The Autobiography of Satan: Authorized…

The Autobiography of Satan: Authorized Edition (2011)

by William A. Glasser

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received for April's batch of early review copies. My review will be on hiatus for a while. 1. I am having a hard time getting into it.(1st impression = pretentious) 2. I should never have requested an Ebook since I am failing at remembering I even have it 3. Life.
  wolfeyluvr | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to admit that this book is not what I expected. Instead of a traditional autobiography where the writer tells their story, instead we find the writer telling the story of the world/people around them. However, if you ascribe to the belief that humans created deities and religious figures perhaps this makes some sense. I am unsure whether I actually like the book, but it was at points thought provoking and intriguing. That being said, the interjections of Wag detract from the overall flow of the narrative. While not as interesting as C.S. Lewis’s Screwtape, Glasser’s Satan is nevertheless a good read. ( )
  darylritchot | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Autobiography of Satan: Authorized Edition by William A. Glasser is a book I won from LibraryThing. I enjoyed it tremendously. It really has nothing to do with Satan, it is a history of religions. It was informative, witty, full of humor, and facts. It is not a long book but it is packed with a lot of knowledge and bits of free thinking that is lost in most religions. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jun 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One expects an autobiography to be a tale in which a person recounts things that happened to them or that they did. But this is really just a bystander's view of the history and pre-history of the earth and the living things on it. It lacks bite. I somehow expected a James Morrow-like work, in which the devil changes, is shocked, or perhaps, is even placed in danger of some sort. But there really isn't any action in this book. There was one good passage, attributed to a physics professor who makes a few appearances in the book:

======
If we must give in to that deep-seated compulsion we possess—or, perhaps more accurately possesses us—to conceive of a benevolent god that we can gratefully worship, the last thing we should ever think of assigning to that deity is the creation of life on this world.
=======

It ends with an alien, and on a hopeful note, but why? ( )
1 vote themulhern | Jun 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book a bit disjointed with its interspersals of conversations betweent Satan and Wag (W.A.G. - William A. Glasser, the author's name but also the name of a famous psychiatrist.) But the main part of it was interesting and I enjoyed the journey through the history of Satan through the ages. Overall it was well-written and seemed to be an authentic take on events, insofar as to what Satan might actually say if he were to tell his view of history about himself. The humor is rather droll, written in a "historical fiction" kind of way, but it was a reasonbly enjoyable read in any case. I haven't finished reading it yet, but it's interesting enough that I intend to. ( )
  nonobadkitty | May 31, 2017 |
Do you want to be one of this world's damn fools, swallowing everything spoon-fed to you, or do you want to start thinking for yourself?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099842742X, Paperback)

This is the story of Satan's many struggles, across the history of Human existence, to unshackle the Human mind, and open the gates to forbidden knowledge.

From the moment of his first emergence as a single spark in the dimness of prehistory, to the more enlightening force into which he evolves across the full span of human existence, Satan, as he now clearly illustrates, has been urging human beings to open their eyes to the world around them, and to continue seeking, with unfettered minds, for ultimate answers, yet to be found. To do so he must struggle against the persistent attempts to stifle that urge by the "spoon feeders," as he calls them, individuals who have insisted, within every age, and often with a bloody fist, that they, and they alone, are the possessors of the only beliefs that every human being should accept and live by, without question. As Satan traces the history of their many attempts to stop human beings from thinking for themselves, he also takes his readers on a search for the ultimate source of all evil in this world. Readers will obviously enter the book with the standard concept of Satan as a supernatural figure of evil. They will leave the book, however, with a better understanding of how such mind-twisting concepts have been used to keep people away from the "forbidden" knowledge that lies beyond the borders of entrenched beliefs.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Apr 2017 10:59:14 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

William A. Glasser's book The Autobiography of Satan: Authorized Edition is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible