Chase by Linwood Barclay

Chase (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Linwood Barclay (Author)

Member:WeeTurtle
Title:Chase
Authors:Linwood Barclay (Author)
Info:Puffin Canada (2018), 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:action, spies, science fiction, secret organizations, juvenile literature

Chase by Linwood Barclay (2017)

What a great book to have on the Forest of Reading selection list for this year.

Chipper escapes being terminated for being less than perfect. The institution wants him back so he doesn't reveal their secrets. The chase is on, Chipper needs to find his friend Jeff and the institution will do anything to stop it from happening. ( )
  Carolibrarian | Dec 10, 2018 |
Suspenseful story of Chipper, a dog who escapes from a top secret facility after being implanted with all sorts of military grade arms and intelligence software. Unfortunately Chipper has been deemed "too dog like" and is scheduled for termination but the software in his brain means that he can outwit his captors. Chipper then sets off to find a boy called Jeff. Jeff lives in a holiday camp with his Aunt after his parents have been killed in a plane crash. When Chipper catches up to Jeff there are men in black suits chasing him. It is only with the help of Jeff's friend Emily that they learn to communicate with Chipper via an app on their phone. Book ends on a cliff hanger.
Full of suspense, action and kids outwitting adults; this is one that will be very popular. ( )
  nicsreads | Oct 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chipper is a dog, but he’s much smarter than the average dog (to say the least!). As the book opens, he is in a cage and the “White Coats” are coming for him. He manages to outsmart the humans and get away: far away, where he is looking for Jeff. Jeff is 12-years old. His parents both recently died and he is living with his aunt, who is making him work hard at her business. But, the White Coats, who are coming after Chipper, won’t stop…

I really enjoyed this. It’s YA, so not nearly as complex as Barclay’s other novels, but I thought it was still a good thriller. As YA, it’s a quick read. The point of view alternated, mostly between Chipper and Jeff, but I think there was an occasional other POV thrown in every so often. Unfortunately, there wasn’t really an end to the book, as it left off on a cliffhanger. I will, of course, pick up the sequel. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 17, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This rating likely suffers from my not being the target audience for this book. I love dogs, and enjoy science and sci-fi and possibly because of that I found some of points of the plot and action to be predictable. At times I also found it somewhat difficult to maintain suspension of disbelief where I could help but question the logic of what was going on, or what people were doing. Still, it's an entertaining and exciting story for the right reader; someone interested in some action and cyborg dogs.

There is a bit of a transition point in the story that takes the place of an ending, as the book finishes on the cliff hanger and teasers for the second book ( )
  WeeTurtle | Aug 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A computer enhanced dog is on the run from a sinister organization called The Institute. A kids book full of YA tropes, probably more enjoyable for a child not aware of such things. I expected this to be a great book for dog lovers, and to an extent it is, but there are some sections kids who love dogs might not enjoy. Namely the opening where they try to put the dog down and later when he is hit by a car. All in all, a predictable story with no satisfactory conclusion in the first novel. Hope the second book is an improvement. ( )
  mattkickbox | Jul 13, 2018 |
For Neetha, who never stops believing

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Linwood Barclay's book Chase is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,226,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible