Kill River

by Cameron Roubique

In the summer of 1983, thirteen-year-old Cyndi and her three new-found friends, Stacy, Zack, and Brad decide to sneak away from their summer camp in the middle of the night by rafting down the nearby rivers. After spending a tense night lost in the woods, the four teenagers stumble into a mysterious water park that appears to be completely empty.At first they are thrilled to have the rides all to themselves, at least until one of them disappears. Soon they discover that they are trapped in the park, and a dark figure is stalking them from the shadows, picking them off one by one. Once night falls, Cyndi will have to fight to escape the park, a masked maniac, and a living nightmare.Kill River is a wild water park ride filled with blood, gore, and '80s nostalgia. Slasher fans rejoice, old school horror is back!… (more)

This book was like what would happen if RL Stine and Christopher Pike had a child with a penchant for gore. I loved it. ( )
  Danielle.Desrochers | Oct 10, 2023 |
I haven’t read a lot of slashers, but I know enough about the genre to recognize this as an old-school throwback to 80s nostalgia and horror. Not only is it tense and bloody, but it’s also a lot of fun! I realized just how fun once I put the book down and could breath again. I’m not kidding when I say this book had me on the edge of my seat for the entirety of the second half!

Despite an extended first half void of many scares, I sped through this book. I actually enjoyed the longer set up: getting to know the kids and understanding their dynamics to each other and the camp. As a teacher I felt like protagonists are incredibly realistic characters, and I’ll admit I felt for Counselor Sheehan having to put up with their shenanigans haha

But again, that second half ( )
  Reading_Vicariously | May 22, 2023 |
It's inspiring to see independent authors writing novels that are so inspired by 1980's trash. Judging from this author's amazing book covers, I knew what I was in for. It takes a while to get going and most of the characters don't exactly have a ton of depth. Then again, neither did the characters in Friday the 13th or anything else that this book seemed to be inspired by. When the horror does get going, it's a fun read. ( )
  jasonrkron | Jan 15, 2021 |
Hold on tight, kids! You can bet your life this is one water ride you'll never forget...

'80s nostalgia is at an all-time high in terms of popularity. We have Stranger Things, the surprise nonfiction hit from Grady Hendrix titled Paperbacks from Hell, the It (2017) film adaption, and endless other Stephen King works being brought to the screen. What do these things have in common other than the '80s? Horror, baby! The 1980s was an awesome decade for horror entertainment, and audiences are craving it more than ever. So what better time to bring back the infamous slasher movie craze of the '80s? Cue Kill River by Cameron Roubique.

Kill River takes place in 1983 and follows 13-year-old Cyndi who is sent away to summer camp by her parents. She meets three new friends (much to her surprise) and the four hatch a plan to steal a raft and sneak away from this boring summer camp. However, after getting lost on the river, they stumble across an empty water park called THRILL RIVER. It seems almost too good to be true... and that's because it is. In true slasher horror fashion, things take a bloody turn.

What we have here is a blast of a book from beginning to end. It is fast-paced, thrilling, steeped in '80s pop culture references, and fits in perfectly with the slasher genre... but Roubique takes some much appreciated liberties here.

If you are familiar with the slasher subgenre, you will know that many of those films had rather unlikable characters that left you aching to see them get the ax... literally. That is not the case here. Our main character Cyndi is one of my favorite protagonists that I've read in a long time. I'm not using that term lightly. Even though I'm a 25-year-old guy, I genuinely connected to this girl. When the story opens, we know right away that Cyndi is a shy character. She doesn't know how to communicate well and has no interest in making friends, instead finding peace in her music. Everyone else can just leave her alone. As book nerds, I think we can all relate to this. However, when Cyndi goes to camp she begins to make friends and open up. And when put in life-or-death situations, she uses her wits to keep going. By the end of the book, Cyndi is a better version of herself. And that's something Roubique should be proud of.

Believe it or not, Cyndi isn't even my favorite character. At camp, she meets Stacy who seems like a spoiled rich girl at first glance. But this girl goes out of her way to make Cyndi feel at home. Stacy welcomes her, sticks up for her, and understands Cyndi even though the two are very different people. It's rare to see a wholesome bond like this in a book with teen characters. Even the other two characters Brad and Zach, while not always likable, are believable as teenage boys and aren't bad kids.

But enough about characters. What you really need in a slasher is a lot of fun, and this book has it. Even during the first half of the book when our characters are at camp and doing regular teen things, there is never a boring moment. I was swept up in the nostalgic memories of going to camp myself and I felt right at home while reading. Then when the story gets to the good stuff (i.e. the bloodshed), it's no breaks from there. Roubique's writing is descriptive but follows a steady beat all the way through.

Obviously, if you are a slasher fan you should totally pick this book up. Also, I think YA readers will really dig it. After all, the characters are young and slasher films were always meant to attract the teenage crowd.

Kill River has a quality that should appeal to readers across the spectrum. I give Kill River by Cameron Roubique 5 out of 5 masked water park killers! ( )
  bookmovieguy | Apr 25, 2018 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,035,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible