Recess Warriors: Hero Is a Four-Letter Word

by Marcus Emerson

Series: Recess Warriors (1)

291654,812 (3)None
When imaginations go wild in the schoolyard, anything can happen. Normal kids become world-saving heroes, girls become power-hungry pirates, and zombies take over the school after being infected by the dreaded epidemic--cooties! It's up to Scrap, his partner Yoshi (don't you dare call her a sidekick!), and Clinton, the baddest cowboy in the, um, badlands, to stop recess from collapsing into total apocalyptic chaos. -- amazon.com… (more)

This book was so dumb in the best way possible. It had a Codename: Kids Next Door meets Teamo Supremo meets Recess feel. The story's so surreal! The line between what's real and imaginative is seriously blurred and that makes things so entertaining!

STORY:
"I love the beginning of things...I just hate endings" (pg 123).
In Recess Warriors: Hero is a Four-Letter Word by Marcus Emerson (144 pages), recess is serious business because it's when Bryce a.k.a James Scrap (minus the James) does his vigilante business. He's accompanied by his much more qualified best friend— sidekick— Yoshi (Caitlyn Yoshimura), and the two have to navigate through a cooties epidemic that's affecting both boys and girls and a shady pirate gang.

This book evoked a sense of nostalgia in me, and I felt like I was a kid again in my bedroom eating goldfish crackers and downing a Capri Sun. Everyone probably won't have that same sentimental feeling, but I did find the storyline silly and interesting.

CHARACTERS:
Bryce/Scrap is indubitably dumb and funny.

I liked Yoshi a lot! Even though she was a great leader and a skilled fighter (she can do some serious biz with her jump rope), she didn't come off as a know-it-all or a brat. Sometimes, she's just as confused as we (read: readers) with the junk that goes on during recess.

Clinton was my favorite. Anti-heroes are always cool in any form.

Juliet should have been a grating character, really, but with how she was presented I was able to take her lovesick personality.

ART:
I like the wonky, blocky, and angular style. It has that Saturday morning cartoon feel. Sometimes, the faces look a bit sunken in during close-ups though. The backgrounds and color direction are vivid and fun.

OVERALL:
Some kid (or adult or teen or elder or alien or....) is really going to have fun reading this. I am excited for the next book in the series.

Read more of my book reviews here ( )
  DestDest | Oct 11, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,552,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible