Information Services to Diverse Populations:…

Information Services to Diverse Populations: Developing Culturally Competent Library Professionals (Library and Information Science Text Series) (edition 2016)

by Nicole A. Cooke (Author)

This textbook introduces students to the contexts and situations that promote the development of empathy and build cultural competence, examines the research in the areas of diversity and social justice in librarianship, explains how social responsibility is a foundational value of librarianship, and identifies potential employment and networking opportunities related to diversity and social justice in librarianship. A book for students in graduate library and information science programs as well as LIS practitioners and researchers interested in knowing more about the topic of diversity in the profession, Information services to diverse populations: developing culturally competent library professionals addresses the political, social, economic, and technological divides among library patrons, covers transformative library services, and discusses outreach and services to diverse populations as well as how to evaluate such services, among many other topics.… (more)
Member:johnthelibrarian
Title:Information Services to Diverse Populations: Developing Culturally Competent Library Professionals (Library and Information Science Text Series)
Authors:Nicole A. Cooke (Author)
Info:Libraries Unlimited (2016), Edition: 1, 184 pages

Work Information

Information Services to Diverse Populations: Developing Culturally Competent Library Professionals by Nicole A. Cooke

This was my textbook for an online class I took for library school, Services for Diverse Populations. I was glad I decided to buy the kindle version. Being able to highlight really helped for class discussion posts (and for my memory, which does much better retaining the imaginary than the real), and now I’ll have those notes for review.
It’s a textbook, so it’s not exactly a page-turner, but it’s not as dry as some of the scholarly writing I’ve read for school. It’s readable, interesting, and it introduces concepts I didn’t know about before, or maybe just hadn’t seen them named and defined, like cultural humility, microaggressions (OK, I knew that one), and stereotype threat. It’s a good resource both for public and academic libraries, as well as LIS professors. It has a sample syllabus and sample assignments in the appendices, and I’ll just say I hope not all those assignments were packed into one semester when the author taught it. Yikes!
I would recommend this for professional collections in public and academic libraries and also for personal collections of librarians who didn’t take any courses specifically on this topic during library school. As the author points out, courses addressing diversity and inclusion tend to be electives rather than prerequisites, and it’s up to information professionals to seek out this training and scholarship so they can effectively serve their communities. ( )
  Harks | Dec 17, 2022 |
Good work with lots of additional resources. Had many topics that I'm aware of, but made me think and reflect on them in different ways. ( )
  Shofbrook | Nov 6, 2020 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,351,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible