The Woman in the Window: A Novel by A. J.…

The Woman in the Window: A Novel (original 2018; edition 2018)

by A. J. Finn (Author)

"It isn't paranoia if it's really happening... Anna Fox lives alone -- a recluse in her New York City home, drinking too much wine, watching old movies... and spying on her neighbors. Then the Russells move next door: a father, a mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna sees something she shouldn't, her world begins to crumble -- and its shocking secrets are laid bare. What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this gripping Hitchcockian thriller, no one and nothing are what they seem."--… (more)
Member:THerb7919
Title:The Woman in the Window: A Novel
Authors:A. J. Finn (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2018), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages

The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn (2018)

English (258)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (264)
Psychologist Anna Fox lives alone in New York, but hasn't been outside her home for ten months. She has become agoraphobic. Separated from her husband and daughter, Anna occupies her time by drinking too much, watching old movies, helping people on the Agora website, and playing chess online. Another way she spends her time is watching the houses and the people in them who live across the street. One night, she witnesses what she thinks is a murder, but when she tries to report it to the police, there is no body and nobody will admit that the woman ever existed.

The Woman in the Window is very reminiscent of the thriller, [b:Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window|80143|Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window|John Belton|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1348209635l/80143._SX50_.jpg|77390]. Anna is not a very likable character because of all the poor choices that she makes. There are some twists in the story, but most are very predictable, and the first half of the book is very slow. Overall, The Woman in the Window is a disappointment. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
This book! I read all 427 pages of it in one sitting! It is full of twists and turns. Highly recommend for lovers of psychological thrillers. ( )
  samantha.brown | Aug 21, 2021 |
insane read. I didn't predict the ending at all, and the writing allowed me to really imagine the book. It was one of my favorites thus far and really shocking. About a lady who kills her family on accident and turns agoraphobic and becomes an alcoholic. She enjoys watching her neighborhood through her window. A new family moves in and she witnesses a murder...or so she believes she did. It really made me interested in how I perceive people and so trusting towards others when in reality the world is full of strangers and you shouldn't be so open towards them. Love this book. ( )
  eshasach | Aug 18, 2021 |
I dislike books in which the supposedly intelligent, well educated protagonist does virtually everything a dumb person would do. This is one of those books. I quit after listening to 4 disks. ( )
  wdwilson3 | Aug 17, 2021 |
Overrated. Uninteresting language. First 200 pages creep by. Overall well done, but doesn't warrant all the raves. ( )
  wordloversf | Aug 14, 2021 |
A.J. Finn turns out to be the nom de plume for Daniel Mallory, an executive editor at Morrow, the book's publisher, with a special interest in mysteries and film noir. The Woman in the Window is his tribute to both genres and, let me say outright, he does them credit.... What this is is an intelligent, carefully constructed novel of psychological suspense that focuses on a single character whose moods, secrets and fears drive the plot. It's here, in that slow buildup, that Finn/Mallory shows his real talent. He's much more in tune with the intense characters of Minette Walters or Frances Fyfield.... Aside from a visit from a neighbourhood child whose family she's been watching, nothing much happens for more than 100 pages. I confess, I put the book down and might not have gone back but for this review. Other readers may do the same. Please slog on, there is a reason here.

Finn, A. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kankaanpää, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leon-Berman, BoniDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindell, KlaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor George
Haar man is bijna thuis.
Ik heb het gevoel dat ergens in jou
iets is waar niemand vanaf weet

Shadow of a Doubt(1943)
"You need me to take care of anything before I go?" It sounds like a proposition, like a line from a noir. You just put your lips together and blow.
At any hour, at all hours, there are at least a few dozen users checked in, a constellation sprawled across the world.
Inside the locket is a tiny photograph, glossy and vivid: a small boy, age four or so, yellow hair in riot, teeth like a picket fence after a hurricane.
As I surface, the dream drains away like water. The memory, really. I try to scoop it up in my palms, but it's gone.

It isn’t paranoia if it’s really happening . . .

Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

Twisty and powerful, ingenious and moving, The Woman in the Window is a smart, sophisticated novel of psychological suspense that recalls the best of Hitchcock.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,254,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible