Living the Dream by Lauren Berry

Living the Dream

by Lauren Berry

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers.

First off, I don't see why a coffee cup was chosen to be on the cover. The main characters are constantly drinking alcohol not coffee.

I wasn’t blown away by this book. It definitely started a bit slow. It took a while for it to finally get interesting and for a plot to actually emerge. Once that happened I enjoyed it. I was also expecting this book to be a funny book but it wasn’t. On the plus side, I did enjoy the feminist parts of it.

Overall, it’s a good, but not super amazing, read. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Jun 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is about two 20-something-year-olds trying to make it in London. You remember how it is when you are fresh out of college, trying to land the perfect job, watching some of your friends achieving the dream and trying not to be envious of them, If you have been there, then you will laugh and commiserate right along with them. ( )
  lewislibrary | Jun 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What a delicious romp through London.

Living the Dream by Lauren Berry is an entertaining book and I look forward to more by this new author. What attracted me about this book was the description and the setting in London.

“Living the Dream is a cheeky, charming debut about twenty-something best friends in London navigating their careers and love lives past post-collegiate turmoil and into adulthood with lots of pints along the way.”

Sounded like a fun romp through London. Certainly I am much older than our main characters – Clementine Twist and Emma Derringer – but I read for entertainment and traveling vicariously via books so this was perfect. I can still relate to their frustrations in the workplace, looking for a job, enjoying a pub/bar get together with girlfriends and their youthful outlook on life in general. Clementine is just back from New York after getting her degree in film. She wants to be a scriptwriter and is apparently a good writer. She just needs that big break and a paycheck so she can move out of her mum and stepfather’s home.

Emma has a job and while she has no enthusiasm for the work, she is awaiting her break as a writer for magazines. The frustrations she goes through with her boss Adrian and interviews with pompous editors at magazines is spot on. You can feel her frustrations.

Lauren Berry is the founding editor of satirical feminist ‘zine KnockBack and has been writing for and about women since 2005. Her work has been featured in Easy Living, Guardian, Observer and Independent. She was born, raised and works in North London. Living the Dream is her first novel.

I won an advanced reader’s copy of this book from LibraryThing. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated. ( )
  SquirrelHead | Jun 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Something pleasant for summer. Chick lit about two young women trying to make it in the adult world. Good beach read for this summer. ( )
  etxgardener | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book! There was humor (bad date, I've been there) and also some frustrating parts that I wanted to the characters to just think and make the right choice! Overall I found this to be a fun, quick, and entertaining read. I love that it took place in London and described city life. I also think this book represents many in their late 20's just trying to do the best they can to figure life out! ( )
  clp412 | Jun 5, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lauren Berry's book Living the Dream is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,106,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible