Hit the Ground Running by Alison Hughes

Hit the Ground Running

by Alison Hughes

116820,536 (4)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When her father fails to come home after more than six weeks’ absence and a family services worker knocks at the door, Dee knows it’s time to act. Despite lacking a driver’s licence, she packs up the car, and then she and her brother Eddie are off on a manic road trip that involves charming the cops, avoiding creeps, making new friends, and stretching a dollar creatively. Can Dee get across the border to Canada to meet her relatives and Jake, the elusive voice on the phone? You’ll want to read this book to find out.

I really enjoyed HIT THE GROUND RUNNING. There’s a great deal going on in the background of this novel that will reward readers who reflect on and talk about the book with others. Sixteen-year-old Dee is a witty and sardonic, but also surprisingly tender, narrator. After spending several hours with her story, I felt I knew and liked her: Dee is a memorable character. The text is face paced, topical, and realistic, but avoids the miserablism that marks a lot of current YA. Instead, it’s often laugh-out-loud funny — and sometimes joyous, sometimes poignant.

HIT THE GROUND RUNNING is one of my favourite YA novels so far in 2017. I’ll definitely be looking for more from Alison Hughes. ( )
  laVermeer | Jun 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received Hit the Ground Running by Alison Hughes, through Librarything.com Early Review Giveaway for a honest review. I received an Arc copy of this book. I really enjoyed this book. I love all the characters in this book. I really enjoyed how Dee the main character was portrayed. She is a strong character who truly cares about her little brother. Dee and her brother, Eddie go on a road trip of their lives. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | Jun 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, one you read in one sitting because you can't put it down. However, I thought that the ending left too many things up in the air. For it to be a stand alone book I thought that it should have included Dee and Eddie settling in at the Auntie Pat's house in Canada, as well as the relationship between Dee and Jack, and what happened to their father. However, if there is going to be a sequel I feel as though too many things have been resolved for entire second novel to be written. As a whole I thought that it was wonderfully written. The relationship between Dee and Eddie was captured perfectly in being able to imagine what goes on in their heads, especially Eddie and how he can be easily mistaken as a slow kid to the outsider because he has no interest in the mundane school topics. Overall, a great book, but had a shaky ending. ( )
  KatrinaSakimoto | May 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It is a very quick read, but the author managed to make me feel an attachment to and concern for the characters right away. My only complaint would be that I felt the ending was too abrupt and there were several questions left unresolved. It is up to the reader to imagine how things will ultimately turn out for Dee and her little brother, but the ending is, nevertheless, hopeful, and I was grateful for that because I did care for these characters. The basic premise is that Dee Donnelly and her younger brother Eddie must drive from Santacino, Arizona to Canada to avoid the possibility of becoming wards of the state after their father disappeared on one of his antiques-buying runs. He's been gone for weeks and a social worker is now poking around, asking lots of questions. With only a little money, a small amount of food, a beat-up car, and their soon-to-expire Canadian passports, Dee and her brother set off on their journey. They hope to make it to their aunt and uncle's home in Canada, but there is no immediate help from their relatives because they are away on vacation and have no idea that Dee and Eddie are in this predicament. The only person who knows they are coming is Jake, a relative of Dee's uncle who is tending to the house and cat while her aunt and uncle are away. The story is well-written and the plot is engaging, I just wish there had been a bit more. I would still recommend this book with the warning that the reader may wish to use his or her imagination to fill in a few unresolved points. ( )
  Dgryan1 | May 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book! From the second I started reading, I couldn't put it down! I have a few questions, like, what happened to the father? Are Dee and Jake gonna fall in love? What is her life like after the ending of the book? I know Alison Hughes, if she wanted, could create an amazing sequel! I know because only a truly amazing author could make you feel an emotional attachment to an aloe vera plant! I hope you choose to write a sequel Alison Hughes! ( )
  BlitzCat9502 | May 18, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Alison Hughes's book Hit the Ground Running is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Alison Hughes's book Hit the Ground Running (Advance Reading Copy) is currently available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,106,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible