Technos :The Dumarest Saga #7 by E.C. Tubb

Technos :The Dumarest Saga #7 (original 1972; edition 1977)

by E.C. Tubb

Series: Dumarest (7)

Member:CSSF
Title:Technos :The Dumarest Saga #7
Authors:E.C. Tubb
Info:Arrow (1977), Paperback

Technos by E. C. Tubb (1972)

For my money, the Dumarest Saga of E.C. Tubb ranks up there as one of the best science fiction series written in English.

Set in the far distant future, when mankind has spread across the galaxy, they feature the inimitable Earl Dumarest, a man with lightning fast reflexes who is forever trying to find the home world he fled as a child and has long since lost: Earth.

The galaxy he travels through is a hard, deadly place for a man with no affiliations and little money. Tubb pulls no punches in his depictions of the many harsh, hellish worlds and people whom Dumarest encounters, and invariably survives, if only just, during his quest.

Perhaps one of the best things about this series (which consists of some 32 books) is that each book is short, with no unnecessary padding; they're generally between 150 and 190 pages long. So they're a reasonably quick read, too.

I recommend reading all books in the series, preferably in the intended order. If you can, though, avoid the Arrow Books editions - the cover illustrations are, to put it simply, the pits. The artists clearly had never read the books, or if they did, didn't bother to note down a lot of details about the scenes they chose to portray in these illustrations, e.g. clothing, weaponry, etc. Shame on Arrow Books for using such second-class amateurs.

Did I mention? Unlike the seemingly interminable Wheel of Time series of Robert Jordan, or the never-ending Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson - both of which I find way too verbose, i.e. a lot of words pass by without very much happening - the Dumarest Saga has an actual ending - in volume 32, The Return, Dumarest finds his way home! ( )
  scampus | Jan 4, 2008 |
To
Trevor Terrence Brown
At Night the streets of Clovis were twisting threads of shadowed mystery faced by high walls and shuttered windows, looping and curling as they followed the dictates of some ancient plan.

"You are a most unusual spy. What do you hope to gain now that you have revealed yourself?"
"I am not a spy," said Dumarest. "Technos has nothing to fear from me. All I want is to get away from here,"
But no one would believe Earl Dumarest. So he was forced to become a fugitive on an unknown planet, using a stolen identity and endlessly fleeing, always keeping just one pace ahead of the military police.
Yet Dumarest could not flee forever. Technos was too regimented a planet for that. The time would come when he must turn and face his enemies.
and that time was near...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,735,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible