Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Children of blood and bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Children of blood and bone (edition 2018)

by Tomi Adeyemi

Member:bell7
Title:Children of blood and bone
Authors:Tomi Adeyemi
Info:New York : Henry Holt, [2018]
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:teen, fantasy

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

So intense, full of feeling and adventure (Gory, though!). Can't wait for the next book. ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
It's taken me almost two days to review this as I finished it in the wee hours of barely February 14th.

People have been raving about this book so much, and the description hit on so many things I love, I was dying to read it. An audiobook copy finally became available from the library and I let is sit in my queue until I had only 5 days before it had to be returned. I said to hell with everything else eating up my time and attention and knew on 1.75 speed I could knock it out in no time.

Let me preface this by saying the book was great. The characters were interesting and diverse, the plot was interesting, the pacing was good. Over all the writing was very good. So why is there clearly a but coming?

But, it wasn't awesome. Perhaps the hype and buildup gave me certain expectations. I thought I would lose myself in this story. I did not. It did not pull me in or resonate with me at all. I wanted this to be the best thing I read all year, I'm afraid that will not be the case. I suppose it's my own fault. I wanted too much, to adore this book. I only liked it.

I agonized over this review because I didn't want my thoughts to bias anyone else. It was a good book, it just didn't hit me the way I wanted it too ( )
  Virago77 | Feb 15, 2019 |
This is another example of a book cover that grabbed me, pulling me in to read the cover and then totally hooking me to read the book. The cover is absolutely gorgeous! I am a huge fan of fantasy and YA, this is an enthralling fantasy debut, so richly written and gripping from the first page to the last, all 500 pages. I don't how long it's been since I've experienced such an emotional read, a read where I am actually traveling into the pages and experiencing the west African fantasy nation of Orisha. It was vibrant, ever changing and unique. The descriptives are so rich that you feel your surroundings, you smell the air, taste the ash, hear the sounds, your heart pounds and your goosebumps never end.
Now on to the characters, the main character Zelie I must say is so annoying at times, she is stubborn, immature and repeatedly making huge judgement errors with terrible consequences. She always is sorry and it will not happen again, but over and over again, she just doesn't learn. She reminds me of a child in need of a good old fashioned spanking. I found it hard to connect or like her. Then there's Amari, no problem liking her. Her character is so well developed, mature, likable and unforgettable. Zelie's brother Tzain , he is consistent, reliable and although his temper is at times exasperating, he is strong and believable. Then we come to Inan, Amari's brother and heir to the throne. What an idiot! He was so annoying with his whishy washy indecisiveness, I wish Adeyemi would have developed him into a stronger character, he deserved it, this is the character that I am most disappointed in. An up and coming character that I am sure will be prominent in book 2 is Rowan. I find him to be the Hans Solo of the book and look so forward to his presence in the next book, I hope that Adeyemi doesn't disappoint us and leave him out.
Children of Blood and Bone is so much more than YA fantasy, it's like walking through a door, into a world that you don't want to leave, you become vested in each character whether you like them or not. It is an action packed yet violent visit to Yaruba mythology. I wish magic would have been used more and explained better but over all a gripping debut novel. It's about time for a book to be successfully written with all black characters in a fantasy setting with visions of this turning into a movie hopefully one day. If it wasn't for the lack of character development lacking in Zelie and Inan, I would have given this a 5 star rating. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
A hateful king, unmerciful guards, a murdered mother, a frail father, peaceful communities and villages going up in flames of wrath, this is Zélie' s life until she meets Amari, the king's daughter with one of the relics that would bring magic, her people's only chance of survival back. But when Zélie sets out to reconquer the magic that was stolen from her people, she doesn't know that the king's guards are' nt the only thing in her way… ( )
  Cliana | Jan 27, 2019 |
“Your people, your guards—they’re nothing more than killers, rapists, and thieves. The only difference between them and criminals is the uniforms they wear.”

LISTEN.... This is an edited version of my review on Instagram when I wasn’t finished yet and it has more enthusiasm now than it did then. This book owes me NOTHING. Tomi Adeyemi has snatched my edges, given me miracle drops to grow them back, fixed my credit and given me eternal life with this one line. Tomi Adeyemi and this book are a gift I never knew I needed. I will be collecting all the editions I can of this book. She can have all my meager little coins. I was not ready for this well of life to end. I will be preordering the sequel so fast it’ll make my non-existent great great grandchildren’s head spin. If she ever comes to Atlanta for a signing I will be the first in line! You will know me when ya see me lol I HAVE QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS MISS ADEYEMI!!! THE EPILOGUE WAS SUCH A DISRESPECTFUL TEASE. MY HEART IS ACHING!!
BLESS THIS BOOK!!! ( )
  biblioteee | Jan 25, 2019 |
If a “Black Lives Matter–inspired fantasy novel” sounds like an ungainly hybrid—a pitch gone wrong—think again... The creator of a mythical land called Orïsha, Adeyemi taps into a rich imaginative lineage as she weaves West African mythology into a bespoke world that resonates with our own.

I try not to think of her.
But when I do, I think of rice.
When mama was around, the hut always smelled of jollof rice.
I think about the way her dark skin glowed like the summer sun, the way her smile made Baba come alive. The way her white hair fuzzed and coiled, an untamed crown that breathed and thrived.
I hear the myths she would tell me at night. Tzain's laughter when they played agbon in the park.
Baba's cries as the soldiers wrapped a chain around her neck. Her screams as they dragged her into the dark.
The incantations that spewed from her mouth like lava. The magic of death that led her astray.
I think about the way her corpse hung from that tree.
I think about the king who took her away.
To Mom and Dad
who sacrificed everything to give me this chance
&
To Jackson
who believed in me and this story long before I did
Pick me.

Seventeen-year-old Zélie, her older brother Tzain, and rogue princess Amari fight to restore magic to the land and activate a new generation of magi, but they are ruthlessly pursued by the crown prince, who believes the return of magic will mean the end of the monarchy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,466,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible