Heart of Malice by Lisa Edmonds

Heart of Malice

by Lisa Edmonds

212,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added bycarod, EarlyReviewers

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Heart of Malice is an urban fantasy with some romance. Alice Worth is a private investigator who uses her magical powers to solve cases involving the supernatural. She is also trying to stay under the radar of the federal agency that regulates supernatural beings. And stay hidden from her grandfather’s evil organised crime syndicate. For years she was forced to use her magic for the cabal and finally escaped by faking her own death.

Alice is hired to investigate a case of a missing magical artefact. She enlists the help of a ghost as well as a very attractive werewolf. In addition to the werewolf, she has also attracted the interest of a powerful vampire. The case becomes more dangerous when it becomes clear that the missing artefact could kill thousands if it falls into the wrong hands.

Heart of Malice is a good introduction to a new urban fantasy series with noir elements.
Alice is a powerful mage trying to do good to make up for her troubled past. She is a tough character, and while the male romantic interests are suitably alpha, Alice can hold her own. The world building was well done. The different supernatural beings, the way the magic works and the relationship between supernaturals and humans was interesting and well developed. I liked that we were introduced to this world naturally while the story progressed without a lot of exposition. Alice’s backstory was slowly filled in as the reader got to know her character.

This book is well written and kept me interested (and reading past my bedtime). I found the title a bit confusing since I couldn’t see how it related to the story. I would recommend this book to fans of urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Some sexual content, but not gratuitous. ( )
  carod | May 22, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lisa Edmonds's book Heart of Malice is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,106,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible