A Time and a Place

by Joe Mahoney

Other authors: Jeff Minkovics (Cover artist)

1361,266,730 (3.57)None
Barnabus's nephew is behaving oddly. Calling upon Doctor Humphrey for assistance has not been particularly helpful, because the good doctor's diagnosis of demonic possession is clearly preposterous. Even the demon currently ensconced on the front room couch agrees it's preposterous. But then, how else to explain the portal to another world through which his nephew and Humphrey have just now disappeared? Barnabus knows their only chance of rescue is for Barnabus J. Wildebear himself to step up and go through that portal.Thus begins an existential romp across space and time, trampling on Barnabus' assumptions about causality, freewill, identity, good and evil. Can Barnabus save his nephew--and incidentally, all of humanity?… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
More than once I picked this up to read and simply could not do it. It's too much like too many other books and it is also very slow. I received this book from LibrarayThing.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 15, 2019 |
It was the demon Ugertha that drew me in. S/he is a complex character with murky motives. Barnabus must save his nephew, Ridley. He has no idea how he will do it nor what it will cost him. For the first half of the book, my attention was firmly held. There’s these sentient cat-like aliens, the T’Klee, and the evil & dangerous Necronians, who have many tentacles. Barnabus will find allies and enemies around every corner.

The second half of the book got a bit muddled for me. I felt I needed a diagram to keep track of it all. There’s some mind-muddling going on so I was never sure how much of what was simply in Barnabus’s head and how much was happening real time. Plus, there’s the time travel bit. So we have multiple copies of some characters interacting with all of it.

The T’Klee were my favorite bit. I love the idea of large cats with opposable thumbs, their own language & culture, and having to fight the technologically advanced Necronians. Also Swipe was a clever young T’Klee caught up in a bad situation. I was rooting for her the entire time even though I knew things would never be all rainbows and butterflies for her again.

There were few female characters. Besides Swipe, there’s Barnabus’s dead sister (who provides emotional fuel for him and Ridley to get stuff done), and then the scientist Sara (who is always described by her awesome looks first and second and her mental abilities third). Perhaps we can count Ugertha as a female character, but she’s really a mix of all the people she’s absorbed over the years. It would have been nice to have a bit more from the ladies.

The ending rallies a bit. I was still confused about Ugertha who I think becomes known as Jacques… but then there’s also Jack, right? These seem to be all the same ‘demon’ (or alien) at different points in time. But I’m not sure, which is it what bothered me. I want to be sure about such things by the end of a book. Speaking of that ending, it gets rather sentimental and strives for deep thoughts. I found it a little sappy. I wanted a more definitive ending, perhaps following a rousing action scene. All together, it has some fun ideas, a few great scenes, and the T’Klee are most memorable. 3.5/5 stars.

The Narration: Joe Mahoney has narrated his own story. He does a decent job but needs a little polishing all around. He had distinct character voices for all the characters (yay!). There were a few mouth noises here and there. The pacing was just a touch slow but the narration was also clear. The female voices were pretty good though sometimes they could have used a little more femininity. 3.5/5 stars.

I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Joe Mahoney. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Nov 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed A time and a place. It encompasses interesting original concepts and had me hooked from the beginning. My apologies to Mr Mahoney, this review comes a few months after reading it, my lasting impression is I enjoyed the imaginative new worlds created, and await with interest for further books by the author.
  TinaC1 | Jan 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not kindle unlimited, pretty sure got it as one of my here's a free book, no strings, but really hope you find the time to read and review it things.

No idea of the genre, very odd space opera, maybe; .Doctor Who on acid? {Thus begins an existential romp across space and time, trampling on Barnabus' assumptions.}

Too much going on in the book to pick any one thing or event, and don't like risking spoilers anyway. Liked it but didn't luv it, BUT NOT saying it was bad, just not totally my type or maybe the mood, but seemed as if in places it dragged a bit {although that could just be because have to use a vocal reader}.

reviewed back in july but because of delay getting book for some reason and this site got lost in the shuffle, having to go through all of them AGAIN to see what's still messed up ( )
  Key_Largo | Dec 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book! It stars off as a quirky Sci Fy with a main character with a great name - Barnabus Jehosophys Wildebear! And who doesn't love a sassy artificial intelligence system. HAL he is not! But it's not all fun and games. Life, death and extinction are serious business. Can't wait for Mr Mahoney's next book. ( )
  IPagen | Jul 6, 2017 |
This book is well written and fun to read, despite the fact that the main character is more of an anti-hero. Wildebear is well visualized by the author, making him incredibly frustrating to watch bumbling through his bizarre experiences in a misguided attempt to save his nephew. The story itself is imaginative and not wholly predictable. This is a great first novel.

“A Time and a Place” sucked me in from the moment Barnabus Wildebear finds a certain book in his nephew Ridley's bedroom, and I stayed glued to it until late into the night. A fast-paced sci-fi novel, it follows Wildebear through a series of strange and deadly episodes, all in an effort to save his nephew Ridley. Faced with new worlds and menacing enemies, and confronted by the worst moments from their pasts, they are both forced to adapt and change—but not necessarily for the best. Through its unflinching depiction of conflict, this book packs a surprising emotional punch. By the time you reach the end, you’ll be sad to leave this crazy universe behind.
added by ilanderz | editGoodReads, Jenn DeLagren (Sep 21, 2017)

No idea of the genre, very odd space opera, maybe; Doctor Who on acid?

added by ilanderz | editGoodReads, Bonnie Dale Keck (Aug 22, 2017)

Debut author Mahoney sends a mild-mannered fellow on an interdimensional journey in this entertaining, chaotic adventure. Barnabus Wildebear needs to know why his teen nephew and ward, Ridley, is acting so strangely. Unfortunately the cause is an ominous entity, possibly a demon, named Iugurtha. She whisks Ridley away to dimensions unknown while implanting mysterious information in Barnabus’s mind that allows him to (sort of) control portals to other dimensions and times. The odyssey that follows bounces him to other planets, the minds of other people and creatures, temporal loops where effects come before causes, and a war against a merciless enemy seeking to steal the knowledge in his head. Mahoney skillfully (but unsubtly) uses Barnabus’s multilayered adventures to yank readers into moments of comedy, tragedy, horror, and philosophical contemplation of time, free will, and personal responsibility. Despite occasional segments that distract or feel a little overdone, Mahoney’s work is great for those who like their speculative fiction thoughtful, eloquent, and messy.
added by ilanderz | editPublisher's Weekly (Jul 3, 2017)

What a great book - couldn't put it down! I found Wildebear to be a fascinating character study; in some ways a typical man of his generation so easy for us to identify with, but unlike most of us he finds great strength from within. Joe Mahoney places this quirky character into a strange and fascinating set of fantasy worlds creating a wild, wild ride! An intricate plot laced with Mahoney humour and excellent writing.
added by ilanderz | editGoodreads.com, Brian Wyvill (Jun 29, 2017)

Joe Mahoneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeff MinkovicsCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my girls Lynda, Keira and Erin
I greeted Doctor Humphrey at Charlottetown's modest airport.

Joe Mahoney is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,522,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible