The Woman in the Window (2018)

by A. J. Finn

"It isn't paranoia if it's really happening... Anna Fox lives alone -- a recluse in her New York City home, drinking too much wine, watching old movies... and spying on her neighbors. Then the Russells move next door: a father, a mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna sees something she shouldn't, her world begins to crumble -- and its shocking secrets are laid bare. What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this gripping Hitchcockian thriller, no one and nothing are what they seem."--… (more)

English (282)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (288)
Good thriller but don’t think it was a Tulsa bookclub book, could’ve been a book borrowed from CJ in Pilar New Mexico. And not 100% I read it in 2018.... ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
Really good and suspenseful without being overly graphic or grisly. Similar to the Woman on the Train in that they both had alcohol issues, but I preferred this main character over the other because she wasn’t whiney. She knew she liked her wine and the way it made her feel and she didn’t feel the need to make constant justifications for it like in the other book. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
The Woman in the Window is a book that I'm on the fence about. The writing is good, the storyline is, for the most part, both interesting and engaging. However, the book lacks surprises and suspense. And, the twists to the story is easy to foresee.

Yet, I found myself quite liking the book. It could be that the book reminded me of Rear Window with James Stewart, or the main characters love for old movies that charmed me since I adore old classic Hollywood movies.

The biggest problem, however, is the use of a main character that is unstable, thanks to mental issues because of a past trauma (that was easy to figure out) and the combination of drugs and alcohol. I've come across too many unstable characters on books lately that I've started to avoid psychological thrillers with even the mentioning of characters with mental issues or in any.

The writing is good, the story, however, lacks the necessary twist to truly engage and the ending was too obvious. Although part of me enjoyed the last confrontation. I can actually see how this book would make a great movie. I just wish the story had been more surprising.

I want to thank William Morrow for providing me with a free copy for an honest review through Edelweiss! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
The Woman in the Window by A.J Finn

Anna Fox is living alone in seclusion unable to leave her house. She sips wine and watches the neighbors through her window. A new family (the Russell's) moves in across the park, which captures her attention.

Then one day she witnesses a crime and tries to sort out what happened. Questing her sanity, not knowing what is real (what) is imagined and who is in danger. She is determine to uncover the truth, at any cost.

A fast paced compelling psychological thriller with twists, turns and secrets revealed. With plenty of shocking surprises I was hooked from the first page until the end. Overall I found The Woman in the Window very enjoyable. I highly recommend to those who enjoy thrilling (psychological) reads. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Jul 11, 2022 |
Nothing happens until 35%. Then nothing again. Then some revelations and last 5% a huge unthinkable twist. Too long... ( )
  gustavoberman | Jun 29, 2022 |
A.J. Finn turns out to be the nom de plume for Daniel Mallory, an executive editor at Morrow, the book's publisher, with a special interest in mysteries and film noir. The Woman in the Window is his tribute to both genres and, let me say outright, he does them credit.... What this is is an intelligent, carefully constructed novel of psychological suspense that focuses on a single character whose moods, secrets and fears drive the plot. It's here, in that slow buildup, that Finn/Mallory shows his real talent. He's much more in tune with the intense characters of Minette Walters or Frances Fyfield.... Aside from a visit from a neighbourhood child whose family she's been watching, nothing much happens for more than 100 pages. I confess, I put the book down and might not have gone back but for this review. Other readers may do the same. Please slog on, there is a reason here.

Finn, A. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kankaanpää, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leon-Berman, BoniDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindell, KlaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor George
Haar man is bijna thuis.
Her husband's almost home.
Ik heb het gevoel dat ergens in jou
iets is waar niemand vanaf weet

Shadow of a Doubt(1943)
"You need me to take care of anything before I go?" It sounds like a proposition, like a line from a noir. You just put your lips together and blow.
At any hour, at all hours, there are at least a few dozen users checked in, a constellation sprawled across the world.
Inside the locket is a tiny photograph, glossy and vivid: a small boy, age four or so, yellow hair in riot, teeth like a picket fence after a hurricane.
As I surface, the dream drains away like water. The memory, really. I try to scoop it up in my palms, but it's gone.

It isn’t paranoia if it’s really happening . . .

Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

Twisty and powerful, ingenious and moving, The Woman in the Window is a smart, sophisticated novel of psychological suspense that recalls the best of Hitchcock.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,663,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible