Becoming by Glenn Rolfe

Becoming (edition 2017)

by Glenn Rolfe (Author), Jason Lynch (Illustrator), Erin Sweet-Al Mehairi (Editor)

222,551,640 (4)None
Member:Scarlet-Aingeal
Title:Becoming
Authors:Glenn Rolfe (Author)
Other authors:Jason Lynch (Illustrator), Erin Sweet-Al Mehairi (Editor)
Info:Alien Agenda Publishing (2017), 370 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Read in 2017, Horror
Rating:***
Tags:Horror

Becoming by Glenn Rolfe

No tags.

Review copy

If you're a fan of B-Movie monster madness as I am, don't even bother reading the rest of the review. Just get the book and toss it on top of your TBR pile or list depending on whether you read physical books or digital versions.

Greg Hickey and his girlfriend are spending time down by the water when Greg finds something unusual in the water. Next thing you know, Greg is gone. You see, there is something lurking beneath the waters of Jade Lake in the otherwise quiet town of Avalon, Maine. Something that's been dormant for many years, but isn't anymore.

The action starts right away in Becoming...

The thing was human-like, but yet far from it, and let its mesmerizing glowing eyes come back from their deep depths. Its slick tentacles slithered around his head, pried between his lips, and shoved their way deep inside.

I loved Michele's fascination with Veronica Mars and how she would repeatedly ask herself, "What would Veronica do?" I also enjoyed how the craziest man in town, Russ James, may have a better idea about what's going on than the authorities.

Rolfe is sharp with a turn of phrase...

She was light, maybe a couple of crackers over a hundred pounds.

It all combines to produce an imaginative story with a wonderfully high body count. Can anyone from Avalon survive what lies beneath Jade lake?

Highly recommended.

There's also a Bonus Novella included with Becoming. It happens to be the first piece I ever read by Glenn and it's called Boom Town. I gave this story 4 of 5 stars.

The fact that Boom Town is dedicated to Art Bell and George Noory should tell you all you need to know about this fun little romp into the world of the unknown.

Reminiscent of the great old-time creature features, Boom Town is quite inventive and at times disgusting as such a story should be.

It's the perfect companion piece to Becoming, so when you finish the title story catch your breath and then check out Boom Town.

Get both tales now for the Kindle. If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited you can read it at no additional charge. Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member you can read it for FREE using the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

From the author's bio - Glenn Rolfe is an author, singer, songwriter and all around fun loving guy from the haunted woods of New England. He has studied Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University, and continues his education in the world of horror by devouring the novels of Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Hunter Shea, Brian Moreland and many others. He and his wife, Meghan, have three children, Ruby, Ramona, and Axl. He is grateful to be loved despite his weirdness. ( )
  FrankErrington | Apr 14, 2017 |
Becoming took me back to the horror books of my teens, to the creature features with cheesy covers that my love of horror was built on, and created a feeling of nostalgia that added to my enjoyment of the story.

Whilst I enjoyed the plot it was the characters that made this one. Although it's a pretty short read the characters were well fleshed out and the dynamics between the different characters made them feel real. There was an overall dark atmosphere but I would have liked the horror to have been turned up a touch. Don't get me wrong, there were enough scares and crazy goings on to appeal to most horror lovers, but personally, I would have liked more.

All in all, it was a quick and fun read and it easily held my attention throughout, however, I would have liked to have known more about the lake, what resides there, and the history behind it. ( )
  Scarlet-Aingeal | Apr 9, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,866,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible