The Hot Shot by Kristen Callihan

The Hot Shot (edition 2017)

by Kristen Callihan (Author)

Series: Game On (4)

First we were friends. Then we were roommates. Now I want more...What can I say about Chess Copper? The woman is capable of bringing me to my knees. I know this about five minutes after getting naked for her.No one is more surprised than me. The prickly photographer my team hired to shoot our annual charity calendar isn't my usual type. She's defense to my offense, a challenge at every turn. But when I'm with her, all the regrets and darkness goes away. She makes life fun.I want to know Chess, be close to her. Which is a bad idea.Chess is looking for a relationship. I've never given a woman more than one night. But when fate leaves Chess without a home, I step up and offer her mine. We're roommates now. Friends without benefits. But it's getting harder to keep our hands off each other. And the longer we live together the more I realize she's becoming my everything.Trick is...Now that I've made her believe I'm a bad bet, how do I convince her to give this player a true shot at forever?… (more)
Member:jenniferlhewitt
Title:The Hot Shot
Authors:Kristen Callihan (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2017), 336 pages

Work Information

The Hot Shot by Kristen Callihan

Kristen Callihan is a must read author for me. I do not even read the book description before I purchase because I am so certain I will love anything she writes. Her stories are great but her characters are what really draw me in. The are totally realistic and also completely swoon worthy. I know when I read one of her books I will become totally obsessed with it. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Wow.. This book was unexpectedly good. I used to be very much into star crossed lovers, destined romances a long time ago and I have only started reading them again. This book was very enjoyable with good themes of friends turned lovers, importance of communication between partners and dealing with grief.
I especially loved Finn who despite being the famous great looking quarterback is also very funny, flirty, sometimes cheesy and not above showing his vulnerable side to the woman he loves. Chess is fierce and sassy and though she has her own issues with loss and abandonment, it was great to see her give a chance to herself to fall in love.
The writing is very funny and easy flowing, the banter between Chess and Finn is quite adorable and sexy and the development of their romance is done very well. I never thought I would I would like sports romances, considering I know nothing about football but I thoroughly loved this one and will probably check out other books by this author. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
Reread Nov 2017:
You know, I might *might* knock off a half star for plot devices stacked there at the end....but...nah....it's just too damn delightful.

Chess is funny, independent, dedicated, driven and grounded. I loved her. She made choices I understood and was generous enough in her spirit yet cautious and honest enough to face issues head on.

Finn is the guy who states without hesitation that, sure, he'll buy someone tampons. And you believe it. Finn is also cautious while being open, direct, honest, and flirty. Quick-witted. I loved him. A laid back and focused character with a whole lot of confidence...sexy. He knew where it was all going, he just had to figure out how to get there and accept it.

This couple decides that they don't meet each other's needs immediately. Finn is gun-shy on relationships for solid reasons, and is struggling with what's real and what's not. Upon meeting Chess, he realizes she's real so is definitely interested, but it's still slow-going for them. Chess doesn't do casual, and is looking for someone she can build a life with, but is completely fine on her own. Both characters are amazingly considerate of the other, demonstrating through little romantic gestures and their wonderful communication. Some stuff happens, there's forced proximity, then there's choices at a point at which the characters are already gone for each other. It's a friends-to-lovers but it is not because from the onset it is clear they want each other. After all, from Ch 2:
The second I touch him, I know it's a mistake. The air between us changes, drawing tight. A hum pulses in my bones, and his expression becomes intent, his focus never wavering from mine. In that instant, I know him. I know him. I known him my whole existence, like I've been waiting for him to return from wherever he's been.
Kristen Callihan is brilliant because she doesn't say "he gazes at me intently," she says shit like above, or
it's the intensity of his focus, as if you are the most important thing in this golden god's world.
We all want to feel a little of that, right?

I really don't want to spoil some of these beautiful thoughts of the characters, but I'll say this: lots of sexual tension and slow burn and then you basically burst into flames. (I flushed and fanned myself there in chapter 14.)

But there are flaws. I felt there were quite a few plot devices, maybe a couple too many. The first time I read them, my heart pounded and they worked. The second, they felt a little weaker. I also noticed that they end of this book could be considering amazingly cheesy - partially because Finn is an incredibly tender hero. That tenderness manifests in sweet and sappy ways at times, and I loved it. I certainly won't downgrade because it got a cheesy. Sometimes you just need that smack right in the feels. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
LOVED THIS ONE! The romance, it was funny. Everything was great about it. Finn and Chess are opposites and as they always say opposites attract and BOY do they attract in this one! The two met in a fairly unconventional way, a naked photoshoot. Finn is my newest book boyfriend. He’s amazing. He is head over heels with Chess, it started as a friendship but grew into much more! I like the build up to their relationship. The sex scenes were written fabulously the whole book was written great, easy to follow not too much drama. There are some things that you won’t see coming in this book though. Definitely worth the read! ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,001,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible