Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of…

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha)

by Tomi Adeyemi

An intense and violent novel, that reflects the horrors of genocide and how ignorance bred from fear can devastate a nation.

Zelie lives in constant fear. As a child she watched as her mother was brutally beaten and killed during The Raid, a mass genocide orchestrated by the King. Now as a young adult, her family is still spat on and overtaxed by the monarchies guards, all because of her heritage. Zelie's mother was a Reaper, a maji able to communicate and work with the souls of the dead. During The Raid, the King eradicated all maji able to channel the power of the gods, and severed their connection to magic. But Zelie's hair is pure white, a sure sign that if magic ever returned, she too would be able to harness the power of the gods. Because of this, she and the diviners that are left are treated like objects. But the gods have other plans, and Zelie is about to be thrown into the last desperate struggle for magic.

Despite growing up as royalty, Princess Amari has never seen the diviners as less than human. Her oldest friend and chambermaid Binta, is one such diviner. But when the King comes into possession of a maji artifact, one that can awaken magic, Amari will witness her father's cruelty. Horrified at his actions, Amari will escape the palace with the artifact and come face to face with Zelie. Young and naïve, Amari will have to come to terms with her actions and become the Queen she never thought she could be.

Beaten down both verbally and physically, Prince Inan is being groomed for succession. Taught to hold the safety of Orisha over his own desires, the King has also instilled in Inan the need to keep a strangle hold on magic. When Amari runs off with an artifact that could bring back magic, he must track down his own sister. But will duty force him to slaughter his own kin? Conflicted, broken, Inan will struggle with his mission and the deadly secret he harbors. A secret he is only just learning himself.

Together, this cast of characters will either bring hope and magic back to the world, or destroy an entire culture and race.

This was a fast paced adventure, where the characters are forced to come to terms with their imperfections. I enjoyed the depth of character development and watching each of them struggle with their inner demons. Creating three complex characters is no easy feat, especially with the depth of world building Tomi Adeyemi had to do as well.

Poverty and oppression are brought to life throughout the novel. Your heart will ache as you watch the brutality and injustices inflicted on the diviners. And it is a harsh reflection of the actual world's police brutality against innocents. You will see a rich culture come near extinction, and cry out for its salvation.

The only reason I did not give this a five-star rating was the fact I would not allow my teenager to read this novel. It is filled with genocide, attempted rape and violence. Adults would connect better with the concepts, and be able to understand the politics governing the actions of the characters, yet it was marketed to young adults. ( )
  Letora | Feb 19, 2019 |
So intense, full of feeling and adventure (Gory, though!). Can't wait for the next book. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
It's taken me almost two days to review this as I finished it in the wee hours of barely February 14th.

People have been raving about this book so much, and the description hit on so many things I love, I was dying to read it. An audiobook copy finally became available from the library and I let is sit in my queue until I had only 5 days before it had to be returned. I said to hell with everything else eating up my time and attention and knew on 1.75 speed I could knock it out in no time.

Let me preface this by saying the book was great. The characters were interesting and diverse, the plot was interesting, the pacing was good. Over all the writing was very good. So why is there clearly a but coming?

But, it wasn't awesome. Perhaps the hype and buildup gave me certain expectations. I thought I would lose myself in this story. I did not. It did not pull me in or resonate with me at all. I wanted this to be the best thing I read all year, I'm afraid that will not be the case. I suppose it's my own fault. I wanted too much, to adore this book. I only liked it.

I agonized over this review because I didn't want my thoughts to bias anyone else. It was a good book, it just didn't hit me the way I wanted it too ( )
  Virago77 | Feb 15, 2019 |
This is another example of a book cover that grabbed me, pulling me in to read the cover and then totally hooking me to read the book. The cover is absolutely gorgeous! I am a huge fan of fantasy and YA, this is an enthralling fantasy debut, so richly written and gripping from the first page to the last, all 500 pages. I don't how long it's been since I've experienced such an emotional read, a read where I am actually traveling into the pages and experiencing the west African fantasy nation of Orisha. It was vibrant, ever changing and unique. The descriptives are so rich that you feel your surroundings, you smell the air, taste the ash, hear the sounds, your heart pounds and your goosebumps never end.
Now on to the characters, the main character Zelie I must say is so annoying at times, she is stubborn, immature and repeatedly making huge judgement errors with terrible consequences. She always is sorry and it will not happen again, but over and over again, she just doesn't learn. She reminds me of a child in need of a good old fashioned spanking. I found it hard to connect or like her. Then there's Amari, no problem liking her. Her character is so well developed, mature, likable and unforgettable. Zelie's brother Tzain , he is consistent, reliable and although his temper is at times exasperating, he is strong and believable. Then we come to Inan, Amari's brother and heir to the throne. What an idiot! He was so annoying with his whishy washy indecisiveness, I wish Adeyemi would have developed him into a stronger character, he deserved it, this is the character that I am most disappointed in. An up and coming character that I am sure will be prominent in book 2 is Rowan. I find him to be the Hans Solo of the book and look so forward to his presence in the next book, I hope that Adeyemi doesn't disappoint us and leave him out.
Children of Blood and Bone is so much more than YA fantasy, it's like walking through a door, into a world that you don't want to leave, you become vested in each character whether you like them or not. It is an action packed yet violent visit to Yaruba mythology. I wish magic would have been used more and explained better but over all a gripping debut novel. It's about time for a book to be successfully written with all black characters in a fantasy setting with visions of this turning into a movie hopefully one day. If it wasn't for the lack of character development lacking in Zelie and Inan, I would have given this a 5 star rating. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
A hateful king, unmerciful guards, a murdered mother, a frail father, peaceful communities and villages going up in flames of wrath, this is Zélie' s life until she meets Amari, the king's daughter with one of the relics that would bring magic, her people's only chance of survival back. But when Zélie sets out to reconquer the magic that was stolen from her people, she doesn't know that the king's guards are' nt the only thing in her way… ( )
  Cliana | Jan 27, 2019 |
If a “Black Lives Matter–inspired fantasy novel” sounds like an ungainly hybrid—a pitch gone wrong—think again... The creator of a mythical land called Orïsha, Adeyemi taps into a rich imaginative lineage as she weaves West African mythology into a bespoke world that resonates with our own.

I try not to think of her.
But when I do, I think of rice.
When mama was around, the hut always smelled of jollof rice.
I think about the way her dark skin glowed like the summer sun, the way her smile made Baba come alive. The way her white hair fuzzed and coiled, an untamed crown that breathed and thrived.
I hear the myths she would tell me at night. Tzain's laughter when they played agbon in the park.
Baba's cries as the soldiers wrapped a chain around her neck. Her screams as they dragged her into the dark.
The incantations that spewed from her mouth like lava. The magic of death that led her astray.
I think about the way her corpse hung from that tree.
I think about the king who took her away.
To Mom and Dad
who sacrificed everything to give me this chance
&
To Jackson
who believed in me and this story long before I did
Pick me.

Seventeen-year-old Zélie, her older brother Tzain, and rogue princess Amari fight to restore magic to the land and activate a new generation of magi, but they are ruthlessly pursued by the crown prince, who believes the return of magic will mean the end of the monarchy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,439,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible