12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by…

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos (edition 2018)

by Jordan B. Peterson (Author)

Series: 12 Rules for Life (1)

"What does everyone in the modern world need to know? Renowned psychologist Jordan B. Peterson's answer to this most difficult of questions uniquely combines the hard-won truths of ancient tradition with the stunning revelations of cutting-edge scientific research. Humorous, surprising and informative, Dr. Peterson tells us why skateboarding boys and girls must be left alone, what terrible fate awaits those who criticize too easily, and why you should always pet a cat when you meet one on the street. What does the nervous system of the lowly lobster have to tell us about standing up straight (with our shoulders back) and about success in life? Why did ancient Egyptians worship the capacity to pay careful attention as the highest of gods? What dreadful paths do people tread when they become resentful, arrogant and vengeful? Dr. Peterson journeys broadly, discussing discipline, freedom, adventure and responsibility, distilling the world's wisdom into 12 practical and profound rules for life. 12 Rules for Life shatters the modern commonplaces of science, faith and human nature, while transforming and ennobling the mind and spirit of its readers."--… (more)
Member:michaeljadamyk
Title:12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
Authors:Jordan B. Peterson (Author)
Info:Random House Canada (2018), 448 pages

Work Information

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson

English (68)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (74)
I found this book deep and meaningful. It has had a profound effect on my life, and will continue to do so. I recommend this book to anyone who is serious about living their life in the best way possible. JB ( )
  JoshuaFAB | Aug 11, 2022 |
There is a radical difference between Jordan Peterson as an orator (and a damn good one at that) and Jordan Peterson as a writer who infuses all of his life's lived experiences so far to produce 12 Rules for Life but in a mediocre tone.

I will be perfectly honest, Peterson makes very critical and highly relevant points. His 12 Rules are no laughing matter. Of course, the leftist woke brigade will necessarily redpill him as after all even they require attention to bring in the bucks to feed themselves and targeting dissent is better than targeting nothing at all. However, the book's total letdown is the good doctor's tone or monotone to be more accurate. It is placid, and far from exciting as his lectures. Is it unfair to compare the spoken word with the written? Maybe so, but then again-this is Dr. Jordan Peterson. We expect more from him.

Excellent life lessons, relayed in a less than exciting tone. ( )
  Amarj33t_5ingh | Jul 8, 2022 |
Utter codswallop.

Basically, the author's modus operandi seems to have been (more or less):

1. establish an idiosyncratic reading of a few biblical passages (roughly speaking: "Satan" is a code for "chaos"; "God" is a code for "order" and "evil" is a code for "chaos caused by humans").

2. cite some examples of a particular rule derived from his application of the code to some biblical event -- typically such examples come from his own life (although there's no independent evidence to establish that these are actual events described without bias -- nor that there weren't other events that refute the derived rule).

3. Generalise the rule to a universal truth in life -- or at least a rule that will help the reader live a happier and/or better -- or perhaps merely more ordered -- life.

I was pretty skeptical after reading the first rule, the thrust of which is to act so that people think highly of you -- because that will fill your system with seratonin, which will make you feel better and more confident, because of which you will accomplish more. Honestly, is one really expected to take this stuff seriously? Anyway, it all went downhill from there. I finally gave up partway through rule 8, and read a Wodehouse instead -- which I reckon did me far more good, as "laughter is the best medicine". ( )
  N7DR | Jun 27, 2022 |
Not a comfortable book to read, instead it proves thought of the introspective unsettling kind. I suspect I will be returning to this book in the future once I've had time to digest and reflect. ( )
  restimson | Jun 22, 2022 |
Bashkoju kujt ka gjetur tashmë frymëzim dhe udhërrëfim te mësimet e dr. Peterson-it. Zbulo në këtë libër me fuqi të pazakontë rregullat sa të thjeshta aq edhe të thella për të ftilluar vetveten, për të vënë shtëpinë në rregull dhe për të mbarësuar botën duke mbarësuar më së pari veten.
  BibliotekaFeniks | May 15, 2022 |
Jordan Peterson may be the only clinical psychologist who believes that psychology is subordinate to philosophy and the one thing that psychology and philosophy both genuflect before is story. Story, or myth, predates religion and is, in fact, as old as language itself.

In his earlier book, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief, Peterson connects the stories we share with our earliest ancestors with modern knowledge of behavior and the mind. It’s a textbook for his popular University of Toronto courses.

The one-time dish washer and mill worker spent nearly 20 years at the University before garnering international attention. In September 2016, Peterson released a couple of videos opposing an amendment to the Canadian Human Rights Act which he contended could send someone to jail for refusing to use a made-up gender identity pronoun. Peterson went on to testify before the Canadian Senate, and has emerged as a foremost critic of postmodernism on North American campuses.

Postmodernism is the “new skin of communism,” In Peterson’s view. The ideology has been so thoroughly discredited from an economic standpoint that those who still advocate for it, for either political or emotional reasons, have resorted to attacking the very process in which something can be discredited—reason and debate. At the same time they have worked to change the face of oppression away from those living in poverty toward individuals who don’t look or act like those who hold most of the positions of power and authority in Western society.

Peterson’s classroom is now the entire globe. Millions are watching his lectures and other videos on YouTube. For this new and greater audience, a more accessible, more affordable compendium than Maps of Meaning was called for.

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos is more affordable for sure, but only slightly more accessible. Part self-help book, part memoir, part Maps for the masses, it’s organized sprawlingly. Rule 2 (Treat yourself like someone you are responsible for helping), for example, opens with a discussion of biblical texts only addressing the lesson at hand at the very end.

Jordan B. Petersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Van Sciver, EthanIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doidge, NormanPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If you are like most people, you don’t often think about lobsters

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,089,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible