The Secret Art of Being a Grown-Up: Tips,…

The Secret Art of Being a Grown-Up: Tips, Tricks, and Perks No One Thought…

by Bridget Watson Payne

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was so excited to receive this book in the mail! I am a "grown-up" I guess but there is always more to learn and I have a younger sister who will be graduating high school much sooner than I would like to admit. I had seen this book popping up and I wanted to read it to see what it was all about. It was WONDERFUL! I adored it and here is why...

The book is easy to read - the tips and tricks are presented as 2 page spreads with illustrations. The text is all different sizes and the images are all visually appealing.

The book has resourceful information and good information - the tips focus on money, what you need, how to live a full life, and how to love yourself.

It has some great advice - "You 100% deserve to be loved" is my favorite and great advice for all ages.

Even as an already 'grown-up' person, I really appreciated this book, it was clever and presented in a way that younger ... almost grown-ups will really be able to take about 10 minutes and read it all. It is quick, wonderfully presented and I think that graduates everywhere should be getting a copy. ( )
  sszkutak | Jun 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
That was a cute and silly little book with a couple of interesting tidbits scattered throughout as well.

If you're looking for an actual book that helps you deal with transition from Young Adult to Adult in the real world this isn't the book for you (I'd suggest Lifehacker website as a place to start at least).

But, if you're looking for a humorous look at adulthood then this'll be your cup of tea. It's very funny at times and also points out just how random some of our 'adult rules' really are.

As I said, it's a cute little book and definitely worth a quick read, whether you take it seriously or as a humor non-fiction title. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I'm a grown-up in theory, I often feel like I'm playing at it. Fortunately for me or for others who aren't certain how to navigate being an adult, "The Secret Art of Being a Grown-Up: Tips, Tricks, and Perks No One Thought to Tell You" by Bridget Watson Payne offers some sound advice. This slim book consists mostly of two-page spreads with a main point or theme, such as "90% amazing is still amazing" and "Learn the value of long-term thinking." These themes are accompanied by some pithy elaboration, and graphics help further illustrate the ideas.

As cathemarie's review notes, this book would be a perfect graduation gift. It's helpful without being preachy and pedantic. The end result is a fun, engaging, and practical text for new (and not-so-new) people getting ready to enter the adult world. ( )
  sweeks1980 | Jun 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A whimsical informative guide to The Secret Art Of Being A Grown-Up. It's a cute book filled with practical advice for example "Pay your bills on time" and "Trust the sandwich maker". Even if you're already a grown-up, you can learn something from this little book. Buy five or ten of these books and include them with the check at graduation time. ( )
  cathemarie | Jun 17, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Bridget Watson Payne's book The Secret Art of Being a Grown-Up is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,107,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible