Les Misérables (English language) by…

Les Misérables (English language) (original 1862; edition 2010)

by Victor Hugo (Author)

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.
Member:tagallant
Title:Les Misérables (English language)
Authors:Victor Hugo (Author)
Info:Public Domain Books (2010), 959 pages

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anónimo (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (CorinneT)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
Elevenses (185)
Europe (11)
Romans (19)

English (265)  French (8)  Spanish (5)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (289)
Wow. Or is that most sacred excrement? On my fourth attempt, I finished this Fall River Press/Barnes & Noble hardcover, published in 2012 presumably to commemorate the sesquicentennial (150-year anniversary) of the novel's original 1862 appearance. It crams the 1,463-page mass-market paperback edition into 908 pages of tiny print, the story of ex-convict Jean Valjean, as well as that of the massive underclass everywhere about which nobody cares. The only reasons I didn't give this greatest of all French (translated into English) novels five stars are the many tangents on which the author flies, including a multi-page "history" of the Parisian sewers. A long, sometimes depressing, sometimes aggravating--I wanted to strangle Inspector Javert--but ultimately great read. ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
Stopping it midway. Cannot continue as it has so much of details about everything and it is making me so confused. Maybe will restart it some other day.
  __echo__ | May 11, 2021 |
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't take it any more. Every day a new sermon about religion or politics or some other topic that he absolutely beat to death. I don't care enough about the story to endure any more of that. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
“However, this sceptic had one fanaticism. This fanaticism was neither a dogma, nor an idea, nor an art, nor a science; it was a man: Enjolras. Grantaire admired, loved, and venerated Enjolras. To whom did this anarchical scoffer unite himself in this phalanx of absolute minds? To the most absolute. In what manner had Enjolras subjugated him? By his ideas? No. By his character. A phenomenon which is often observable. A sceptic who adheres to a believer is as simple as the law of complementary colors. That which we lack attracts us. No one loves the light like the blind man. The dwarf adores the drum-major. The toad always has his eyes fixed on heaven. Why? In order to watch the bird in its flight. Grantaire, in whom writhed doubt, loved to watch faith soar in Enjolras. He had need of Enjolras. That chaste, healthy, firm, upright, hard, candid nature charmed him, without his being clearly aware of it, and without the idea of explaining it to himself having occurred to him.”

The most encompassing obsession of my life. "To love or have loved that is enough." ( )
  Rachel_Cucinella | Apr 24, 2021 |
My pick for 2021 PopSugar Reading Challenge prompt #41: The longest book (by pages) on your TBR

After one month, I finally finished it few minutes before midnight (last night)! If it's not for the reading challenge, I'd have postponed reading it indefinitely. For a classic, it's the typical book that I really dread to read. I'm not going to reread this unless I'm held at gun-point and it's life-threatening. It's dense and full of philosophical ramblings that swerve from the main direction of the plot. Thanks to the audiobooks and text-to-speech features, I managed to read it in a shorter time. If I used my eyes only , I'd have stared at one sentence in five minutes.

The thing I love about it is how the narrator engaged the readers by reminding us of the previously mentioned instances that lead to the situation of that scene. Will definitely watch any--or all-- adaptations of Les Miserables, including "Cosette". It's an anime adaptation by World Masterpiece Theater. ( )
  DzejnCrvena | Apr 2, 2021 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Solange kraft der Gesetze und Sitten eine soziale Verdammnis existiert, die auf künstlichem Weg, inmitten einer hoch entwickelten Zivilisation, Höllen schafft und noch ein von Menschen gewolltes Fatum zu dem Schicksal, das von Gott kommt, hinzufügt ;
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
So long as there shall exist, by virtue of law and custom, decrees of damnation pronounced by society, artificially creating hells amid the civilization of the earth, and adding the element of human fate to divine destiny; so long as the three great problems of the century - the degradation of man through pauperism, the corruption of woman through hunger, the crippling of children through lack of light - are unsolved; so long as social asphyxia is possible in any part of the world - in other words, and with a still wider significance, so long as ignorance and poverty exist on earth, books of the nature of Les Miserables cannot fail to be of use. (Preface)
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.

Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!
A fugitive man
gets a new name and new life.
He adopts a girl.

(marcusbrutus)

5 1970

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102758, 1400109000

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,840,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible