Lethal Lies

by Rebecca Zanetti

Series: Blood Brothers-Zanetti (2)

With the serial killer that murdered her sister on the loose, Anya enlists the help of private investigator Heath, but Anya's media taunts put them both in the killer's crosshairs just as secrets from the past place a target on Heath's back.

Anya Best is beside herself. A serial killer murdered her sister, an FBI agent, and he is on he loose. Anya will do anything to help catch the man, even acting as bait. Not so to private investigator Heath Jones. As he knew the latest victim of the serial killer, when her sister, Anya, asks for help, he indeed steps in. Heath, along with his brothers, Ryker and Denver, has his own method for getting the guy. However, Anya unwittingly thwarts Heath's plans, as she taunts the killer, thus placing both herself and Heath in danger.

Heath's past is dangerous and things are coming to a head. Now exposed, Heath must contend with keeping not only himself and Anya safe, but must also protect his brothers. In the first book in this series, readers learned of Isobel Madison and Sheriff Elton Cobb. They were pivotal to the brothers' past, and are front and center when it comes to their present danger.

This book starts off with a bang! I found it to be thrilling as searching for the killer was paramount, but then so was staying one step ahead of Madison and Cobb. As in the previous story, there is passion, suspense and danger in spades. The Jones brothers are relentless, but are very good to the women in their lives. In this case, the relationship between Heath and Anya works, right from the outset.

Lethal Lies is the second on the Blood Brothers series. This book would be better served if Deadly Silence, the first in the series, has been read. The last book in the trilogy, which is another must-read, is Twisted Truths. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |

Heath and his blood brothers are still on the run and fighting their past. However, when he meets Anya, the danger of entanglements might be too hard for him to fight.
Anya decides that fighting back against the serial killer playing with her is better than watching others die around her. When she announces on live tv that her and Heath are engaged, she knows the danger she is putting herself in, but she never could have imagined the greatest danger was to her heart.

There was no mercy when monsters harmed women.

Book two in the Blood Brothers series reunites us with the Lost Boys. This time it is Heath who is the hero and with a mother who was killed by an abusive boyfriend, he has a big time trigger for men who hurt women. When he sees Anya with bruises, no matter of the innocent reasoning, and finds out that the Copper Killer serial killer is after her, he instantly goes into protector mode. This past hurt and resulting trigger for Heath, while emotional, was a bit overplayed and repetitive. The numerous times he saw red or freaked out made him seem less strong protector and more auto-pilot brainless alpha. The story didn't flush out his personality enough for me, he seemed like he only had two depths, alpha protector and hot for Anya. I did enjoy the scenes where Heath and the brothers interacted but I missed other personality nuances.

She studied him, her eyes darkening. Finally, one corner of her mouth quirked. "You're a beneath the surface kind of guy, aren't you?"

I kind of had the same problem with Anya, she had the hots for Heath (while kind of sorta but not being afraid of him) and wanted to be in charge of capturing the Copper Killer. At times she seemed brave and others she seemed needlessly talking big game while blindingly doing nothing. I also thought the emotion of losing her sister and fighting her attraction to Heath felt off, would she be fighting sexual thoughts the night of her sister's funeral? I think, ultimately, the uneven feelings I had with the lead characters came from the meandering feel from the story.

The beginning of the story gets going right away, with the back story and a continuing story thread I wouldn't recommend this as a standalone, but it also felt a bit choppy. It eventually smooths out as we are re-introduced to the handful of cast of characters that include Heath's brothers and the villains. Dr. Madison, who created the brothers (also the tie-in to the author's previous series Sin Brothers), Sheriff Cobb who works for Dr. Madison but also has a personal vendetta against the brothers, and Daniel, a soldier still working for Dr. Madison. The Dr. Madison and super soldier secret military program is intriguing, interesting and what I found captured my attention the most. As it is the continuing story thread, there is no resolution here but you can feel things building up in a crescendo.

Mostly, I found this book to be a slow moving, repetitive layover in the series. Heath and Anya have a bit of insta-love, the must protect Anya but Anya demanding to be in charge, bickering with FBI, and forced serial killer tie-in went in circles for too long. The next book is about the last Blood Brother, Denver. I'm hoping for more of the action, chemistry, and movement in the interesting super soldier program that appeared in the first.

"I like you, too," she said. Yeah, she'd just opened herself up. Perhaps she was crazy. His upper lip quirked. "You're dangerous lady."
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
I've not read the Sin Brothers series, nor Deadly Sins. But Lethal Lies has certainly intrigued me enough that I am going to go back and read those books. Anya and Heath are thrown together due to tragic circumstances. In spite of a strictly business attitude, the attraction between combined with adrenaline and heightened emotions stirs up feelings within them that just cannot be ignored. But Heath has secrets in his past that has him constantly on the run. Pulling Anya into that mess is out of the question. Before long his past and the present merge to create a lethal situation and having Anya by his side is the only way to keep him sane enough to keep her safe.

I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from NetGalley for voluntary review consideration. ( )
  AshPReads | Jan 15, 2019 |
Lethal Lies by Rebecca Zanetti

The adventure continues with these brothers that have better than average hearing, reflexes, and the need to protect their own.
The brothers are still on the run from the bad sheriff and evil doctor, but they take the time to protect and detect crimes, and, of course, one of them falls in love. Sigh. Such good men, with troubled pasts.

The Blood Brothers is a highly addictive series, both this current group and the connected Sin Brother series. I can't wait for the next one to be released!

Contemporary romance and sexy thriller. Don't miss it. It's a page turner. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Jun 11, 2017 |
I love this series so hard. This and the Sin Brothers are both in my list of top 10 favorite series. I can't really name one thing that I like the most about it. Is it the storyline? Or the incredible bond that these men share? The kick-ass women who get to tame them? The writing? I say it's all of these thing. I keep hoping that in each book they find another brother out there so that this series continues for while.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | May 29, 2017 |

To Michele and Brian on December 3, 2016. In
life, there are many Once Upon a Times. Here is to
your Happily Ever After! Best wishes and
congratulations!
Prologue: The car smelled like leather and something fake.
Chapter One: Pictures of dead girls lined the east wall of the small home office, their eyes somehow accusatory.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,500,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible