Everything We Lost by Valerie Geary

Everything We Lost

by Valerie Geary

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to the publisher, William Morrow, via LibraryThing, for an Uncorrected Proof of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion.

Valerie Geary is a new author for me. She has written what is billed as a psychological thriller but seemed more like a coming-of-age drama about paranoia and UFO's. It's told in alternating voices of the two protagonists, Lucy, and her older brother, Nolan, who disappeared 10 years before when they were both teens. Nolan's voice is in flashbacks to 10 years ago and Lucy's is in both flashbacks and the present. She feels guilty because she can't remember what happened to her and Nolan on his last night due to her drinking too much alcohol.

The novel is set in California and there is a lot of information about researching UFO's from Nolan's view. He is so convinced there is life in outer space that he logs all of his imagined, mysterious, and perhaps real sightings into a Casebook. It becomes extremely repetitious. The book is entirely too long and depressing. It did not have a satisfying ending for me and I am wondering if perhaps the author is planning a sequel. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Jun 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I understand that authors don't always want to connect the proverbial dots for their readers; sometimes readers want answers to the mysteries within a novel. While the ending of Everything We Lost left me feeling let down, it is not the main reason that I cannot recommend this novel. This could have been a better sci-fi book and/or mystery book, but I feel that the author was testing the waters of assorted genres and couldn't make a decision to go "all in" with any.

I won't even get started on my issues with Lucy, the book's shiftless main character. ( )
  MsNick | Jun 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really thought I would like this book more but it just didn't provide the story I thought it would. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be science fiction or a mystery - it was like the author couldn't decide which way to go. You didn't get any closure - you don't find out what actually happened to Nolan or Celeste or what Lucy was doing the night Nolan disappeared. I received an ARC of this book from LibraryThing. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Jun 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I recently read Valerie Geary's Crooked River and was happy to receive her latest, Everything We Lost. Overall, I liked the story. It explores family dynamics, mental health, addictions, and the supernatural, however none in any real depth. I had a hard time starting the book, it seemed to start out rather slowly, but about halfway through I couldn't put it down. I would recommend it, just be patient and enjoy the meandering ride it offers. ( )
  glendalea | Jun 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Twenty-four-year-old Lucy Durant cannot start her adult life until she investigates the disappearance of her brother, a UFO amateur investigator, ten years earlier. So she revisits her hometown, where her mother's grief has taken the form of hope, hope that her son has actually been abducted by extraterrestrials and is still alive.

As Lucy investigates the circumstances of her brother's disappearance, she questions everyone who was present at the time, desperately hoping to find the truth of that night. She also attempts to retrieve her own memories of that night.

The book was a mystery, but more of a coming-of-age story as Lucy attempts to arrive at the truth of her brother's fate as well as her own past.

I enjoyed the book, despite it having a few flaws. Most of the characters were unrealistically hostile to Lucy, and her mother's characterization was particularly problematic. I became confused by the timeline. I was interested in Lucy's story, but found her brother's chapters boring. Lucy's ultimate fate seemed strange to me, and not really in character.

The story was well written, particularly the descriptions of the night sky and the musings on the mysteries of the universe.
  kgallagher625 | Jun 24, 2017 |

Lucy Durant was only fourteen-years-old when she lost her older brother. First to his paranoid delusions as he became increasingly obsessed with UFOs and government conspiracies. Then, permanently, when he walked into the desert outside Bishop, California, and never returned.

Now on the tenth anniversary of Nolan's mysterious disappearance, Lucy is still struggling with guilt and confusion--her memories from that period are blurry and obscured by time, distance, and alcohol. Now an adult, she's stuck in a holding pattern, hiding out at her father's house, avoiding people, and doing whatever she can to keep herself from thinking about Nolan. But when a series of unsettling events leads Lucy back to Bishop, she is forced to reconcile with her estranged mother and come to terms with the tangled memories of her past to discover what really happened to her brother all those years ago.

Told in Lucy and Nolan's alternating voices, Everything We Lost is a psychological mystery exploring family, beliefs, obsessions, the nature of memory, and fear of the unknown--a haunting, compelling story that will resonate with readers long after the last page is turned.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 01 May 2017 18:11:03 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Valerie Geary's book Everything We Lost is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,327,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible