The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders…

The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change

by Camille Fournier

Managing people is difficult wherever you work. But in the tech industry, where management is also a technical discipline, the learning curve can be brutal--especially when there are few tools, texts, and frameworks to help you. In this practical guide, author Camille Fournier (tech lead turned CTO) takes you through each stage in the journey from engineer to technical manager. From mentoring interns to working with senior staff, you'll get actionable advice for approaching various obstacles in your path. This book is ideal whether you're a new manager, a mentor, or a more experienced leader looking for fresh advice. Pick up this book and learn how to become a better manager and leader in your organization. Begin by exploring what you expect from a manager Understand what it takes to be a good mentor, and a good tech lead Learn how to manage individual members while remaining focused on the entire team Understand how to manage yourself and avoid common pitfalls that challenge many leaders Manage multiple teams and learn how to manage managers Learn how to build and bootstrap a unifying culture in teams… (more)

My path to software was not traditional. I always did well at mathematics in school, but I liked many things that weren't technical - journalism, religion, poetry, and medicine all pulled my strings at some time. I have ended up producing software used in medical research. As such, I figured that I needed to study the traditional career path in software/technology to try to meld my diverse skill-set with more traditional steps.

Camille Fournier has provided a book that describes that path. She moves step-by-step through a typical career in technology - from first job to senior management with all the steps and choices in-between. This "bird's eye view" lets someone see the path behind them, around them, and ahead of them. As such, it can be used as a framework to enhance one's skills relevant for the longer term.

The main situation that Camille does not address at length is the non-traditional one. Those who switched from people-doctor to computer-doctor are not addressed. As technology continues to become increasingly ubiquitous around us, careers in technology will probably be wedded with other interests. It would be interesting to hear her thoughts and experiences on this matter.
  scottjpearson | Jan 25, 2020 |
Some pretty good info. Wish I had had this decades ago when I was younger and could have used some tips in here without having to blindly find my way around (although that ended up working out too...). Recommended. ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 9, 2020 |
This is a wonderful book that I'm certain I'll be recommending to colleagues over and over in the coming years. If you're an engineer with no desire to be a full-time people manager, don't be put off by the title — this is a book about leadership, organizations and culture. There's clear, cogent advice here on everything from how to work well with your manager as an individual contributor, to effectively being a mentor to others, all the way up to strategies for working effectively at the VP and CTO level. ( )
  thegreatape | Jan 7, 2020 |
Handy book - not too heavy on details or suggestions, more of a 'light tips' approach that's very readable. Usefulness probably depends on where you are with your own experience, I suspect - personally, it was just right, and cemented some things I know and do, and offered different perspectives where I don't. Very glad I read it. ( )
  6loss | Nov 7, 2019 |
Really solid book on the progression of engineering to team management, to higher level management. If you are interested in becoming a manager or learning more about what is required in the position, it's a good guide. It doesn't go too deep in day to day tasks, but deep enough, through example stories and good questions you should know the answers too. ( )
  askedrelic | Aug 31, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,789,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible