Black Creek White Lies: A gripping,…

Black Creek White Lies: A gripping, heart-stopping thriller

by Murray Bailey

731,138,814 (4.33)None

I wasn't sure if I would like this book when I first began reading it as I found Jade, the first character we meet, to be melodramatic with her her emotions in turmoil however I realised that can sum up most teenagers at some point or another! Her disappearance sets in motion a series of misconceptions, allegations and revelations for the central character, Dan.

After returning to his home town following acquittal of allegations relating to Jade, Dan tries to piece his life back together but soon realised that not only does mud stick but sometimes people will look for anything that might cake the mud on thick enough to make an allegation stick.

Dan also discovers secrets within his family and old feuds from previous generations return to haunt him.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and didn't see the twists and turns as they came thick and fast. The description of Dan's surroundings were vivid enough to make me feel like I was there with him without becoming bogged down in detail. It prompted me to think about whether innocent until proven guilty is still possible when rumours and snippets of information are laid bare within seconds due to technology and how tunnel vision can lead to any evidence that doesn't fit a theory being discarded.

I'm recommending this book to anyone who likes a good 'whodunnit' and fast paced storylines. I'll be keeping an eye on this author! ( )
  Jo_Williams | Jun 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jade Bridger is a young troubled girl and when she goes missing the key suspect is Dan who owns the local boatyard where she was last seen. He is arrested and charged with her murder but 18 months later he is released a free man on a technicality.

Through the story we follow Dan as he tries to find out the truth with the help of his ex girlfriend. The policeman leading the investigation is convinced it was Dan and takes no notice of anything Dan shows which doesn't agree with this. Right from the beginning we are on Dan's side and want him to find the truth.

This is a great read as we follow the leads some of which turn out to false. It's very cleverly paced to give the impression of not a lot happening while still telling a pacy story.

Add in his antagonism to his father, vandalism at the boatyard and poor business this makes for an intriguing read.

I can recommend it and would be interested in other titles by the author. ( )
  Northern_Light | May 31, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book free through the Early Reader Scheme.

Murray Bailey is not a writer I have read before, but three quarters of the way through, I bought another book by him (I Dare You) I enjoyed this book that much! Although when you describe the plot you realise that things happen slowly at the beginning, it doesn't feel like it when reading. I love Bailey's style and the descriptions are not overly worked. There are quite a few characters, but I had no problem keeping track of who's who. I wasn't disappointed by the ending either, and there are many books I have read that I have been. I downloaded this late on the Friday evening and by Sunday evening it was finished. I really cannot praise this book enough. ( )
  JaneDickerson | May 1, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Murray Bailey's book Black Creek White Lies is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Murray Bailey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible