Haunted Nights (Blumhouse Books) by Lisa…

Haunted Nights (Blumhouse Books) (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Lisa Morton (Editor)

11912184,503 (3.68)11
"Sixteen never-before-published chilling tales that explore every aspect of our darkest holiday, Halloween, co-edited by Ellen Datlow, one of the most successful and respected genre editors, and Lisa Morton, a leading authority on Halloween. In addition to stories about scheming jack-o'-lanterns, vengeful ghosts, otherworldly changelings, disturbingly realistic haunted attractions, masks that cover terrifying faces, murderous urban legends, parties gone bad, cult Halloween movies, and trick or treating in the future, Haunted Nights also offers terrifying and mind-bending explorations of related holidays like All Souls' Day, Dia de los Muertos, and Devil's Night. "With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds" by Seanan McGuire "Dirtmouth" by Stephen Graham Jones" "A Small Taste of the Old Countr" by Jonathan Maberry "Wick's End" by Joanna Parypinski "The Seventeen Year Itch" by Garth Nix "A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night" by Kate Jonez "Witch-Hazel" by Jeffrey Ford "Nos Galen Gaeaf" by Kelley Armstrong "We're Never Inviting Amber Again" by S. P. Miskowski "Sisters" by Brian Evenson "All Through the Night" by Elise Forier Edie "A Kingdom of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds" by Eric J. Guignard "The Turn" by Paul Kane "Jack" by Pat Cadigan "Lost in the Dark" by John Langan "The First Lunar Halloween" by John R. Little"--… (more)
Member:JamesT1
Title:Haunted Nights (Blumhouse Books)
Authors:Lisa Morton (Editor)
Info:Anchor (2017), 368 pages

Work Information

Haunted Nights by Lisa Morton (Editor) (2017)

Favorites from the book:
- We're Never Inviting Amber Again- by S.P. Miskowski 4*
- The Turn- by Paul Kane narrated by Michael Kramer 5*. The narrator made a good story even better.
--------------------------------------

I had searched the library catalog for audiobooks by Jeffrey Ford. This collection came up. great :) I'm really only here for that story but will give the others a chance.

- Intro by Lisa Morton was great. History of Halloween. Credits USA to current celebration and I forgot about the Irish influence. Turnip carvings ---> pumpkin carvings.

- With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds- by Seanan McGuire 1*
ugh I restored my review from backup but my spoiler/reminder notes were eaten in the process.

- Dirtmouth- by Stephen Graham Jones 2*
The narrator of the story is talking to the police after the disappearance of his very small children.

- A Small Taste of the Old Country- by Jonathan Maberry DNF
I tried really hard but had to quit. A baker from the old country is luring some men to his home to have a traditional meal because all his people are dead and he just wants to share the good foods of his heritage. But the lure has to be for sinister reasons but it's way too long of a build up without any reader rewards along the way except weak anticipation...

-Wick's End- by Joanna Parypinski DNF
The "Irish accent" of the audiobook narrator may have been a deterrent because I couldn't hang too long with this one either. (sorry ancestors) A male character says his light is running low (maybe he said fading) and needs to find a mark. He finds a female character in a bar with really black eyes (not human?) and they have a scary story contest. They will each tell a scary story and the winner buys the drink round. I heard her story and he started his and I quit. something about an ancient coin. He used an ancient coin for the who-goes-first coin toss *yawn*

-The Seventeen Year Itch- by Garth Nix DNF
"12 days before halloween, 10 days before halloween, 1 week before halloween...." I tapped out.

-A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night- by Kate Jonez 1*
A troubled teen keeps his poop in a jar. oh great. Done with story now. That was an absolute waste of time. Hey let's watch a struggling single mother with some children she can't care for, can't supervise and can't protect. Was that the horror? Real life? What was the flicker of light mentioned in the title? The neighbor who gave her some soup which she was grateful for because they were about to only have toast [with jelly] for dinner. No one actually ate the soup. How about the gas from the neighbor? She was going to steal it but he gave her some. The can was rusted and when she picked it up, the gas spilled out. Did she return home to die in a fire? Will skip all future stories by this author. Not clear enough for me.

-----------------------------------------
wow. all the above are fails for me. I've read reviews that say the 2nd half saved it. *fingers crossed*
-----------------------------------------

-Witch-Hazel- by Jeffrey Ford 2*
First half of story is good but the last half was meh. A historical horror story. Perhaps I listened to it in too many chunks rather than running straight through but it got choppy. Too ambiguous and disjointed.

-Nos Galen Gaeaf- by Kelley Armstrong DNF the main characters are children. Maybe MG or early HS. I don't want to hear a story with children protagonists at this time. I gave it a chance but decided to skip.

-We're Never Inviting Amber Again- by S.P. Miskowski 4*
finally what I consider a story. Husband and wife throwing Halloween party. Sister in law is always bringing the drama and the husband knows it. Hopefully the sister/wife is on board now.

-Sisters- by Brian Evenson 3*
we don't know what type of beings we are dealing with but they are trying to fit in with humans. It is Halloween and one of the 'beings' wants to trick or treat so she is trying to understand the "holiday" so the story is funny in that way. I listened on audio so I can't easily go back and find a passage but I'll paraphrase "you mean you go to a door and say - do you want me to rip your arm off and slap you with the hand or are you going to let me take a bunch of sweet treats?" The mom, says "where did you hear that, I'm not sure that is how it's done" She says "I'm improving it". If you like this story I recommend another. It's about an alien coming down to our planet and misunderstanding all he sees. It's called Lost by Leanne Frahm and I read it in Chrysalis 10

-All Through the Night- by Elise Forier Edie - started, but decided to DNF shortly after.

-A Kingdom of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds- by Eric J. Guignard 2*
Oh good another story I can follow along with. *please take my hand, tell me a story*
Clack-clack-clack
Under all the Day of the Dead window dressing is a partial story about a man being helped to make peace with his dead friend. They shared a kiss which was witnessed by a local gang.

-The Turn- by Paul Kane 5*
Loved the narrator's voice. If anyone can tell me who he is please do! ETA: I think I found him Michael Kramer ( https://www.audible.com/ep/NGHV3-Kramer Mistborn sample. That has got to be him) This was my favorite story of the book so far. Told from 2 perspectives. A man who has trained all his life in the old ways of avoiding evil. And a form of evil, doing his thing on Halloween Night. They meet up.

stole from a better review but it's perfect, I'm sorry!

On re-read... He is not a supernatural. He turned!!!

-Jack- by Pat Cadigan Started but DNF too chick-lit for me

-Lost in the Dark- by John Langan Started but DNF.
I want interesting short stories, not a really long boring short stories. Something about college professor & a student's past and present, documentaries, movies, a mine. *yawn* I decided to listen to THE TURN again instead and was not disappointed. THAT NARRATOR!!! But if you read the reviews many people call LOST IN THE DARK the only good story in the book. I'm definitely going to need a short story break after this book.

-The First Lunar Halloween- by John R. Little 3*
Has one of those classic ironic endings.

own "The Turn" audio but it has it's own separate listing ( )
  Seayla2020 | Aug 16, 2021 |
A collection of short stories published by Blumhouse Books, part of Blumhouse Productions.
Here are stories that feature traditional horror tropes, such as the haunted house or secluded cabin, but each story has an unexpected twist that brings a freshness and true creepiness. These are character driven stories rather than gory, in fact there's little blood. All the stories have at least a part that takes place on Halloween.
In "We're Never Inviting Amber Again" by S.P. Miskowski, a jerk who hates his sister-in-law is given proof that she isn't just an attention-seeking weirdo. In "The Seventeen Year Itch" by Garth Nix, the long-time employees of a psych ward try to convince a new doctor that they need to take special precautions on Halloween with a certain patient.
Well-chosen, well-written and highly recommended. ( )
  mstrust | Mar 23, 2021 |
Young people these days
taking part in ancient rites
bleeding out in caves. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
This new collection of Horror (or I should say strictly Halloween stories,) was probably the best surprise I got this month. I generally don't expect all that much about made-to-order stories based on a theme, but every single one of these was consistently awesome. Some were rather extraordinary.

Something else that comes as a rather nice surprise was the fact that I've been following most of these authors anyway, so I'm getting a feel for what they'd do naturally and I can even get a sense as to whether their stories are up to snuff. And if you've been reading this far, you can tell I think so. :)

BUT. And here's the odd part... some of my favorite authors aren't getting their top marks in this collection! Seanan McGuire's story, "With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfsbane Seeds", actually fell near to the bottom of my list of favorites! *gasp*

"Dirtmout" by Stephen Graham Jones, was absolutely gorgeous and atmospheric and creepy as hell. This is where I knew I was going to rock to this collection.

Jonathan Maberry's "A Small Taste of the Old Country" was pretty good for a history lesson and a traditional ghost story vibe and I have no complaints even if it didn't strike fear into my heart.

I really loved Joanna Parypinski's "Wick's End". It really captures the taste of sitting around a campfire telling stories about how to beat the devil... even if it's a game in a pub. I LOVE these kinds of stories within stories.

"The Seventeen-Year Itch" by Garth Nix was a good one for hospitals and obsession but it didn't really grab me that much even though it was entertaining.

"A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night" by Kate Jonez was pretty atmospheric even if it was more just a mild horror. :)

"Witch Hazel" by Jeffrey Ford was a decent witch story with twins for all you people who are naturally freaked out by those freaks of nature. :) :)

"Nos Galan Gaeaf" by Kelley Armstrong wasn't part of any of my favorites, unfortunately.

"We're Never Inviting Amber Again" by S.P. Miskowski, was, okay, pretty forgettable, too. :)

BUT Brian Evanson's "Sisters" really knocked things out of the park. I loved the fish out of water aspect. :)

"All Through the Night" by Elise Forier Edie was sweet and bittersweet and thoughtful.

"A Kingdom of Sugar Skulls and Marigolds" by Eric J. Guignard was pretty awesome as an adventure through thug territory living through the Day of the Dead for real. It was pretty brilliant.

Paul Kane's "The Turn" made me turn for real. Nice and scary and a perfect pick me up. :) Boo!

Pat Cadigan's "Jack" was pretty much a pumpkin king. Familiar, full of myth, and decent fun, but kinda middle of the road.

John Langan's "Lost in the Dark" blew me the **** away. This one is easily my absolute favorite of the bunch, half-way a documentary, a horror movie, a barroom expose, and a thoughtful and smart addition to the shaky-cam genre that blows most of the shaky-cams out of the atmosphere. I actually got creeped out and started biting my nails a bit.

And for the last story of the bunch, we got a SF! "The First Lunar Halloween" by John R. Little wasn't particularly scary but it felt like a great lunar/archeological experiment in trickery. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
4.5/5 stars!

Haunted Nights collects several previously unpublished stories from an array of excellent authors-with the bonus that they're all connected- by Halloween. It may not be exactly the Halloween that we as Americans are used to, but the seeds are still the same-whether they're sown in Scotland or Ohio. I found quite a few stories to shine for me in this anthology and here are a few of them:

John Langan's Lost in the Dark is one of my favorite types of haunting tales-the disconcerting kind. That House of Leaves eeriness combined with a cool framing device and several stories within a story all equal out to a very satisfied Char.

With Graveyard Weeds and Wolfbane Seeds by Seanan McGuire was impressive and convinced me that I need to give more of her work a try. Always remember that those Halloween tricks can get you into trouble-especially if you trick the wrong person.

A Small Taste of the Old Country by Jonathan Maberry. This one was predictable, but man, I just wanted it to happen so badly. When it did, I couldn't have been happier.

The Seventeen Year Itch by Garth Nix would have made one hell of a Twilight Zone episode. This story put me in mind of those old horror and sci-mags back in the day. There is a lot of punch, (and scratching!), packed into this short story.

A Flicker of Light on Devil's Night by Kate Jonez is a downer of a tale, but I can't deny how powerfully it was written to make me feel that way.

All Through the Night by Elise Forier Edie What another sad, sad tale! Halloween is not all fun and games and neither is the horror genre. Sometimes it's fun and imaginative, (see The Seventeen Year Itch), but sometimes it's all too realistic. Often it's those hard to look at stories, the ones about the lives of real people and the hardships they go through, that are the most horrific of all.

The Turn by Paul Kane. This is the perfect title-because it's exactly what you want-NO-are compelled to do when you hear footsteps behind you on a dark street. But what if you would be okay, if only you didn't turn. Would you be able not to?

John Little's The First Lunar Halloween and Jeffrey Ford's Witch Hazel rounded out my favorites in this collection.

I loved the fact that ALL of these stories were new and I adored the connection they had to Halloween. I've previously been disappointed in collections where I've discovered, (too late!), that I'd already read many of the stories within. These were fresh tales and featured some fresh, (at least to me), authors, as well as some tried and true.

It is my excited opinion that this anthology belongs on any horror lover's shelves-but especially to those of us that have a love of all things Halloween! Highly recommended!

Get your copy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBQ444Q/chashorcor-20

*Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for this e-ARC in exchange for my honest review. This is it.* ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |

• The Turn / Paul Kane
  • Jack / Pat Cadigan
  • Lost in the Dark / John Langan
  • The First Lunar Halloween / John R. Little

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,382,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible