The Great Alone: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

The Great Alone: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

Member:BLKerrick
Title:The Great Alone: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:Holtzbrinck Publishers (2018), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Literary Fiction

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

4.5 stars. Kristin Hannah is a master story teller. This is my second of her novels and I loved them both. She does an amazing job of following characters through their lives but having the story flow easily. Great read! ( )
  AmalieTurner | Jun 11, 2018 |
A well written book about a dysfunctional families struggle to survive in the harsh bush of the Alaskan wilderness and the land's effects on them. It's a tragic story of survival. ( )
  lewilliams | Jun 2, 2018 |
As other reviewers have said, I had high expectations for this book. And it was a good read, but not worthy of the "wow" that others have rated it. I give it 3 1/2 stars. The story is somewhat predictable. You know from the beginning that abuse will be part of the story because of PTSD. The survivalist twist was unexpected and I was intrigued by that but sadly, it was a thin thread in this story. Then an accident happens and it is a gallop to the end of the story. So much storyline was condensed into a few pages. Having said that, I did like the characters because they were wholly fleshed out. A very readable writing style. ( )
  lburman | May 18, 2018 |
The Alaskan wilderness is a major character in this story of a young girl and her family who move to Alaska. Leni and her Mom had gotten by just fine while her dad was in Viet Nam. When he returned they were sure life would be even better, but Dad's experiences in battle and as a prisoner of war had left him with emotional and psychological problems that he could not control. Moving to Alaska, where a family is basically on its won to survive makes these problems more extreme and much more dangerous. Dad beats Mom, but she refuses to leave him because she loves him so. He's always sorry afterward, and she is always sure this will be the last time. Leni becomes a young woman in the wilds of Alaska. She gains confidence, strength, and a will to survive. She falls in love with the only boy her age in the local school, Matthew Walker. Matthew is a gentle and sweet boy, and the two dream of leaving the wilderness and going to Fairbanks together for college and then to build a life. The problem, Leni's father hates Michael's family, and, therefor, Michael. There are tragedies and shocking events that complicate Leni's life, but I won't share them here. The only negative of this novel is that it becomes almost unbearable waiting to see what terrible think Leni's father will do next. ( )
  DrApple | May 9, 2018 |
The setup and the beginning of The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah is intense in the characters, the setting, the situation, and the emotion. It has a sympathetic main character to care about. The events seem frighteningly real. However, as the book proceeds, it seems like a race to incorporate every bad thing that can happen into this one story. Let's just say that it goes too far and undermines the "reality" of the powerful setup of the book.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/05/the-great-alone.html

Reviewed for NetGalley ( )
  njmom3 | May 8, 2018 |

Kristin Hannahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves.
---JEAN-JACQUES ROUSSEAU
To the women in my family. All of them are warriors. Sharon, Debbie, Laura, Julie, Mackenzie, Sara, Kaylee, Toni, Jacquie, Dana, Leslie, Katie, Joan, Jerrie, Liz, Courtney, and Stephanie.

And to Braden, our newest adventurer.
That spring, rain fell in great sweeping gusts that rattled the rooftops.
"Alaska herself can be Sleeping Beauty one minute and a bitch with a sawed-off shotgun the next. There's a saying: Up here you can make one mistake. The second one will kill you."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,551,410 books! | Top bar: Always visible