dismiss

Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to…

by Brené Brown

6851923,188 (3.97)22
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * A timely and important book that challenges everything we think we know about cultivating true belonging in our communities, organizations, and culture, from the #1 bestselling author of Rising Strong, Daring Greatly, and The Gifts of Imperfection Don't miss the hourlong Netflix special Brené Brown: The Call to Courage! HELLO SUNSHINE BOOK CLUB PICK  "True belonging doesn't require us to change who we are. It requires us to be who we are." Social scientist Brené Brown, PhD, LMSW, has sparked a global conversation about the experiences that bring meaning to our lives--experiences of courage, vulnerability, love, belonging, shame, and empathy. In Braving the Wilderness, Brown redefines what it means to truly belong in an age of increased polarization. With her trademark mix of research, storytelling, and honesty, Brown will again change the cultural conversation while mapping a clear path to true belonging. Brown argues that we're experiencing a spiritual crisis of disconnection, and introduces four practices of true belonging that challenge everything we believe about ourselves and each other. She writes, "True belonging requires us to believe in and belong to ourselves so fully that we can find sacredness both in being a part of something and in standing alone when necessary. But in a culture that's rife with perfectionism and pleasing, and with the erosion of civility, it's easy to stay quiet, hide in our ideological bunkers, or fit in rather than show up as our true selves and brave the wilderness of uncertainty and criticism. But true belonging is not something we negotiate or accomplish with others; it's a daily practice that demands integrity and authenticity. It's a personal commitment that we carry in our hearts." Brown offers us the clarity and courage we need to find our way back to ourselves and to each other. And that path cuts right through the wilderness. Brown writes, "The wilderness is an untamed, unpredictable place of solitude and searching. It is a place as dangerous as it is breathtaking, a place as sought after as it is feared. But it turns out to be the place of true belonging, and it's the bravest and most sacred place you will ever stand."… (more)

English (17)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
This book is Brene' Brown's life account of her personal journey from a desperately lonely teenager living an emotionally barren life to an incredibly strong but vulnerable wife, mother and researcher. She felt she didn't belong anywhere and was trying to find her self value in the opinions and expectations of her peers. Actually growing up in a typical loving Texan family, not a dysfunctional environment, her parents still divorced unexpectedly which shattered her already internal structures for self acceptance. As an adult, she decided to research and study the state of human belonging and why it is so important to us personally and society as a whole. She is now an accomplished PhD researcher, lecturer, author, Ted Talks speaker and business woman along with her role as wife and mother. She will encourage you to brave your own wildernesses fearlessly. (disclaimer; you may not agree with everything she says, but that will be part of your own wilderness journey of standing alone) Narrated by the author. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Mar 14, 2020 |
This is the type of book you hope will provide some solid insights and concrete strategies, or at least some things to ponder on. And there was some of that here, but really, not enough to recommend it. Or at least it wasn't for me... ( )
  RandyRasa | Feb 24, 2020 |
While reading this book there were a few passages I enjoyed and that I thought would stick with me, but by the next chapter I couldn't remember what they were and overall this book was pretty unremarkable. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
I struggled with rating this read. I was skeptical when I started reading it, but then Brown made some insightful statements ... but then, it didn't feel altogether cohesive or compelling?

I think that someone who isn't already going to therapy regularly might find a lot more jaw-dropping power here than I did. There is truth to what she says, and parts of the book I clapped or highlighted in my head - but I think because I've already been doing this work with my own therapist it fell a little flat, or "yes, and...? Give me more substance!" for me. ( )
  Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |
Honest, poignant, and thought-provoking.
Biggest takeaway: Life is all about connection and compassion. Yes. ( )
  PlanCultivateCreate | Oct 26, 2019 |

Brené Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Beusekom, Bonella vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father: Thank you for insisting that I always speak up and take a stand--even when you passionately disagree.
When I start writing, I inevitably feel myself swallowed by fear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,976,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible