Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming…

Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming Cozy Mysteries Book 1) (edition 2017)

by Patti Larsen (Author)

A Poo Poo Kind of Morning I tried not to look down the mouth of hell staring back at me from inside the glaringly pristine outer ceramic shell of the white throne, my throat catching, stomach doing half flips and a rather impressive rollover routine that would have gotten at least a 9.5 even from the Russian judges. Instead, I forced myself to smile and swallow and remind myself the elbow length yellow rubber gloves grasping the handle of the standard issue plunger were all that stood between me and Pooageddon. Suck it up, Fee. Big girl panties and adulting and all that. "At what point," I waved the dripping plunger, wincing as droplets of yuck flew, "did I think owning a bed and breakfast was going to be glamorous and romantic?" Fiona Fleming hasn't lived in Reading, Vermont in over a decade, her escape from small town living leading her to New York City and a life of adventure. An adventure that has left her with no career, an ex who cheated on her and zero plans for the future. Her grandmother's death grants her a new chance-inheriting Petunia's, Iris Fleming's bed and breakfast, seems like the ideal fresh start. But when Fee finds out ownership of the property Iris willed her might be in question, she's drawn into the seedy underbelly of the cutest town in America after being singled out as the main suspect in a murder.… (more)
Member:JeremiahValeska
Title:Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming Cozy Mysteries Book 1)
Authors:Patti Larsen (Author)
Info:Mayhem and Murder Ink (2017), 346 pages

Work Information

Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming Cozy Mysteries Book 1) by Patti Larsen

Bed and Breakfast and Murder is a somewhat entertaining book. It was written so that there could be sequels to it which is maybe why something was missing. There was not much bed and breakfast just trying to figure out who murdered the hated man. The book was awarded three stars in this review. ( )
  lbswiener | Oct 15, 2021 |
Fiona Fleming has returned home after breaking up with her cheating boyfriend in NYC. She also had had a good excuse. Her grandmother had left her the B&B that the grandmother ran, so Fiona decided that it was time for a change.

John Fleming used to be the Sheriff of the small town of Reading in Vermont. Fiona grew up learning a lot about police procedures and law enforcement. Her father even taught her how to use a gun in a safe manner. Fiona's dream was to become a law enforcement officer when she grew up.

But in High school, for whatever reason, John Fleming made it clear that he did not support the idea of his daughter becoming a law enforcement officer, thereby ruining Fiona's dream. So Fiona ran away. She moved to NYC.

Now she is back. She begins running the B&B that she inherited. But less than 1 week after she returned home, a man named Peter Wilkins showed up and told her that her grandmother has signed off the deed of the B&B to him and that she had 48 hours to vacate the premises. The very next day Pete Wilkins is found dead in the fish pond in the front yard of the B&B, and naturally Fiona is the main suspect.

This is told in first person POV which is a little hard to get used, but the more I read, I more I became used to how Fiona thinks. Fiona's problem is that she desperately needed to find the murderer, clear her name and get her B&B back.

Just a cautionary word. This novel opens with some pretty salty language!! No swearing, but there other words that one would not want to hear coming out of a young ladies mouth!!

One other thing. The "Sidekick" in this novel is not a human. Rather it is a dog. A Pug dog named Petunia. A very LAZY pug dog named Petunia. I am not a fan of dogs.

But once you get past the salty language and the dogs bad habits, this turned out to be a great read.

I gave this 4 stars because I had to deduct one star for the dog. ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |
This was okay. Not a must read but not a dnf either. I probably would read the next book in the series but I would not go hunt it down.
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
Fiona (Fee) inherits her grandmother Iris’ bed and breakfast. It gave her an accuse to move home to Vermont from New York City and a cheating ex-boyfriend. What she didn’t expect was for a property developer, Pete Wilkins to claim that Iris had signed the deed to the inn over to him. The next day his body is found in her garden pond. Now she is the #1 suspect in his death.
There are some books that you just slide into the story this is one. It was a relaxing, quick-paced read that flowed from the pages. The characters of the town of Reading are well described, the mystery is interesting and comes with a surprising end. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Oct 24, 2017 |
I have found a new author that has grabbed my attention. She blends humor and sarcasm in a story that is sassy and full of great characters. Fee has just returned to her small town to run the B&B her grandmother left her. I loved her character so much I wanted to be her friend. She is funny and sure knows how to upset the new sheriff in town.

Fee has a pug who is a big plus for the story. Petunia is perhaps a bit overweight and maybe a bit stinky sometimes, but oh my the dog stole my heart. I don't think Fee was well received by the employees at the B&B but after all, she really knows little about running the place. The author had me loving this story from the beginning with Fee and her attitude. When a body is found on her property, the finger pointing starts. There is a cast of suspects that the sheriff will have to interrogate. Crew is the new sheriff and Fee is not really impressing him much. Could it be that Fee's dad use to be the sheriff? Fee is determined to find out answers on her own which doesn't sit well with Crew. There are quite a few surprises in the story and you better hold on tight as the ending will blow you away. I was shocked and loved the unexpected turn of events. I didn't see it coming and was so impressed with the authors twists and turns in the story. This is one author I am excited to find. I can't wait for the next book in the series. What will Fee get into next? Will Fee and Crew become friends? Grab your copy and get comfy. This is one story you will be glad you read.

I received a copy of this book from The Great Escape Book Tour. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Apr 30, 2017 |

Patti Larsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adams, HollyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gaudet, ChristinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Patti Larsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,234,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible