Aliens: Bug Hunt by Jonathan Maberry

Aliens: Bug Hunt

by Jonathan Maberry (Editor)

Other authors: Dan Abnett (Contributor), Rachel Caine (Contributor), Larry Correia (Contributor), Keith R. A. DeCandido (Contributor), David Farland (Contributor)14 more, Matt Forbeck (Contributor), Ray Garton (Contributor), Christopher Golden (Contributor), Heather Graham (Contributor), Brian Keene (Contributor), Paul Kupperberg (Contributor), Tim Lebbon (Contributor), Marina J. Lostetter (Contributor), Jonathan Maberry (Contributor), James A. Moore (Contributor), Yvonne Navarro (Contributor), Weston Ochse (Contributor), Mike Resnick (Contributor), Scott Sigler (Contributor)

When the colonial Marines set out after their deadliest prey, the Xenomorphs, it's what Corporal Hicks calls a bug hunt--kill or be killed. Here are fifteen all-new stories of such "close encounters". Set during the events of all four Alien films, sending the Marines to alien worlds, to derelict space settlements, and into the nests of the universe's most dangerous monsters, these adventures are guaranteed to send the blood racing.… (more)

This is an excellent collection of stories based on the Colonial Marines as seen in the movie, Aliens. In each tale we were are introduced to new characters and different units of the marines. We're taken to different planets and moons and met with xenomorphs other than the ones we're familiar with. It's funny and terrifyingly realistic that no matter how dangerous humans know something to be, there is always some corporate "genius" willing to take the risk of killing everyone if it'll make them a profit. And no matter how many scientist and marines die, or how many ships and facilities are destroyed, the corporations will keep trying to find a way to profit off the xenomorphs.

I loved that we basically witness the "birth" of Bishop, as he was discernibly different from his "brothers", though they were built to be identical. In one story we learned how he came to be with Apone and his mischievous band of jarheads. The main reason I bought this audibook was because of the promise of adventures with Hicks, Hudson and crew. I wish there had been more, but I did enjoy what there was.

The theory of the mutations of the offspring of the face-huggers varying based on the host was fascinating. Getting different and sometimes more terrifying versions of xenomorphs was jarring. But the most interesting was seeing the story from the xenomorphs' point of view. It just reminded you that they were only doing what they were built to do, they were just trying to survive just like any species. I ended up feeling bad for them, which I guess was the point.

The stories were all well written and interesting. "Interesting" is such an inadequate word. *sigh* They were...engrossing. My only wish was that there had been more adventures with Hick and co. The voice actors did an excellent job bringing the characters and the worlds to life. ( )
  Virago77 | Jun 10, 2019 |

Navarro, YvonneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ochse, WestonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Resnick, MikeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sigler, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Ridley Scott and James Cameron.
Thanks for taking us out into the big black
and scaring the bejeezus out of us.

And, as always, to Sara Jo.

Jonathan Maberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jonathan Maberry chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 22, 2010 to Apr 4, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,529,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible