les fantômes du palace by Martha Grimes

les fantômes du palace (original 1996; edition 2009)

by Martha Grimes (Author)

Member:EDHSLC
Title:les fantômes du palace
Authors:Martha Grimes (Author)
Info:Pocket (2009), Edition: POCKET
Collections:French Language, Your library
Rating:**

Hotel Paradise by Martha Grimes (1996)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (y2pk)
    y2pk: Pre-teen girl (Flavia de Luce) investigating adult crimes, while putting up with her sometimes-strange family and home life.
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (y2pk)
    The End of the Pier by Martha Grimes (EmScape)
    EmScape: Same "universe," some overlapping characters.

I originally liked Hotel Paradise. I liked the descriptive way it was written. I liked the 12 year old protagonist who had the insight of an older person. I liked the idea that Grimes started the book by our protagonist saying she thought she knew who killed Fern but then didn't mention Fern again for another 150 pages, so you got to wondering.

But that, too, was a problem because the book dragged. I stopped reading at page 217, not wanting to read another 130 pages to get to the end. The plot inched along instead of moving at a reasonable pace.

I'm a Martha Grimes/Richard Jury fan and the book flap of Hotel Paradise got my attention, but the book just couldn't hold it. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Oct 1, 2015 |
I'm waiting for the third book Martha Grimes has written about Emma Graham to be posted from America. Meanwhile I am re-reading this and Cold Flat Junction. I suspect these books are set in scenes the author is familiar with from childhood because the writing evokes the place and time so richly. This might be why I place them so high in my estimation - far above anything else I have read by the same author. I am totally captivated by the 'I' of the story and love the shifting sands of knowledge through the books and how the books both stand so complete without pinning anything down. My partner read them in the 'wrong' order and enjoyed them just as much - in fact he rated Cold Flat Junction highest and I put Hotel Paradise marginally on top. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Bored by her series mysteries? This is a different, very interesting mystery and coming of age novel set somewhere kind of rural and kind of scenic. A fun read. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Interesting book but slow over all. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |
Hotel Paradise was better than I expected though not as good as some of the critics quoted on the cover claim. The characters are engaging, the setting is rich and clear, and the pacing is well done. When she's not waiting tables at the hotel owned by her shut-in great aunt and run by her industrious mother, twelve-year-old Emma helps the sheriff write parking tickets, sips soda at the town diner, and generally pokes her nose in where it doesn't belong. Fascinated by a young girl who drowned mysteriously 40 years prior, Emma sifts through old newspapers, visits the girl's abandoned family home, and interviews just about everyone over 40 in her town and the next. Like young Flavia De Luce of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Emma doesn't relate to kids her own age, but keeps to herself and lives more in her own head than anywhere else. Although I'm a Flavia fan, Grimes writes Emma so believably it's easy to forget all about Flavia while reading. I wouldn't say Grimes writing is "poetry" as one critic suggests, but Emma is fully human - excited, confused, variable, in love with her mother's cooking, growing up in fits and starts, and sometimes questioning her own sanity - and I'm looking forward to finding out where she goes next. ( )
  SandiLee | Jul 10, 2011 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

To the memory of June D. Grimes and Lillian F. Davis and, of course, to Will, Mill, and Walter
It's a blowing day.
For there she stood, the Girl. Away across the lake. She stood there in that dawn-colored dress with her moon-colored hair as if she were simply looking out over the water in the same way I was. As if she were looking at me.
My mother's buckwheat cakes are beyond my power to describe. But I can see them in my mind's eye - brown-veined, crispy-edged, and just the right degree of sour. I am not Catholic or of any particular creed, but I cross myself whenever I think of those buckwheat cakes.
Cats could dissolve, I'd decided long ago, and re-form themselves on the other side of a wall.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345394259, Mass Market Paperback)

"ONLY THE MAGNIFICENT MARTHA GRIMES COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS BOOK. . . . BRILLIANTLY RENDERED AND SUPERBLY TEXTURED."
--Andrew Vachss

A neglected lake, covered with water lilies. A once fashionable, now faded resort. A derelict house full of secrets, uninhabited for almost half a century. The death of a twelve-year-old girl forty years in the past. And another girl who becomes obsessed with this death. With her knack for encouraging adults to reminisce, she begins to piece together puzzles from the past and present.

HOTEL PARADISE is a delicate yet disturbing view of the decisions a young girl must make on her way to becoming an adult . . . and the choices she must make between right and wrong, love and truth, life and death. With its narrative grace, compelling characters, and intricate suspense, HOTEL PARADISE is Martha Grimes at the top of her form.

"Utterly engaging."
--The Washington Post Book World

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

A 12-year-old girl, waiting at tables in her mother's hotel, becomes interested in the death, 40 years earlier, of a girl her age. The victim drowned in a nearby lake. So little Emma Graham starts analyzing available evidence, questions old ladies and woodsmen, and through perseverance solves a mystery. By the author of The End of the Pier.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,748,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible