Eaves of Destruction (A Fixer-Upper Mystery…

Eaves of Destruction (A Fixer-Upper Mystery Book 5) (edition 2017)

by Kate Carlisle (Author)

Member:JudithElaine
Title:Eaves of Destruction (A Fixer-Upper Mystery Book 5)
Authors:Kate Carlisle (Author)
Info:Berkley (2017), ebook, 208 pages
Collections:nook
Rating:***

Eaves of Destruction by Kate Carlisle

Between Kate Carlisle's Fixer-Upper mysteries and Juliet Blackwell's Haunted Home Renovation series, I have no problem finding a cozy to fulfill my craving for restoring old houses and catching killers. I had even more fun this time around while reading Eaves of Destruction because of two of the characters.

Petsy is the client from hell. When you see this woman coming down the street, you immediately duck down an alley and pray she doesn't see you. And then there's Scully, the sleazeball building inspector who never met a bribe he wouldn't accept. For the first part of the book, I had an embarrassment of riches when I tried to decide which one of these characters I wanted to have die first. (I'd forgotten to read the synopsis; this series is an auto-buy for me.) And that's all I'm going to say about victims because I don't want to ruin solving the mystery for any of you.

If it sounds like I had fun reading Eaves of Destruction, I did. I really enjoy the setting and the characters, and the mystery was fun to attempt to solve as well. As I said before, this series is an auto-buy for me... and now I'm back in the position of being forced to wait for the next one. Ah well! ( )
  cathyskye | Jun 12, 2018 |
Eaves Of Destruction
By
Kate Carlisle

What it's all about...

So...we have Shannon Hammer...owner of a local construction company...and someone who just happens to have a reputation for finding murdered people. In this book she just happens to be at a house where a really awful irritating dishonest building inspector is found dead in an orangery...a greenhouse. He has a well made chisel stuck in his tummy! Yikes! Fortunately Shannon is not a suspect but some of the people she is associated with could be! And...there are lots of potential suspects.

Why I wanted to read it...

This was my first venture into this series. I liked it but I didn’t connect with it as much as I have with other books within this genre. There was something missing for me. There was a lot of talking and cooking and lunching but not a lot of crime solving. It could be because I have not read any other books in this series. But...I am not certain I liked this enough to read more about these characters.

What made me truly enjoy this book...

I loved the descriptions of the homes that Shannon was working on. Petsy...a highly irritable home owner...provided some interesting moments.

Why you should read it, too...

I am sure that this book and this series has many followers. It was well written and enjoyable. But...for my personal tastes...it didn’t have enough “oomph.” I needed a little more excitement!

“I received an advance reader’s copy from the publisher and NetGalley. I was under no obligation to read or review this but I wanted to.” ( )
  PattyLouise | Dec 21, 2017 |
As one of Kate's Raters, I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

In this fifth installment of Carlisle's Fixer-Upper cozy mystery series, Shannon and her crew have their hands full. Lighthouse Cove is gearing up for the annual Victorian Home and Garden Tour. Homeowners, vying for the cash prize and prestige, are scrambling to outshine the competition. Some are more desperate than others.

Fortunately, for Shannon, a few new additions to her crew make for a more manageable workload. Amanda is a master carpenter, specializing in woodwork, and comes highly recommended. Although she is perfect for the Jorgensen project, Shannon is wary. Petsy Jorgensen is not only obsessed with winning the prize, but also a demanding client and an imperious, unpleasant person. There is a good chance that Amanda would get intimidated and walk off the job. Shannon didn't want to lose her. Not only was she highly skilled, she was likable and was a good fit. What Shannon didn't know was that Amanda had an agenda and her own reasons for being in town.

Despite of Petsy, work on the Jorgensen home progresses, thanks to Amanda's patience and tenacity and Shannon's support. The relatively pleasant natures of Matthew and Lindsey Jorgensen, Petsy's husband and daughter, also helped. All was well until history repeated itself and Shannon, yet again, came across a dead body. This time it was Joe Skully, corrupt building inspector. Due to the murder weapon and Joe's penchant for rubbing people the wrong way, there were many suspects. Then, before Skully's murderer is caught, another body is discovered.

Shannon is at her wit's end trying to finish up her projects in time, while trying to find connections and motives between both murders.

Along with introducing new characters, Carlisle brings back many familiar ones as well,such as thriller author"Mac" Sullivan, Shannon's boyfriend, and police chief, Eric Jensen(nicknamed "Thor" by Shannon due to his resemblance to the blonde, hunky superhero). As always, it is well-researched,the plot is compelling, and the writing style is readable. There is humor, intrigue, and mystery. It keeps you guessing!

Overall, another great one by Carlisle. ( )
  kulmona | Nov 25, 2017 |
The latest Fixer-Upper mystery was a swift read and very engrossing mystery as the story within took various twists. With the annual Victorian Home and Garden tour competition coming up in Lighthouse Cove, California, Shannon Hammer’s construction team is in high demand working on more than one project for the upcoming tour. And although the most unlikable character in the beginning of the book was not the body this time, the very annoying and unscrupulous building inspector Joe Scully was a good second choice. Shannon and Mac make a great team, both have varying points of view and attention to detail that make them somewhat helpful, rather than annoying to local police. I really like how the series keeps progressing with the ongoing success of Hammer Construction. Shannon's business is growing and she is able to hire more people, including a very skilled female carpenter in this story. Lighthouse Cove seems like a great little community, murder notwithstanding, and the rich descriptions of these Victorian houses makes me wish I could see them in person. ( )
  ethel55 | Nov 17, 2017 |
Eaves of Destruction by Kate Carlisle is the fifth book in A Fixer-Upper Mystery series. Shannon Hammer is busy running Hammer Construction in Lighthouse Cove, California. Many homeowners are hiring Hammer Construction to fix up their residences before the Lighthouse Cove Victorian Home and Garden Tour. Everyone wants to win Best in Show which comes with a large cash prize and this year they have a famous mystery author as the judge. Petsy Jorgensen is Shannon’s most difficult client and matters are not helped by the interference of Joe Scully, the building inspector (nepotism got him the job). Joe seems to have it out for Shannon, and he keeps popping up at her various job sites causing problems. Shannon arrives at the Jorgensen residence one morning and hears screaming coming from Joan Derry’s yard (across the street). Shannon takes off running and finds Joe Scully dead in the Derry orangery with a chisel sticking out of his stomach. Who disliked Joe enough to kill him? Shannon, with her natural curiosity, starts digging into Joe’s movements before his death. Soon, though, another death rocks the town. Shannon with help from mystery writer (and boyfriend), Mackintyre Sullivan set out to track down the killer before they strike again.

Eaves of Destruction is well-written, has engaging characters, and a good pace. I am a fan of Shannon Hammer. She is a strong, intelligent female character in a male dominated industry. Shannon has a warm heart, a sense of humor, and loving friends and family. I also like the secondary characters such as Jane Hennessey (Shannon’s best friend) and Mackintyre Sullivan (Shannon’s love interest). The new carpenter, Amanda Walsh was a great addition to the story. I find that each book in A Fixer-Upper Mystery series is better than the prior one. The mystery was complex in design with a couple of promising suspects. I appreciated the author’s use of misdirection and the reason why the murders occurred. I loved the descriptions of the beautiful Victorian homes (I love Queen Anne Victorian homes) in Lighthouse Cove. The dialogue is engaging and realistic. There is just the right amount of humor in the story along with romance (it blends in with the story beautifully). Eaves of Destruction can be read alone, but I do recommend the other books in the series (you can also watch the movies). ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Nov 7, 2017 |

At the annual Victorian Home and Garden Tour, Lighthouse Cove, California's premier contractor, Shannon Hammer, realizes that the competition is about to turn deadly ... Shannon is in high demand among rival homeowners, who will do anything to win Best in Show. One-upmanship and even espionage break out among neighbors, construction crews, decorators, and landscapers. Thanks to several new hires, Shannon is sure she can handle the extra load--until murder throws a wrench in the works. The small town's corrupt building inspector is found dead on one of Shannon's jobsites, and soon plenty of suspects are coming out of the woodwork. When another body is discovered, Shannon calls on her team of close friends and devilishly astute thriller writer Mac to help her nail down the details and build a case against the killer before the door shuts on someone else--for good.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,291,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible