Far from the Tree by Robin Benway

Far from the Tree (edition 2017)

by Robin Benway (Author)

Three teenagers, biological siblings separated by adoption, explore the meaning of family in all its forms -- how to find it, how to keep it, and how to love it.
Member:alicia.becker
Title:Far from the Tree
Authors:Robin Benway (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2017), Edition: 1st Edition, 384 pages

Far from the Tree by Robin Benway

teen realistic fiction (adopted teens with half-brother in foster care; fear of abandonment)
Joaquin is half-Latinx; Grace gave her own baby up for adoption; Maya's adopted mom is an alcoholic and her parents get a divorce. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Usually books that have multiple narrators are frustrating because there is always one that I don't particularly like and want to skip over. I actually genuinely liked all three main characters and was actively rooting for them. There was some necessary suspension of disbelief, but the story was still extremely compelling. This was a young adult novel that was exciting, funny, and still very heartbreaking at times. ( )
  thereserose5 | Mar 3, 2021 |
After Grace gives her baby up for adoption, she decides to find her own birth mother. She discovers two other siblings, an older brother and a younger sister, who have no interest in finding the "woman who abandoned them." Joaquin has been in foster care since he was a baby. Maya was adopted at birth like Grace. Can they be a family with three different lives?

I loved this book. The audio was well done. It's an emotional read. I made the mistake of finishing it in the morning before school. My makeup needed a touch up before I left.

p. 335
"That's exactly what family is, Joaquin!" Maya shouted at him. "It means that no matter where you go, no matter how far you run, you're still a part of me and Grace and we're still a part of you, too! ... And sometimes family hurts each other. But after that's done you bandage each other up, and you move on. Together." ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
Stunning! Joaquin, Grace, & Maya define & re-define what a family can be! ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
I loved this book. One quibble: the character development for two of the romantic interests (Birdie and Claire) was pretty flat. I never got a good sense of who either of them is. But that was a small thing, since the main characters are all very well drawn and vibrant. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |

Robin Benwayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Forrester, KateCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JulieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother
Grace hadn't really thought too much about homecoming.
He wished they would go away, because nothing was worse than someone wanting to talk when the words you needed to say hadn't been invented yet.
Sympathy was sometimes worse than being ignored.
One of the reasons Grace had given up Peach was because she hadn't wanted her life to stop ("You're so young," her parents had implored over and over again), but nobody had told Grace that her life might stop anyway, that she'd be trapped in the amber of her pregnancy, of Peach, while the rest of the world continued to change around her.
She had spent  so long operating under the idea that secrets never left their house that she didn't know how to handle it when any of them escaped, except to make her walls closer, tighter, hugging her in so no one else would ever be able to enter.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,324,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible