Haunted Nights by Lisa Morton

Haunted Nights

by Lisa Morton (Editor), Ellen Datlow (Editor)

Other authors: Kelley Armstrong (Contributor), Pat Cadigan (Contributor), Elise Forier Edie (Contributor), Brian Evenson (Contributor), Jeffrey Ford (Contributor)11 more, Eric J. Guignard (Contributor), Stephen Graham Jones (Contributor), Kate Jonez (Contributor), Paul Kane (Contributor), John Langan (Contributor), John R. Little (Contributor), Jonathan Maberry (Contributor), Seanan McGuire (Contributor), SP Miskowski (Contributor), Garth Nix (Contributor), Joanna Parypinski (Contributor)

"Sixteen never-before-published chilling tales that explore every aspect of our darkest holiday, Halloween, co-edited by Ellen Datlow, one of the most successful and respected genre editors, and Lisa Morton, a leading authority on Halloween. In addition to stories about scheming jack-o'-lanterns, vengeful ghosts, otherworldly changelings, disturbingly realistic haunted attractions, masks that cover terrifying faces, murderous urban legends, parties gone bad, cult Halloween movies, and trick or treating in the future, Haunted Nights also offers terrifying and mind-bending explorations of related holidays like All Souls' Day, Dia de los Muertos, and Devil's Night. "With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds" by Seanan McGuire "Dirtmouth" by Stephen Graham Jones" "A Small Taste of the Old Countr" by Jonathan Maberry "Wick's End" by Joanna Parypinski "The Seventeen Year Itch" by Garth Nix "A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night" by Kate Jonez "Witch-Hazel" by Jeffrey Ford "Nos Galen Gaeaf" by Kelley Armstrong "We're Never Inviting Amber Again" by S. P. Miskowski "Sisters" by Brian Evenson "All Through the Night" by Elise Forier Edie "A Kingdom of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds" by Eric J. Guignard "The Turn" by Paul Kane "Jack" by Pat Cadigan "Lost in the Dark" by John Langan "The First Lunar Halloween" by John R. Little"--… (more)

A mostly pretty good collection of Halloween stories. They were certainly more diverse than the ones in a similarly-themed collection I read a few years ago; they never felt repetitive or monotonous. No stories of trick-or-treaters going to that one dark house on the street where they say a witch lives. My favorite story was by Brian Evenson--a funny (but not silly) story about a family studying humans and their seasonal traditions. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
A great read leading up to Halloween. My favourite stories from this anthology are "Dirtmouth" by Stephen Graham Jones, "The Seventeen-Year Itch" by Garth Nix, "Witch Hazel" by Jeffrey Ford, "All Through the Night" by Elise Forier Edie and "A Kingdom of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds" by Eric J. Guignard (I was not expecting for this story to leave me feeling as sad as it did). ( )
  ChantelleRaven | Oct 20, 2018 |
A good enough collection of short stories, all centered around the night of Halloween. The real standout was Lost in the Dark by John Langan. I've already added his other short story collections to my TBR. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Sep 7, 2018 |
I have learned a few things about myself as a reader over the course of last year. Anthologies, for me, are either a complete hit or a definite miss...and usually it's the latter. I got to page 129 of this book before I decided to give it a pass. I read the first 7 short stories and it wasn't the writing that was putting me off (that was quite good) it was more that I just wasn't in the mood to continue. This may have been due in part because I had inundated myself with way too many supernatural books (it was Halloween time if you recall) and the short story collection Fearsome Creatures of the Lumberwoods blew me away SO hard. The common thread running through the stories in Haunted Nights was that they were all set on Halloween night which was a really cool idea.

I want to give a shout out to the story "The Seven Year Itch" because that one was SUPER creepy and was my favorite of the few that I read. I'll most likely check out some of the writers from this anthology in the future. :-)
  AliceaP | Feb 15, 2018 |
A fun collection by a group of authors who were mostly unfamiliar to me (Garth Nix & Jeffrey Ford I've read before, but the others I didn't recognize). The “Halloween” theme offered plenty of room for variety and, aside from a couple takes on the “Stingy Jack” story, there is little repetition. As with most collections, I didn't care for all the stories, but on the whole I was well satisfied. A quick survey...

With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds, by Seanan McGuire – a nice “normal” ghost story to kick things off. A favorite.

Dirtmouth, by Stephen Graham Jones – “different,” interesting. The ending took me aback, but I did enjoy the story.

A Small Taste of the Old Country, by Jonathan Maberry – this one felt overlong to me, and there were few surprises, but it was quite satisfying anyway.

Wick's End, by Joanna Parypinski – Meh. Predictable and lacking any charm.

The Seventeen-Year Itch, by Garth Nix – Also predictable, but some appealing characters. Not bad.

A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night, by Kate Jonez – Pointless and dull.

Witch Hazel, by Jeffrey Ford – Backwoods shenanigans. As if chiggers weren't naturally creepy enough, this story cranks up their parasitic menace!

Nos Galan Gaeaf, by Kelley Armstrong – A story with some interesting elements, but they failed to boost it out of its prosaic “petulant brat seeks revenge” gear.

We're Never Inviting Amber Again, by S.P. Miskowski – Dull and grubby.

Sisters, by Brian Evenson – Maybe this deserves points for being... different, but it just didn't appeal to me.

All Through the Night, by Elise Forier Edie – A little sad and a lot boring.

A Kingdom of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds, by Eric J. Guignard – The only story in the collection I found “unreadable.”

The Turn, by Paul Kane – This one wasn't awful, but it felt like a lot of set-up for a really anticlimactic ending.

Jack, by Pat Cadigan – Predictable, but I enjoyed it. Following six “meh” or worse stories probably helped it.

Lost in the Dark, by John Langan – This I enjoyed. I've never seen “The Blair Witch Project” (though I did see “Cloverfield,” which my son tells me is the same sort of thing), but I enjoyed this take-off on that genre anyway. The longest story in the collection (I think), this is spooky and creative and leaves the right amount of mystery.

The First Lunar Halloween, by John R. Little – A sort of cutesy little story to end on, this one is barely spooky, but it's inoffensive, short, and it has the distinction of being the only story in the collection that doesn't take place on Earth. So there's that.

Out of sixteen stories there were seven that I enjoyed. Not a great ratio, but not terrible, either. And the longest story was a good one, and next to last, which helps. Three and a half stars. ( )
  meandmybooks | Nov 5, 2017 |

McGuire, SeananContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miskowski, SPContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nix, GarthContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parypinski, JoannaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,720,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible