It Happens in the Hamptons: A Novel by Holly…

It Happens in the Hamptons: A Novel

by Holly Peterson

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book for free from Early Reviewers and I wouldn't have read as much of it as I did if I hadn't gotten it for free. I have a rule about not wasting more than 50 pages on a book and by well over 100 I was STILL not interested in any of the characters or stories. I really tried to like it... I know so many people who used to spend summers in the Hamptons. I thought I'd like the book.

It's a quick read, but not really interesting enough to be a great beach read, in my opinion. I'm donating my copy to a library so those who like it will be able to find it. I don't think any of my friends fall into that category. There are so many better options for beach reads... ( )
  KatKealy | Jun 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is definitely a light beach read and not something I usually would choose. But it did keep me interested to the end and I liked the humorous way the author treated many of the characters.
Hoping to get a fresh start after her mothers death, Katie Doyle accepts the offer of her current 'lover' to move for the summer with her young son across the country from Oregon to a cottage in the Hamptons. Not fully immersed in a relationship with her beau George, Katie meets a handsome surf instructor, Luke when she enrolls her son in his summer water camp. Things heat up and George becomes more mysterious and aloof as the summer progresses. George is definitely the country club type and Luke is not. Katie is pulled between the two different men, leaning towards one and then the other. Sex and intrigue bring this fun tale together. Recommended for fun. ( )
  erinclark | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I only read half of this book because I could not get into the story. I didn't like the way the author kept switching the point of views within the chapters.
I had high hopes for this book but I was disappointed. ( )
1 vote bah195 | Jun 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Katie Doyle moves from Oregon to the Hamptons at the invitation of her new friend/fling, George. She rents a cottage from his mother and begins to settle in, find summer employment, look for permanent employment, find new friends and activities for her young son, and to see if this new friendship with George is going to go anywhere. He promises to leave her alone and give her lots of space, and does. A bewildering amount of space actually, where she won't see him for days on end. Many of the ways and traditions of the Hamptons that Katie encounters are odd to her, especially George and his country club members, but the ocean does have a magical pull for her, so she tries to make a life there.

This light, summer beach-read has it's share of romance and mystery and issues between the rich and the Hampton natives. Definitely not a taxing read, maybe a little too light-weight for some tastes, but a certainly a book you can get through in a few days on a beach blanket. ( )
  belleek | Jun 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First, thank you to LibraryThing (William Morrow Publications) for an advanced copy of this paperback book for my enjoyment and review. If you like a true summer,
in-the- beach-bag, chik-lit book – this is truly your read. Most people love summer stories about Cape Cod and the Hamptons, and this book will not disappoint. It is the story of Katy Doyle who moves from Oregon to the Hamptons to spend the summer in a little cottage of a friend (George) of hers, who promises to “leave her alone” and let her settle in. She and her 8 year old son are attracted to many things about the Hamptons, so of course there is romance and fun involved. Enjoy, and put into your beach bag now!! ( )
  annwelton | Jun 16, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006239150X, Paperback)

In the Hamptons, everyday people are as complicated and fascinating as millionaires...

When Katie Doyle moves across the country to the Hamptons, she is hoping to find summer employment, new friends for her young son, and a chance to explore a new love affair with George, a dazzling investor. What she finds is a strange cocktail of classes, where society’s one-percenters vacation alongside local, hardworking people who’ve lived in the Hamptons for generations. Though she’s looking forward to her move, Katie is wary about mingling in her boyfriend’s East Coast elite circles. She soon discovers Southampton isn’t all that it seems to be on the surface—and neither are the people who live there.

As George takes Katie on a whirlwind tour of country clubs, haute couture, and lavish events, Katie is amazed to witness sudden whims becoming dire needs, extramarital affairs blossoming right and left, and people purchasing friends and loyalties like a pair of shoes. Even the middle-class townspeople maintain determined façades while maneuvering like sharks among the wealthy summer invaders.

The more Katie becomes immersed, the more she learns the stories of both the upstairs and downstairs, the upper crust and middle of the road. The combustion between classes becomes explosive as the summer tears on. Betrayals, a sexual predator, and a missing person lost in murky waves drive the reader on a racing Learjet through impossible twists and turns before landing at the shocking conclusion. When Katie meets Luke, a marine biologist and teacher, he makes her what it is she really wants as she understands the life she’s begun for herself is built on shifting Hamptons’ dunes.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 28 Apr 2017 17:50:16 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Holly Peterson's book It Happens in the Hamptons is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,106,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible