should drink alcohol or she is boring. I had to stop reading at this point. Drinking is a common element in young adult books, but there are teenagers and adults who do not drink alcohol - this does not make them boring, or mean they do not know how to have a good time.
Maybe the rest of the book will get better before the end, but I will not be finishing.

*I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  upinthestacks | Jul 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
(origionaly posted to Challa Fletcher blog)
It should be one of the best days of Sophie’s life: 18 years old, just graduated high school and only 90 days away from starting college! But that’s not quite the case. Luke, her boyfriend of over a year, just broke up with her in an empty high school classroom; telling her she was boring. Also, all Sophie is worried about is how her dad and brother will make it without her there to cook, clean, and keep them alive. Lucky for Sophie her long time best friend, Ella, has a solution that can turn the next 90 days into an unforgettable summer.

90 Days of Different is a coming-of-age story that dares us to get out of our comfort zone and stare fear in the face.

What Didn’t Work: 90 Days of Different is so fast paced you don't develop any concern for the characters and I started to dislike the main character and her best friend. The book doesn’t cover all 90 days of differences, but it does cover a lot of them. The story is moving so quickly you don't get a feel of why Sophie is afraid of some of the simplest things. Who hasn’t at least tried some oddly flavored ice cream? The reason for some of her behavior towards the end of the story does become revealed. The fast paced story doesn’t allow you to care about any of the characters; you don’t learn a lot about them. I began to dislike Sophie and Ella. Sophie is described as needing everyone to like her, but she can also be a bit conceited. Ella is obsessed with identifying Sophie as a princess and holding a grudge that everyone overlooks her to see Sophie. This goes so to the point that she chooses some differents just to make Sophie look bad. Their relationship, at least on Ella’s side, is almost bitter. Sophie also talks to her father very disrespectfully, which makes him seems weak. Finally, the story is high in dialogue so descriptions scenes are lost. Some of the dialogue stretch on too long; like the conversation about a cleaning service and ordering groceries online.

What Did Work: Eric Walter brings YA all the way into our millennium with including talk of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and blogging. It’s accurate that pictures of pretty girls doing crazy stuff will garner a lot of likes and attention and even mean comments. I was glad Walters didn’t make everything positive and upbeat about social networks. Sophie does have some trolls and inappropriate comments from guys and girls; making her feel bad. Who doesn’t have to deal with that online?
To add to that, you can actually follow Sophie online as @Sophie_Evans90 on Twitter and @SophieEvans90 on Instagram, and see some of these differences our character experiences. Very cool and interactive way to get to know the character.

In the end, this wasn’t a bad story, but it wasn’t excellent either. It's just a lot of fluff. It's a fun read, so I don’t feel like I wasted my time and it made me wonder what things I can try to do differently. It's a light-hearted tale, and a YA that isn’t all about getting the guy, which can be rare it seems. Fluff doesn’t mean bad.
For its real life application and use of social media in a creative and real world way, I give 90 Days of Different by Eric Walters 3/5!

Happy Reading and Try Something New ( )
  ByChallaF | Jun 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sophie graduates high school and is challenged by her best friend to do something different each day before heading off to college. Some of the differents are relatively simple, like choosing a new flavor of ice cream to try, while others are a bit more intense, like walking a runway in a fashion show. By doing her something different each day, Sophie learns about herself and grows in the process.

I wanted to like this book more than I did. I really like the concept of pushing yourself to do new things with the goal or growing and expanding your comfort zone. However, I was frustrated by the fact that so many of the things Sophie did require an extensive social base, and, let's be honest, couldn't actually be done by the average person living in the middle of nowhere. This lack of authenticity took me right out of the story and just made me mad. I did appreciate that Sophie actually went through an emotional journey and uncovered knowledge about herself as she was doing the differents. ( )
  KarenRendall | Jun 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sweet contemporary story with a few hiccups but a great message! Full review available at: http://rhanebowreads.wixsite.com/rhanebowreads ( )
  RhaneBowReads | Jun 11, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Eric Walters's book 90 Days of Different is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Eric Walters's book 90 Days of Different was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,340,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible