Beautiful Animals: A Novel by Lawrence…

Beautiful Animals: A Novel

by Lawrence Osborne

This is a great beach read for the literary suspense reader. I enjoyed it very much; Osborne has a gift for setting and description, and it played like a movie as I read it. In fact I would love to see a film adaptation some day. Another winner from Lawrence Osborne. Full review: http://www.bostonbibliophile.com/2017/07/review-beautiful-animals-by-lawrence.ht... ( )
  bostonbibliophile | Jul 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not like the way this book started, and almost gave up after about 100 pages. The descriptions and words the author used were too flowery and inappropriate; it seemed as if he wanted to use unusual words to impress the reader. The story line finally got somewhat interesting when "the incident" happened, and I was able to finish it, raising my opinion from 2 to 3 stars. (This was an early review book and hopefully an editor will correct the numerous grammatical errors). ( )
1 vote danfango | Jun 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beautiful Animals started out a quite pleasant and promising read. Naomi is a young woman summering with her parents on the Greek island of Hydra. When she befriends an American girl called Sam, one becomes hopeful that the girls' friendship, and thus their summer, will be memorable. Both are curious and adventurous and seem to have a favorable effect upon one another, that is until they discover a Syrian refugee hiding out on the island. Naomi takes it upon herself to help the refugee by organizing an abandoned shepherd's cottage for his lodging. Then the plot thickens and takes a dark twist. At this point the novel morphs into a psychological thriller of sorts. Naomi and Sam will be forever bound by a secret they share. I really did not enjoy the twisted turn of events. Naomi is a sick character that I'd rather not have had to read or think about.
  astridnr | Jun 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great book for summer reading at the beach as it takes place on the beautiful island of Hydra, Greece in the summertime with the cafes, the beaches, the relaxing that comes with being on the beach in the summer! I found the writing to be 'disjointed' at times. There were sentences which I wasn't sure belonged there and sentences which seemed to just fill the space. There were similes that seemed to just have been written for the sake of writing some similes. Overall, I enjoyed the story. ( )
  Daffydownd1lly | Jun 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There are two “beautiful animals” in this book. One is Naomi, a young woman who is spoiled and rich and bored. She’s staying on a Greek island with her father and step-mother, neither of whom does she get along with. Sam is a naïve young woman who is vacationing with her parents. The two become friends. When they find a young man named Faoud hiding on the island, they believe him to be an Arab refugee. Naomi wants to help him and Sam is pulled unwillingly into Naomi’s plans. Naomi figures that money is what Faoud needs to make a new life for himself so she comes up with the plan to enable Faoud to rob her parents’ home.

I love the writing style of this author. I usually am a fast reader but when I’m reading one of Mr. Osborne’s books, his writing compels me to slow down and read every word. He has a beautiful way with words and pulls me into his stories as if I, too, were vacationing on this Greek Island and knew these people personally. This book is many layered, not only the suspenseful plot but also the dynamics between the characters and their families. This is a morally dark, disturbing tale and one that I became completely engrossed in.

Highly recommended.

This book was given to me by the publisher in return for an honest review. ( )
  hubblegal | Jun 9, 2017 |

A new novel by the author of THE FORGIVEN, about a Mediterranean vacation that takes a terrifying turn

On a hike during a white-hot summer break on the Greek island of Hydra, Naomi and Samantha make a startling discovery: a man named Faoud, sleeping heavily, exposed to the elements, but still alive. Naomi, the daughter of a wealthy British art collector who has owned a villa in the exclusive hills for decades, convinces Sam, a younger American girl on vacation with her family, to help this stranger. As the two women learn more about the man, a migrant from Syria and a casualty of the crisis raging across the Aegean sea, their own burgeoning friendship intensifies, and when a simple plan of revenge goes horrifically wrong, Faoud must go on the run while the girls come to terms with the terrible consequences they have set in motion.

In this brilliant psychological study of manipulation and greed, Lawrence Osborne creates another atmospheric masterpiece reminiscent of Patricia Highsmith and Paul Bowles.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:50:12 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lawrence Osborne's book Beautiful Animals is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,076,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible