The Woman in the Window - Was hat sie…

The Woman in the Window - Was hat sie wirklich gesehen?: Der… (original 2018; edition 2018)

by A. J. Finn (Author), Christoph Göhler (Übersetzer)

Member:Shine101
Title:The Woman in the Window - Was hat sie wirklich gesehen?: Der Spannungsbestseller des Jahres!
Authors:A. J. Finn (Author)
Other authors:Christoph Göhler (Übersetzer)
Info:Blanvalet Verlag (2018), 544 Seiten
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2018, Thriller, Mord, Agoraphobie

The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn (2018)

English (130)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (133)
Love this read!!! Keeps you questioning what’s real the entire novel. You’ll never see the ending coming!
  paytonashley97 | Dec 6, 2018 |
Meh. Verbose and fairly predictable. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Dec 4, 2018 |
“It isn’t paranoia if it’s really happening.”

Holyyyy crap, this book! I did not remotely see the ending coming, first of all. That is always a plus with these types of books. Twists and turns around every corner, and gave new meaning to “unreliable narrator.” I loved it. ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |
This was a great novel to listen to in the car on a recent car trip. I loved the references to the old movies--I hadn't seen them all, but it brought back memories of the ones I had seen. As I was listening I didn't know if the novel was more Gaslight or an Agatha Christie novel. It's worth your time if you like these old-fashioned psychological thrillers. ( )
  acargile | Nov 25, 2018 |
So once again I am sucked into reading the current hot book and finding it somewhat lacking. This one actually starts out very strong, and I was immediately sucked in. Anna Fox is an agoraphobe, unable to leave her (luxurious) Harlem house as a result of trauma yet to be revealed. So she spends her time spying on the neighbors, a la Rear Window. Of course, she sees a murder, or thinks she does--but later is told that the woman she thought was killed does not exist. Anna also watches a lot of old movies, and as she specifically references Vertigo, Gaslight, and Rosemary's Baby several times, the reader comes to expect that she herself is the victim of some clever mind manipulation. Unfortunately, when you bring such great stories into your own, yours had better measure up, and this one doesn't. Many readers will guess the twists ahead of time--I did, but was hoping the author wouldn't go for the obvious up until the final reveal--and the last part of the book reads like a screenplay for a B movie. I am always getting suckered into these types of books and always getting disappointed. I guess the lesson here is not to mention Hitchcock if you can't bring the goods like he did. ( )
  sturlington | Nov 10, 2018 |
A.J. Finn turns out to be the nom de plume for Daniel Mallory, an executive editor at Morrow, the book's publisher, with a special interest in mysteries and film noir. The Woman in the Window is his tribute to both genres and, let me say outright, he does them credit.... What this is is an intelligent, carefully constructed novel of psychological suspense that focuses on a single character whose moods, secrets and fears drive the plot. It's here, in that slow buildup, that Finn/Mallory shows his real talent. He's much more in tune with the intense characters of Minette Walters or Frances Fyfield.... Aside from a visit from a neighbourhood child whose family she's been watching, nothing much happens for more than 100 pages. I confess, I put the book down and might not have gone back but for this review. Other readers may do the same. Please slog on, there is a reason here.

A. J. Finnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lindell, KlaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor George
Haar man is bijna thuis.
Ik heb het gevoel dat ergens in jou
iets is waar niemand vanaf weet

Shadow of a Doubt(1943)
"You need me to take care of anything before I go?" It sounds like a proposition, like a line from a noir. You just put your lips together and blow.
At any hour, at all hours, there are at least a few dozen users checked in, a constellation sprawled across the world.
Inside the locket is a tiny photograph, glossy and vivid: a small boy, age four or so, yellow hair in riot, teeth like a picket fence after a hurricane.
As I surface, the dream drains away like water. The memory, really. I try to scoop it up in my palms, but it's gone.

"The Woman in the Window is the most riveting thriller I’ve read since Gone Girl. A. J. Finn is a bold new talent with the touch of a master."— New York Times Bestselling Author Tess Gerritsen

"The Woman in the Window is a tour de force. A twisting, twisted odyssey inside one woman’s mind, her illusions, delusions, reality. It left my own mind reeling and my heart pounding. An absolutely gripping thriller."—#1 New York Times Bestselling Author Louise Penny

For readers of Gillian Flynn and Tana French comes one of the decade’s most anticipated debuts, to be published in thirty-five languages around the world and already in development as a major film from Fox: a twisty, powerful Hithcockian thriller about an agoraphobic woman who believes she witnessed a crime in a neighboring house.

It isn’t paranoia if it’s really happening . . .

Anna Fox lives alone?a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble?and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

Twisty and powerful, ingenious, and moving, The Woman in the Window is a smart, sophisticated novel of psychological suspense that recalls the best of Hitchcock.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 24 Apr 2017 20:13:39 -0400)

"It isn't paranoia if it's really happening ... Anna Fox lives alone -- a recluse in her New York City home, drinking too much wine, watching old movies ... and spying on her neighbors. Then the Russells move next door: a father, a mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna sees something she shouldn't, her world begins to crumble -- and its shocking secrets are laid bare. What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this gripping Hitchcockian thriller, no one and nothing are what they seem."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,686,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible