Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, 1) by Beverly…

Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, 1) (edition 2020)

by Beverly Cleary (Author)

Series: Ramona Quimby (1, 4-5)

Member:MoniqueP
Title:Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, 1)
Authors:Beverly Cleary (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2020), Edition: Reissue, 176 pages

Work Information

Beezus and Ramona / Ramona And Her Father / Ramona and Her Mother / Henry and Beezus by Beverly Cleary

A childhood favorite, it had been a long time since I’d last read this and I’m so pleased that I loved it as an adult, too.

Beezus is nine years old and sometimes finds it challenging to be a big sister to four year old mischief-maker Ramona.

Ramona is most definitely bratty and attention-seeking and she’d be a lot to live with, but as a reader I adore her, more often than not she’s funny and clever and it’s still refreshing to see a female character who doesn’t remotely care about behaving perfectly.

I really loved Beezus, too. I don’t think I had a proper appreciation for her back when I was a kid distracted as I was by Ramona’s antics. Beezus is every bit as well-crafted as Ramona just in a quieter way. Her frustration with her sister followed by a guilty conscience whenever she doesn’t tolerate Ramona as much as she thinks she should just feels so honest and it’s certainly relatable for anyone who’s loved someone who is a handful at times.

While Beezus playing Sacajawea at school would not fly these days (at least she took genuine pride in the role), otherwise this book has aged nicely, there’s a certain timelessness to it, even Aunt Beatrice still comes off as cool with her yellow convertible, you can totally see a girl of any era idolizing her.

I really liked how learning more about the mom and the aunt’s relationship is something of an epiphany for Beezus as far as her relationship with Ramona and it’s such a real moment, too, capturing that revelation you have as a child where it suddenly occurs to you that once upon a time the adults in your life were kids, too.

Those moments with Beezus grappling with her feelings about Ramona and the subsequent conversation with her mom and aunt bring a really nice bit of depth to the book while Ramona’s purposeful disasters provide plenty of fun. ( )
  SJGirl | May 10, 2021 |
Rereading in memory of Beverly Cleary, a childhood favorite author. She was the master of showing, not telling, and did it so well in plain-spoken language. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Apr 24, 2021 |
This book is about a young girl Ramona and the adventures she endures with her older sister beezus. This is a good book for sibling bonding. ( )
  virreyes7 | Apr 19, 2021 |
Beezus and Ramona showed the real level of competition for control and parents' attention between two sisters.

I loved the story, because it felt very authentic. Ramona's tantrum's were believable, because she protested often what she didn't under-stand. She was demanding of both her sister and mother, to the point of their exasperation and frustration with her.

I was glad that the author didn't take us to poignancy or sentiment. I loved the scene where the mother and aunt laugh together about their own tantrums and practical jokes. This is a terrific Middle grade fiction book, showing real life at its most uncomfortable and unfortunate.

-Breton w Kaiser Taylor ( )
  Breton07 | Feb 28, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,486,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible