Carson Crosses Canada by Linda Bailey

Carson Crosses Canada

by Linda Bailey

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed If You Happen to Have a Dinosaur and was very excited to see this book up on Librarything last month. I did not however remember the synopsis when I started reading, so I had completely forgotten that Carson is a doggie! I got a little over excited when I realized that.

The story follows Annie and her dog Carson across Canada to visit her sister. As they travel they stop in a bunch of different places and show the reader Canada. I really liked this book a lot, I love books with dogs - that was the first win but the illustrations throughout this book were GORGEOUS! They are vivid watercolors of landscapes and the adorable characters and I loved looking at them. The story was so cute I loved the road-trip and the stops along the way. There is even a map on the end-pages which shows their trip. I thought the whole thing was absolutely adorable and I highly recommend it for parents and their children (or just lovers of children's books - like myself). ( )
  sszkutak | Jun 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is probably best for Canadians already familiar with the basic geography of their country. I found myself constantly referring to the maps on the endpapers to figure out exactly where the characters were. It seems like the name of the relevant province could have at least been worked into the gouache illustrations, if not the text. I also didn't appreciate the little "souvenir" Carson the dog left behind at Niagara Falls; I don't think it's wise to give children the message that it's OK to let your dog do that. Although the story and illustrations are cute, with a surprise ending, I was disappointed - the book could have been so much more.
  rdg301library | Jun 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a fun little book about taking a road trip across Canada and all the fun places to stop and see on the way. The pictures are bright, colorful and very fun to look at. My little ones really enjoyed listening to the story and looking at the pictures. It's a fun way to take an adventure. 🙂 ( )
  Bagginski | Jun 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This sweet book features two of my favorite things: dogs and road trips! The story follows an older woman who takes her pup on a long trip across the entire country. Along the way they stop at many Canadian landmarks. The illustrations were an absolute highlight. I also loved that there's a list of all their stops included at the end of the book. I did come across one big typo, which irked me, especially since kids are learning to read and they assume the spelling and grammar in books is always going to be correct. All-in-all I was a fan. I'd love to see Carson road trip across another country. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book didn't have much of a plot. The illustrations were really gorgeous. I loved how accurate they were for the various parts of Canada they were crossing. I think kids would definitely enjoy the ending where the two dogs reunite, because for them it probably is an unexpected ending. ( )
  exploreacademy | Jun 13, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Linda Bailey's book Carson Crosses Canada is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible