Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View…

Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View (DNO) (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Various (Author)

Series: Star Wars

201982,786 (3.91)3
Member:DarthTindalus
Title:Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View (DNO)
Authors:Various (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2017), 496 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, Fiction Sci-Fi, C- Star Wars, *Read 2018*

From a Certain Point of View (Star Wars) by Renée Ahdieh (Author) (2017)

An enjoyable read for the most part. It was fun seeing all the different characters and their points of view, kind of like a behind the scenes documentary. A few of the stories were too similar to the movies though, and I felt they didn’t add much to the book. Love the different authors presented here. ( )
  hlwalrath | Aug 21, 2018 |
Writing: 4.0; a variation of writing styles from these 40 or so authors, although most (besides a few exceptions) are pretty good.
Theme: 5.0; a retelling of perhaps the greatest sci-fi story of all time, from the point of view of various characters not featured prominently (or at all) in the film, such as Greedo, Boba Fett, Lando Calrissian, Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn, the cantina band and aliens, various Imperial officers, etc.
Content: 4.0; the general sci-fi violence of Star Wars, with some suggestive material in it not suitable for all audiences or, I believe, in Star Wars in general (forced homosexuality, etc.).
Language: 3.0; 24 uses of vulgarity in the whole of the book. The big problem with this is the fact that all of the stories were written by various authors, so you don't know who will use any or not.

Star Wars is the greatest sci-fi tale of all time. There's no question about that, or the impact it has had on the world as a whole, with the resurgence of Star Wars in the general population. And in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the classic film from 1977, Lucasfilm announced the release of a collection of 40 stories (for 40 years) retelling the film from the perspective of background and minor characters from the movie, also including some from the point of view of characters from other Star Wars media. I'll say this right out: I am a huge Star Wars fan, so some of these stories hit me harder than they might a general (or new) fan of the saga who is really only into the newer era of stuff, and not the originals or prequels so much. Following are the stories that I particularly enjoyed: "Stories in the Sand" and "The Red One" were the first ones I read that I really liked, and I liked them so much because of the fact that they showed how a character with a small part in the story could have a huge impact on the greater good (in the first, a Jawa helps R2-D2 escape the Jawas and gives up his chances of leaving Tatooine; in the latter, R5-D4 forfeits his chance of escape so R2 may be purchased by Luke). "Master and Apprentice," "Time of Death," and "There is Another" were all three stories focusing on characters who were prominent in either the originals, the prequels, or both: the first focused on Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, the second on Obi-Wan himself, and the third on Yoda and Obi-Wan. They give us some insight into how the Jedi feel in such a dark time, and their thoughts on the strong yet untrained Skywalker twins. Others that I really enjoyed were "The Kloo Horn Cantina Caper" (the tale of so many debts the cantina aliens were in and how they got out of them, thanks to each other and a certain smuggler and his Wookiee copilot), "Change of Heart" (the story of an Imperial who defects to the Rebellion after seeing Leia's home destroyed), "Verge of Greatness" (the reaction to the powers of the Death Star from both Tarkin and Krennic), "End of Watch" (the firsthand reaction to Princess Leia's escape from the Death Star prison block), "Duty Roster" (the feelings of a rebel pilot who is constantly mistaken for Wedge Antilles and is left behind in the Battle of Yavin), and "Whills" (the recording of the events of the Battle of Yavin from the all-powerful Whills, with a great sense of humor thrown in). These stories all feature a prominent amount of humor that is excellently balanced with seriousness, as well as a fair amount of references thrown in. Even if you can't read all of these stories, pick out the ones that you feel most drawn to, although be warned, some may be a bit "deceptive" upon first sight (for example, Boba Fett is my favorite character, so I was ready to read his story, "Added Muscle," although it doesn't feel quite like Boba when the story describes his off-duty life -- apparently, he and Jabba the Hutt were drinking buddies; weird). The only stories I didn't feel particularly attracted to AT ALL were "Reirin" and "Of MSE-6 and Men"; the first is about a young Tusken trying to prove herself by hunting droids from Jawas, and I didn't really get what I was reading until halfway through; the second focuses on a mouse droid used to ferry messages about the Death Star, and we learn that a high-ranking Imperial officer has romantic attractions to a stormtrooper. The whole story just felt completely off and weird; it just wasn't Star Wars. In both that and "We Don't Serve Their Kind Here" both had blatantly forced examples of homosexuality; there was just one throwaway line in the latter that put it in, and the first one, as I said, began to revolve around it, and it simply wasn't needed. Besides those three stories, the others were at the very least good. For Star Wars fans, I suggest you check this book out. ***Finished August 9, 2018*** ( )
  DarthTindalus | Aug 10, 2018 |
Star Wars is one of THE BEST adventure tales of my lifetime. I will always love this story. From a Certain Point of View, which is a collection of 40 different authors, seeks to capture the feeling of those iconic Star Wars moments by telling the stories around the stories. The individual stories are well-written, but I only recommend this batch if the Star Wars world already interests you. Proximity to the main story can be interesting if that's what you're after. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jul 24, 2018 |
This is a bit of a mixed bag of stories but the good ones are REALLY good. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
Here's another one I probably wouldn't have experienced had it not been for my public library. I'm normally not really into short stories or anthologies (this is both), and I'm normally not into audiobook fiction. I've found that several of the newer Star Wars books are almost audio dramas with multiple actors voicing characters, background music & sound effects. In retrospect, I would even go as far as to recommend the audiobook over the print edition for this very reason. Some of the best stories in this anthology were made even better by superb voice acting & effects, and some of the mediocre ones were made more tolerable.

The GREAT:

Out of the 40 stories, there are a few that are so superbly written & voiced that I would recommend the book for these alone:

Wil Wheaton's Laina almost brought me to tears! I replayed it later and it had the same effect on the second listen. It's not often that a book, especially a short story containing all original characters has this kind of effect on me. I tip my hat to you sir - well done!

Claudia Gray has become my favorite author for the new cannon novels (for the uninitiated, these are the novels that have been published since Disney bought the rights to Star Wars). So far everything she does for the SW universe is GOLD. Here she contributes Master and Apprentice, in which the spirit of Qui-Gon is communing with Obi-Wan in the deserts of Tatooine.

Rae Carson's The Red One gives backstory to a certain red R5 astromech that makes him an unlikely hero of the rebellion.

In Not for Nothing Mur Lafferty writes from the perspective of one of the members of the band from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes), crafting a tale that was a lot of fun! Definitely one of my favorites.

Eclipse by Madeleine Roux follows Breha Organa as she and her husband Bail deal with the disappearance of their daughter following the interception of the Tantive IV in the opening act of Ep IV: A New Hope

The bad and the weird:

The longest story, The Kloo Horn Cantina Caper might be the one story that was adversely affected by being acted out. One of the main alien characters of the story is read in a squeaky voice that was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Halfway though the tale, I realized I really didn't give a rip about the characters or the story, making this the only tale in which I hit the skip button and did not finish.

The Baptist is all about the creature that lives in the trash compactor on the Death Star. [eye roll]

Palpatine by Ian Doescher is Palpatine's reaction to the destruction of the Death Star - sounds interesting, right? Well, I was really interested for as many seconds as it took to figure out that it's written in metre, using antiquated verbiage, as if to imitate Shakespeare. Um.... No, thank you.

Of MSE-6 and Men by Glen Weldon just pissed me off to no end. It was beyond ridiculous. In this story from the perspective of a mouse droid on board the Death Star, we find that Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin is basically passing notes back and forth via mouse droid with stormtrooper TK421 in attempt to have an illicit affair with him. Why, oh, why, are we retconning Tarkin to make him gay? Beyond that, him having an affair with a stormtrooper is the equivalent of the American Secretary of Defense being engaged in an illicit relationship with a private (ain't gonna happen). The whole thing was out of character for Tarkin. It was a train wreck, in the style of watching Jerry Springer. How this made it into the book, I can only imagine. We had a major character in Chuck Wendig's Aftermath trilogy who was gay, and Sinjir was actually my favorite character. If there's going to be a gay character, that's how you do it. You make a new character. You don't go and retcon it into the story of a character from the beginning of the saga via a short story buried in an anthology.

As for the rest of the stories that I've not mentioned specifically, there are many that are good and enjoyable to varying degrees. I'm not going to try to review every story. I'm only remarking on those that stood out for various reasons, good and bad alike.

1 vote Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |

Weldon, GlenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wendig, ChuckContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whitta, GaryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A long time go in a galaxy far, far away...
"What is it they've sent us?"

When Star Wars: A New Hope was first released in 1977, part of its appeal was that the world it presented felt alive. Landspeeders and starships were dirty. Droids broke down. And it was filled with cool, weird, and really weird background characters. (Really, just take a look around the Mos Eisley cantina.) Never mind Han, Luke, Leia, Darth Vader, and Obi-Wan. Who were these other guys? What was their story? Just seeing them brought up questions for fans that sparked the imagination. In celebration of Star Wars' 40th anniversary, this book shines the spotlight on those unsung weirdos, heroes, and villains with a unique, new anthology. Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, brings together more than 40 authors for 40 stories. Each will be told from the perspective of background characters of A New Hope -- from X-wing pilots who helped Luke destroy the Death Star to the stormtroopers who never quite could find the droids they were looking for. There's never been a Star Wars book like it!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,158,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible